BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Australia

Mporium BMW

06-18-2011, 11:04 AM   #1
TAAXED
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Golf

Motortrend: 1M vs. M3 comparison vido

2002 BMW e46 M3 SMG (Titanium Silver/Black) - Sold
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2011, 08:11 PM   #2
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

A little hokey but very interesting... I would tend to agree that the 1M is a great car (and probably the best pure bang for the buck) but the M3 is a very special car that is well worth the premium (based on the engine, looks and more useful size) if money isn't a decision point. Having said that... I haven't driven the 1M so my "opinion" is speculative.
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2011, 12:34 AM   #3
purifyer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e93 335i

am I missing something about the 1m?

ie. Couldn't you just mod a 135i to kick its ass for half the price difference? (straight line and handling)

Because.. isn't that basically what BMW did?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2011, 01:10 AM   #4
Totti
Troll
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Spot on. I'm basically driving a 1M now minus some fake air vents and an LSD+Suspension package.

It's a great car however.
Use the stick like u would a manual. If that doesn't work, put it in D mode and put both hands at 10 and 2. If that doesn't work, just sit on your right hand.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2011, 01:59 AM   #5
MFKN3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: supercharged 4.4L stroker E92

Good write up! How come the M1 got an M badge instead of "M1"?

Haven't seen an M1 yet but they seem slightly less ugly than the typical 1'er thanks to the beefed up kit. I'm sure the 1M is a great car, but I just love the M3

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...son/index.html

Quote:
The 1M may pull strongly when its computer allows the torque boost, but while it's figuring that out, the M3 simply revs. And how it revs! This exhaust note should be weaponized; anyone within earshot is rendered a quivering mess.

We meet in the first corner, and I watch as the 1M's rear wiggles along the pavement. Both cars are adept at these speeds, but Lieberman is working harder. The M3 requires little effort; every steering input feels faultless, as if you aren't controlling the car by a wheel but instead willing it along a preordained path.
Quote:
When we pull over, Lieberman is stupefied about the 1M's torque supply, asking, "370 pound-feet? On what planet? This feels like so much more."
Quote:
Nevertheless, the functional changes work excellently. The shift knob fits my palm agreeably and returns neat and tidy throws (Lieberman, for the record, expresses wanton distaste for the feel of the stick as well as all BMW manuals), while the gray-faced gauges clearly indicate redline. The clutch feel is the best of any BMW currently available.

The 1M's steering feels distinctly quicker and lighter, and while entertaining, it's a tick less communicative than the M3's telepathy.
Quote:
The 1M's wide torque delivery means a smoother commute during the daily grind, but the M3's race motor characteristics make it feel special. This special sensation is what the 1M most lacks, but that's not to say it disappoints. It is perhaps one of the most entertaining cars since the Z3-based M Coupe: light, involving, and bonkers quick.

SUMMARY:

Quote:
The 1M signals a return to driving-focused enjoyment, not to mention it's as fast as the M3 and costs way less.

But is it better? Lieberman and I agree: No. This big, heavy, and expensive M3, with its unflappable confidence and lascivious powertrain, is the car we want, the car we'll remember as the best of the naturally aspirated Ms. It's the one we'll tell young gearheads about in a few decades with the same fondness and reverence as given its E30 ancestor. The 1M doesn't measure up to the M3's standard. Few cars do.
Appreciate 0