BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-15-2011, 02:24 AM   #1
john2234
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i 2010 standard

Hi, everyone, quick question about manual 128i

I have a BMW 128i 2010 with standard transmission. I wonder when you guys shift from first gear into second, do you wait until the RPM drops to match the engine or you just let the car give you a push? I usually shift between 3-4k RPM, and I will wait a little bit so my shift is comfortable.

I wonder what will people do when they are doing 0 - 100 time attack? will they wait or just shift as soon as possible?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2011, 08:17 AM   #2
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport :D

When lazily driving around town i shift slowly and delibrately enough that the revs and tranny match as closely as possible. When going for maximum acceleration, you just shift as fast as possible and let the car "push" you forward.
      06-15-2011, 09:00 AM   #3
GO135i007
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 135i Alpine/Coral

Quote:
Originally Posted by john2234 View Post
I wonder what will people do when they are doing 0 - 100 time attack? will they wait or just shift as soon as possible?
You take it to red line and then shift.
      06-15-2011, 09:56 PM   #4
Guildenstern
or Rosencrantz
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Montego Blue 128i

Garage List
2008 128i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
I have a BMW 128i 2010 with standard transmission. I wonder when you guys shift from first gear into second, do you wait until the RPM drops to match the engine or you just let the car give you a push? I usually shift between 3-4k RPM, and I will wait a little bit so my shift is comfortable.

Idealy for normal driving you want to minimize shock to the drivetrain. Usualy a 2 beat motion on clutch disengagement does the trick (Clutch pedal down then, slip (out of First)/pop (into 2nd), then clutch pedal back up) while the whole time feathering the throttle.

For me anyways 1-2 seems like the slowest shift in the car. Not sure if it's due to gear spacing, linkage, a less then perfect synchro, or the ever loathed CDV.

When you are going for maximum performance you usualy will be putting load onto the drivetrain before the clutch is all the way engaged. (and also possibly rushing the synchros a bit) Not great for the clutch or the rest of the drivetrain in the long run, (or sometimes even in the short run)I think the CDV is put in primamaly so the clutch takes the lions share of the abuse.

But as always keep in mind, the harder you push for Maximum performance, the shorter the reliable lifespan. A road car can go +200,000 miles when driven smoothly below maximum performance, while a top fuel dragster can go around what, 1/4 mile at total maximum performance before needing a full rebuild?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2011, 10:46 PM   #5
HeyMoe53
Captain
Rep
Drives: '17 M240 AW/Coral MT

+1 on Guildenstern. I pick my moments to pound on it.

Though, I push it more than with previous cars I've owned. It's the nature of the car.

IMHO, the 128 manual is the "sleeper" of the 1 lineup. It's way fun to drive (with Sport or M-Sport), the stick 128 trumps the auto by a lot, it's plenty fast enough, and I never wondered when my fuel pump would go out.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 03:48 AM   #6
john2234
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i 2010 standard

THanks for the replies!!!!!!

The manual 128i is very fun to drive, especially driving in Burnaby, B.C where there are a lot of hills.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 07:09 PM   #7
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:

The response I can give is...it depends.
If it feels smooth, then you're probably doing just fine.
If you're driving casually/normally, not going for fastest 0-whatever, then just go by what feels comfortable to you, and isn't giving the drive line undue harshness. If you wait too long to get back on the throttle you'll get an odd "jerk" as the engine rpm tries to catch up to the vehicles speed for the given gear.
If you go too fast you'll get a quick "pull", usually happens if you hold the throttle too long once you've disengaged the clutch. The engine speed/rpm will be higher than the vehicle speed for a given gear.

As others have said, if you're going for the fastest run, then you do everything quickly and if done correctly you should simply feel the car constantly pulling.
As well, even when driving at a slower or normal pace, if you do the shift correctly you should feel the car constantly pulling, just as a slower pace.
Appreciate 0