BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-10-2011, 10:49 AM   #1
AntonV
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Sedona/Savanna 135i

SW Update/Detune-Dont we have any say in the matter?

Ive been holding off as long as I possibly can to take my car to the dealership for service. Its pretty ironic that we've payed a premium for included BMW Maintenance and a lot of us don't want to actually bring our cars to the dealer.

Today marks the 2 year anniversary that I picked up my car from the dealership. Only have 8000 miles =). Ive got a bunch of service lights on the dash that its time to cash in on. F & R brake fluid, oil, etc.... I want these services performed, now.

Unfortunately, I don't want to bring the car in for regular maintenance, because I don't want them messing with everything else...

#1) HPFP recall. Mine is still working perfectly. If it aint broke, don't fix it. Whats happening with the 446 pump? Is it the answer to our problems?

#2) Injector replacement. This I actually want inspected & replaced if necessary. I wouldn't know if all of my injectors aren't functioning properly. The car seems fine to me, but I only drive it once a week, so I could not be in sync with the car.

#3) Seat belt tensioner recall. I really don't want them tearing up interior fabric pieces & getting greasy marks all over my savanna beige leather. They managed to do this already, even with plastic covers over the seats, during last years oil change.

#4) The newest software update. Its obviously a de-tuning of the original product we all purchased. I did read a thread that we can deny the update, but I think it wont be as easy as we think, especially if we leave the car there. They'll just do it anyway.

Back to my title question....

Don't we have any legal rights with this newest software update? We purchased a car that performed a certain way. It doesn't seem right that BMW's answer to all of their turbo problems is to make the original product less aggressive. Its obviously quite noticeable from what Ive read here. Any lawyers on the forum have some insight?

2005 BMW F650 GS - Mandarin Yellow - Farkled
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 11:24 AM   #2
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

1 + 2) I got my HPFP and injectors inspected and replaced (only like one of the injectors needed to be replaced) a few months ago. Haven't had a problem since. I'm very happy with it

3) I got mine done and no scuff marks were left. I've heard stories of it though. Sounds like your dealership is just sloppy. When you bring it in, just tell your service adviser in a blunt but polite way "Look, your guys scuffed up my car before. I don't wanna be a pain, but can you guys be more careful?" If it DOES happen again, you can bitch and moan and you'll probably get a free full detailing.

4) I've brought the car in for small things and have said "I'm short on time and I want my car back as fast as possible, can you just (change the tires, change the oil, whatever I came in for, etc) without all the software updates and random stuff you guys sometimes do without telling me?" and my SA said it was fine. Though it might depend on your SA and how friendly / close they are to you. Though, to my knowledge, none of the most most recent N54 updates really nerf the power, only the N55 updates fuck with tunes..

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived... Mmhm.

Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 11:53 AM   #3
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
#1) Just because your HPFP hasn't failed *YET* doesn't mean that it won't. Mine failed right around the mileage you have, others have failed with over 20k. All I know is every single person I know with an N54 has had at least one failure (6 people).

#2) Injectors have not been replaced on so many cars and it's typically those with multiple failures so you won't have to worry about that.

#3) I was worried about this one as well but the car looked perfect when I picked it up but they did break 2 clips which caused a bad rattling. This was fixed when I brought it in again.

#4) It's not a de-tuning. My car actually got a bit quicker.

They are required to perform all open campaigns on the car when it is in for service.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 02:40 PM   #4
Prof T
COACH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135 conv, 2009 M3

......and I am friends with four 135 owners. None have had any HPFP trouble (three 2009's and one 2010). They have 43k,19k,27k and around 30k miles on them.

Speedbike is right on. Just tell them you don't have time right now to have the work done.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 02:52 PM   #5
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Rule #1 of having someone work on your car is to do an extensive walk-around with a manager, telling them to focus carefully on the areas that will be worked on. It's nothing new to them and most are happy to oblige. I've had 2 shops buy me new wheels (1 for my GTI, 1 for the 1er) for messing up the wheel during a simple $20 tire plug/patch.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0