Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 ZCP M3 Frozen Grey

Help on purchasing an m3 please

Hi:

I saw this m3 on autotrader.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/search/u.../sort/priceasc

Is this any good? Price is very good. I know it has 3 owners and Im going to be the forth. As long as the car is in good state then I am fine with it. But are there any known issues with m3? Because I own an e92 335i msport right now, I saw the prices of m3 are coming down and I found this. Any possible suggestions of why people keep selling this particular m3? Could it be that it has a mechanical issue? But it says it has full bmw history, so issues should be sorted, right?

Also, since I am driving an auto 335i now. How is it like comparing to driving a manual m3? I have driven the e46 m3, normal driving is fine but once I was in the congestion, I found it tough as the biting point was quite high?

Please give me some guidance.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 03:31 PM   #2
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Whats your budget?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 04:09 PM   #3
ed335d
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

It's ok, with average mileage for the age.

It does not, however, have any significant or desirable options such as EDC, USB or an updated hifi. It does have front PDC, although this isn't listed.

I would have a look at the BMW site, there are cars on there that are not too much more and will come with a 1 year AUC warranty.

It will be a 57 plate.
      05-24-2011, 05:31 PM   #4
barton2002
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 ZCP M3 Frozen Grey

Is EDC desired? I always thought that it comes as standard on m3... sigh... Anyway, I have been driving my 335i with no EDC so...maybe I think I will be used to it?

My budget isnt too high, around 28k would be my max, I need to spend money on a bit of mods and insurance anyway... Also, house purchasing as well soon! So no much money allowed on cars. If not, I would prefer DTC, EDC everything man, lol!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 12:31 AM   #5
jonasaurus
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 [Sold]

Unless you are getting a decent px based on no EDC I'd hold out for EDC. Business Hi-Fi versus Harmon Kardon is probably a personal choice.
      05-25-2011, 05:36 AM   #6
CardinalZeus77
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991.2 Carrera S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed335d View Post
It's ok, with average mileage for the age.

It does not, however, have any significant or desirable options such as EDC, USB or an updated hifi. It does have front PDC, although this isn't listed.

I would have a look at the BMW site, there are cars on there that are not too much more and will come with a 1 year AUC warranty.

It will be a 57 plate.
I would agree with Ed on the EDC, USB and updated hifi options making the car more desirable.

I have had my one for 2.5 years and have never had any issues with it so reliability is very good. As to the manual vs auto that will be personal choice. If you are used to an auto you may get tired of the gear changes in traffic.
Sold: F80 M3 Black Sapphire/Sakhir Orange
Sold: E92 M3 Jerez Black/Fox Red Leather
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 07:43 AM   #7
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

I've had my non EDC E92 M3 for a couple of years and the lack hasn't bothered me in the slightest...sure if you can find one with EDC then thats better but if not I wouldn't let it put you off if all the other "boxes are ticked".
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 04:23 AM   #8
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
+1 on the EDC - who actually uses it?

Hard setting is way too hard for UK roads and really for track only, and who wants an M3 on soft setting? The normal setting rides virtually the same as a non-EDC M3.

I have lowered mine with Eibach Sportsline springs and the ride is superb. With the geometry properly set up (they are CRAP from the factory!) the car handles and rides superbly and I have never once in 2 years thought (I wish I had EDC)

I would say the DCT is fantastic, and personally would never spec an M3 without it - the settings are variable so in traffic just set it to D1 (using the small rocker by the gearstick) and the car pulls off in second and becomes a pussy cat, changing gear at low revs etc. - The early software settings had a lot of bad press but most cars will have been updated by now.

At under 25k that car seems a great buy and has a decent amount of options, certainly not all, but shadowline and tints help the exterior out a lot

Reliability is spot on - mine is just over 2 yrs old and have had very few issues, none serious. It has just had it's first service at 14k miles which at 2 years is pretty good on a performance car like this.

If it had EDC and a couple more options it would be nearer 30k and not quite the bargain it it is now IMO.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 02:51 PM   #9
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Individual Edition

Barton,

I switch setting on EDC every time I drive and think it's great. Though if having never driven one with, it's likely that you won't miss it.

Never a fan of the DCT due to the continual software issues. Now having recently driven one, it took some of the driving pleasure and engagement away and I felt less involved. I could see it would be helpful on track so that both hands could be kept on the wheel.

The manual box in the M3 is great, mechanical and very positive in action.

Do your research before buying and if you don't know what to look for an car not under warranty, get in professionally inspected.

M3 are fairly robust though some people have had issues with clutches and dual mass flywheels.

Join M3 cutters and search the site
Appreciate 0