XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

04-14-2011, 07:51 AM   #1
kwilkins
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S e

X5 M, Objectivity on ride quality.

I’m doing research on the X5 M, I’m in the process of reading every review I can find along with forum posts.

So far all the reviews I’ve read are very consistent with respect to the power, handling, and fun factor of the X5 M, in fact “laughter” is a frequent comment in the reviews. I don’t think I’ve ever seen that before. However; when it comes to ride quality, harshness of ride, road noise, performance on bumpy roads, etc, the reviews are all over the board. Some of the reviews say the X5 M is a fine daily-driver and even provides a more comfortable ride than the regular X5. Other reviews say it’s terrible and mention things like getting dental insurance because the ride is so rough.

I have no doubt I’ll love the performance of the X5 M, and the utility of all that space is appealing to me, but I don’t want a car that’s uncomfortable most of the time and fun on the occasions when you get to let loose. I want to test drive the car but I live in Southern NJ (near Philadelphia) and none of the dealers around here have an X5 M to test.

I’m interested to hear objective opinions from X5 M owners on the issue of ride quality. I understand it’s tough to be “objective” when you’ve already committed around $100k, but please share the good, the bad, and the ugly, with respect to what it’s like to drive the X5 M in normal daily conditions, you know, when your not off having the time of your life thrashing the X5 M to it’s limits.

Thanks,
Ken
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 01:44 PM   #2
NiceRide
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5M Alpine White

I currently own an '11 X5M and an '11 X50. Here's a very general response to your inquiry:

The X5M ride quality is indeed more smooth than the X50, even though it sits a little lower. As a daily driver the M wins hands down, it's more refined and feels more isolated from the road (could be a bad thing if you like to feel more "connected" to your vehicle and the road).

The big difference between the two, imho, is the behavior of the transmission. X50 8-sp is butter smooth, and seems to find itself in the right gear most times. The M's 6-sp, though smooth, doesn't always find itself in the right gear: too conservative in regular drive mode, and too aggressive in sports mode. I find the X50 a more "crude" driving experience and more engaging than the M.

Final verdict: the appeal of the M outweighs the X50. If your main concern is comfort, the X5M wins easily, among other things, over the X50.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 02:09 PM   #3
kwilkins
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceRide View Post
I currently own an '11 X5M and an '11 X50. Here's a very general response to your inquiry:

The X5M ride quality is indeed more smooth than the X50, even though it sits a little lower. As a daily driver the M wins hands down, it's more refined and feels more isolated from the road (could be a bad thing if you like to feel more "connected" to your vehicle and the road).

The big difference between the two, imho, is the behavior of the transmission. X50 8-sp is butter smooth, and seems to find itself in the right gear most times. The M's 6-sp, though smooth, doesn't always find itself in the right gear: too conservative in regular drive mode, and too aggressive in sports mode. I find the X50 a more "crude" driving experience and more engaging than the M.

Final verdict: the appeal of the M outweighs the X50. If your main concern is comfort, the X5M wins easily, among other things, over the X50.
Thanks for the reply and your perspective.

I did get confused by the following sentence though “I find the X50 a more "crude" driving experience and more engaging than the M.”

Could you elaborate on that?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 03:07 PM   #4
dreamerx5
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: x5 (LEMON)

I would love an X5 M....Too bad i can't afford it!
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 04:06 PM   #5
NiceRide
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilkins View Post
Thanks for the reply and your perspective.

I did get confused by the following sentence though “I find the X50 a more "crude" driving experience and more engaging than the M.”

Could you elaborate on that?
The undulations / vibrations from the road find themselves into the cabin in an X50 more than the X5M. Acceleration aside, I simply have more feel for the road in the X50, to me that makes the drive engaging. I don't mean to knock the M for being a more refined beast, but sometimes the drive feels a bit mundane.....until I start rowing through the gears via those pathetic steering wheel mounted paddle shifters, and then I'm enthused for a few seconds.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 05:07 PM   #6
kwilkins
Private
Rep

Quote:
The undulations / vibrations from the road find themselves into the cabin in an X50 more than the X5M. Acceleration aside, I simply have more feel for the road in the X50, to me that makes the drive engaging. I don't mean to knock the M for being a more refined beast, but sometimes the drive feels a bit mundane.....until I start rowing through the gears via those pathetic steering wheel mounted paddle shifters, and then I'm enthused for a few seconds.
Thanks for the clarification, now I understand.

It does seem counter-intuitive that the sportier car (M) would be less engaging than the X50, but you would know.

If you could keep only one which would it be?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 05:46 PM   #7
NiceRide
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilkins View Post
Thanks for the clarification, now I understand.

It does seem counter-intuitive that the sportier car (M) would be less engaging than the X50, but you would know.

If you could keep only one which would it be?
X5M: It's still the better SAV stock for stock all things considered. I'm actually in the process of unloading the X50, but hanging on to the X5M for now. I'm in company of a couple other 500hp beasts, so I don't know how long the X5M will last. The X5M is definitely a great overall package, highly recommended if you can swing it. Mine has the full merino leather upgrade, a nice option to say the least.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 06:15 PM   #8
kwilkins
Private
Rep

Quote:
X5M: It's still the better SAV stock for stock all things considered. I'm actually in the process of unloading the X50, but hanging on to the X5M for now. I'm in company of a couple other 500hp beasts, so I don't know how long the X5M will last. The X5M is definitely a great overall package, highly recommended if you can swing it. Mine has the full merino leather upgrade, a nice option to say the least.
If I go with the X5M I'll get most options, including the full merino leather upgrade. I was actually surprised at the short option list on the car compared to others in the price range, including various BMW models.

As strange as it seems the other serious contender is the Audi A8 Normal Wheel Base with the rear sport differential. I understand they are two entirely different vehicles that serve different purposes. The A8 is amazingly luxurious and has decent driving dynamics for the type of car it is. My concern with the A8 is after a while all the luxury and a little bit of driving fun will be, well, it may get boring. I have a near-opposite concern with the X5M. I know it will be a great deal of fun to drive, but am concerned the novelty of that will wear off and I'll end up being disappointed that I'm bouncing around with a stiff ride (compared to the A8) during most of my routine driving.

I keep my cars for 5 years, so the commitment is relatively long term. My wife says I'm driving my self crazy and she's right, but of course I wouldn't let her know that.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 08:53 PM   #9
NiceRide
Enlisted Member
Rep

Oh man, the A8 will probably leave you a bit disappointed. X5M all the way. I entertained earlier gen S8 but could never pull the trigger. Just not enough car for the money, even at heavily depreciated used prices. I can't think of one thing the A8 does better than an X5M.

If you're leaning towards the X5M:

1. Warranty...buy an extended warranty if you know you'll drive significant miles. Peace of mind goes a long way. X5s in general haven't been known to be reliable

2. Depreciation: Residual on an X5M is weakest amongst the X5 line, albeit stronger than it's confused sibling X6M. This won't matter much if you plan on keeping the X5M longer than 5 yrs.

3. Fun factor: Sure some M purists will disagree, but the X5M deserves the M badge. I've owned an e60 M5 and had a few hundred miles of seat time in an e92 M3, and don't understand the knocks against the X5M (forced induction? low rev limit? truck?). It's the real deal M, and does amazingly well at MODERATE (not extreme) canyon carving. M3 guys have a hard time accepting defeat from a 5k lb truck, and M5 guys...well...I just think they're envious this behemoth X5M can perform on par and exceed on practicality. Anyways I'll stop before I need to put a flame suit on, but then again.....M3 and M5 guys are probably too cool to be browsing through the X5 SAV forum....

Whatever you decide on, bottom line is have FUN with your ride, whether that be just cruising on the street or bumper to bumper on the 101 rush hour.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 09:35 PM   #10
kennyt
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5M

I sold my M3 for the X5M. I've driven them both at more than 90m/hr and despite the heavy weight the X5M corners very close (with M mode on) to the M3. I use the X5M for daily driving and feel the ride is more comfortable than the M3 (with EDC off).

To me the X5M satisfies my needs for space (kid coming soon), winter driving vehicle, to be the pack leader on the road, canyon carving in the summer (it can do more than moderate if you have the right tires and turn M mode on), etc.

Picture this: you're driving in the right lane and it is coming to an end. You need to merge left but the vehicle on the left is not slowing down to let you in. No problem. Push the M button on the steering wheel and tap the gas pedal. You're now in the left lane. The X5M has never let me down no matter what the other vehicle is.
In general M vehicles are responsive and you can precisely predict the timing when you want them to do something. That is why I am not moving to a non-M car.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2011, 05:57 AM   #11
Nototrader
Rep
Drives: X5M

Ride quality

I had the same concerns before getting my x5m. The car is awesome and worth every penny. However, my previous daily driver was a full size range rover. Initially, the x5m was noticeably a rougher ride. However, when I put on my non run flat pirelli scorpions for the winter, all the roughness disappeared. The stock run flat summer tires make a huge difference in the ride quality, especially on bumpy roads. However, if it really bothers you, you can always change the tires and solve that problem. Overall, the best daily driver I have ever had.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2011, 11:22 AM   #12
zuschnell
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 m5, '18 991.2 gt3,

I have an m3 and an x5m. The x5m is as comfortable as a car should be. The only surprise in driving this car is how comfortable a sports car can be. Make no mistake that this is a sports car. The a8 has nothing on this car except possibly better gas mileage. I love my m3 and I use it as my daily driver, but it is no where as comfy as the x5m when crusing on crappy roads. I live in Chicago where the roads are total sh*t most of the year and I've never felt the x5m ride quality was a problem. Any long trips my wife and I go on are almost always in the x5m. We have a baby on the way in a few months and I have zero concerns about our little guy riding in the car. My wife and I were as little worried about that before we bought the car but after a test drive all concerns were eased.

Pull the trigger on the x5m! If you are a car enthusiast and can afford to pay the exorbitant price for something that quite possibly shouldn't exist, there may be no better way to spend your money than on this ultimate family mover.

Current: ?13 e92 m3 ESS 585, 22 f95 x5m Comp, Track - '18 manual 991.2 GT3, Wife's family truckster - '20 Volvo XC90 T8
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2011, 08:07 AM   #13
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
The X5M ride quality is indeed more smooth than the X50, even though it sits a little lower.
Can I ask what size tires you have on the X50? I'm trying to decide between 19s and 20s (ride vs. look).
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 03:12 PM   #14
NiceRide
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
Can I ask what size tires you have on the X50? I'm trying to decide between 19s and 20s (ride vs. look).
275/40/20 and 315/35/20 RFTs. I have not driven an X5 with the standard sizes.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 09:46 AM   #15
needspeed
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 10 X5 M/05 F430/12 CTS-V Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
I sold my M3 for the X5M. I've driven them both at more than 90m/hr and despite the heavy weight the X5M corners very close (with M mode on) to the M3. I use the X5M for daily driving and feel the ride is more comfortable than the M3 (with EDC off).

To me the X5M satisfies my needs for space (kid coming soon), winter driving vehicle, to be the pack leader on the road, canyon carving in the summer (it can do more than moderate if you have the right tires and turn M mode on), etc.

Picture this: you're driving in the right lane and it is coming to an end. You need to merge left but the vehicle on the left is not slowing down to let you in. No problem. Push the M button on the steering wheel and tap the gas pedal. You're now in the left lane. The X5M has never let me down no matter what the other vehicle is.
In general M vehicles are responsive and you can precisely predict the timing when you want them to do something. That is why I am not moving to a non-M car.
+1

The X5M is as comfortable as it gets in all conditions, yet it handles almost as well as my 08 M3. I have 24K miles in one year and the car has been flawless.......Steve
05 F430 F1 - Giallo
08 BMW M3 Interlagos Blue Metallic - DCT (Traded)
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 08:33 PM   #16
novablackm3
Captain
Rep
Drives: Performante, G05 M50i, RR SVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuschnell View Post
I have an m3 and an x5m. The x5m is as comfortable as a car should be. The only surprise in driving this car is how comfortable a sports car can be. Make no mistake that this is a sports car. The a8 has nothing on this car except possibly better gas mileage. I love my m3 and I use it as my daily driver, but it is no where as comfy as the x5m when crusing on crappy roads. I live in Chicago where the roads are total sh*t most of the year and I've never felt the x5m ride quality was a problem. Any long trips my wife and I go on are almost always in the x5m. We have a baby on the way in a few months and I have zero concerns about our little guy riding in the car. My wife and I were as little worried about that before we bought the car but after a test drive all concerns were eased.

Pull the trigger on the x5m! If you are a car enthusiast and can afford to pay the exorbitant price for something that quite possibly shouldn't exist, there may be no better way to spend your money than on this ultimate family mover.

hey i have the same car combo x5m and m3. the x5m handles suprisngly well for a truck and had no problem keeping up during a recent m3 drive. It's also has excellent ride quality compared.