BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-24-2011, 04:16 PM   #1
ScotchAndCigar
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i space gray vert

Has BMW had different TPM systems?

This is my 2nd BMW with RFTs and a tire pressure monitor system. However, it's the 1st time my non-TPM-sensor-equipped winter tires/wheels cause the TPM system to display "inactive" when I start the car.

I have the feeling that my last BMW ('06 Z4) had a TPM system which did not use sensors in the wheels, but rather it used the stability control system's wheel speed monitor to measure rotational diameter. Is this the case, or am I misinformed? One thing's for sure - I never got any warning lights or gongs from my Z4, and I used the same set of winter wheels.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2011, 04:39 PM   #2
Gary@TireRack
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly 1995 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotchAndCigar View Post

I have the feeling that my last BMW ('06 Z4) had a TPM system which did not use sensors in the wheels, but rather it used the stability control system's wheel speed monitor to measure rotational diameter. Is this the case, or am I misinformed?
Absolutely correct.

Please refer to 'Gary/E90 Post' as your previous contact when you order online to help support this forum.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2011, 07:44 PM   #3
ScotchAndCigar
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i space gray vert

So why would they abandon the old system, which worked with any wheels and didn't require expensive in-wheel sensors?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2011, 08:42 PM   #4
tritonx
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 128i, '92 325is

Garage List
2011 128i  [0.00]
1992 325is  [0.00]
1994 318is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotchAndCigar View Post
So why would they abandon the old system, which worked with any wheels and didn't require expensive in-wheel sensors?
Regulation, muhahahaha.
It's for your own safety..., as always.
      03-25-2011, 09:56 PM   #5
ZIPNBYE
Let's save military ranks for those who earn it!
Canada
Rep
Drives: ...on the Ragged Edge

Garage List
US-mandate. They still use the Traction Control / ABS system in other countries...such as up here.
2011 BMW 1-series M Coupe (#205/220) -- Valencia Orange (sold)
2009 BMW 135i M-Sport Coupe -- Space Grey (sold)
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 10:49 PM   #6
Walt White Coupe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 650ix Coupe, 23 C8 Vette

The TPM sensor also changed in 2009 or there abouts. So their is an early version and a later version and the two are incompatable with each other.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2011, 06:10 AM   #7
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe View Post
The TPM sensor also changed in 2009 or there abouts. So their is an early version and a later version and the two are incompatable with each other.

There are two TPMS that use TPMS sensors. Sept/2010 builds is when they changed.

As stated above... BMW HAD to use this TPMS bc of a mandate from Congress. You can thank Ford and their ExplodeR/Firestone tires for that. So we have a USA TPMS and a ROW one. Canada gets the ROW one.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2011, 09:37 AM   #8
jkp1187
Unindicted co-conspirator
United_States
Rep
Drives: to work, mostly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
As stated above... BMW HAD to use this TPMS bc of a mandate from Congress. You can thank Ford and their ExplodeR/Firestone tires for that....
As well as their idiot customers, who apparently don't know how to periodically use a $1.00 tire pressure gauge.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2011, 09:50 AM   #9
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe View Post
They aren't incompatible. When my wheels cracked I needed a temp solution inorder to keep my life going so I borrowed my friends stock wheels and factory tpms. I have an 08 and he has a 10 my car reads his sensors perfectly

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkp1187 View Post
As well as their idiot customers, who apparently don't know how to periodically use a $1.00 tire pressure gauge.
Hey I was one of the first people to be part of that debacle. I can tell you that it had nothing to do with tire pressure. I check mine every two weeks.

I was driving on the highway at ~60-65 in my 00 302 Merc Mountaineer and I had a blowout in the rear. The tire completely stripped itself from the wheel. I controlled the car and brought it to a stop. After I got towed I demanded that the shop examine the rest of my tires. So they pulled them of. All three had sidewall and interior cracks like no tomorrow.

They were just a poorly designed tire compound that failed catastrophically. I do think that the amount of rollovers caused by the tire where pure human stupidity and the fact that nobody ever trains the vast majority of people in blowout control, ie don't hit the gas or break just ride it out.

Appreciate 0
      03-26-2011, 02:28 PM   #10
Walt White Coupe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 650ix Coupe, 23 C8 Vette

They aren't incompatible. When my wheels cracked I needed a temp solution inorder to keep my life going so I borrowed my friends stock wheels and factory tpms. I have an 08 and he has a 10 my car reads his sensors perfectly

Like I said I'm not sure about the year of the change but there are two models of sensors and you have to have the right ones for the system to recognize them. I know because I bought a new set of wheels from tire rack with tires and sensors installed for my 2011 and they installed the "older" sensor and I had to replace them with the newer sensors for the system to work.

Maybe our Tire Rack guru can chime in here.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2011, 05:03 PM   #11
ZIPNBYE
Let's save military ranks for those who earn it!
Canada
Rep
Drives: ...on the Ragged Edge

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
They were just a poorly designed tire compound that failed catastrophically. I do think that the amount of rollovers caused by the tire where pure human stupidity and the fact that nobody ever trains the vast majority of people in blowout control, ie don't hit the gas or break just ride it out.
Actually, the tires were fine, it was Ford's insistance that the pressures be lower than designed to fix a handling deficiency of the Exploder / Mountaineer suspension that caused a tippy vehicle with the tires properly inflated, thus they affixed a door-jam sticker which listed a lower pressure. Driving on the tires with lower than optimum pressure is what caused all of the internal degredation and blow-outs. Ford blamed Firestone for a while, but in the end fessed up to the issue behind the issue.
2011 BMW 1-series M Coupe (#205/220) -- Valencia Orange (sold)
2009 BMW 135i M-Sport Coupe -- Space Grey (sold)
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2011, 05:07 PM   #12
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZIPNBYE View Post
Actually, the tires were fine, it was Ford's insistance that the pressures be lower than designed to fix a handling deficiency of the Exploder / Mountaineer suspension that caused a tippy vehicle with the tires properly inflated, thus they affixed a door-jam sticker which listed a lower pressure. Driving on the tires with lower than optimum pressure is what caused all of the internal degredation and blow-outs. Ford blamed Firestone for a while, but in the end fessed up to the issue behind the issue.
hmm didnt know that Ford artificially lowered the recommended tire pressure. I always ran them a few pounds high though, highway driving. So it wasnt a pressure issue for me.

Regardless I was fine and my dealer payed for the busted wheel and all new tires. I went with BFGs and I still run them on the car now. Never had another issue with blown tires.

Although I should say that my Merc has the SVT H/O package, so I never had suspension issues with it.

Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 06:56 AM   #13
jkp1187
Unindicted co-conspirator
United_States
Rep
Drives: to work, mostly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZIPNBYE View Post
This. Keith Bradsher covers the story quite well in his book, The High and the Mighty. Also, if the problems caused by the lowered recommended inflation pressure weren't enough, plenty of people (probably the sort who buy SUV's because they're 'safer',) were both overloading the vehicle AND not checking tire pressure.

Not saying Firestone is blameless, either - there may have been issues there as well.

Last edited by jkp1187; 03-28-2011 at 07:08 AM..
Appreciate 0