BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

01-27-2011, 07:37 AM   #1
BimmerM
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F95 X5 M C, '11.5 E92 M3 C

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 M  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Challenge and Vorsteiner Type II Rear Diffuser + paint question

I have a few questions on the Challenge and Vorsteiner Type II Rear Diffuser:

1) How close are the edges to the rear bumper. Is there any gap or seperation between the bumper and the two diffusers? (comments on both diffusers appreciated)

2) If the edge indeed touches the bumper, will the diffuser cause some paint issues on the bumper due to vibration and friction if I change my mind and want to remove the diffuser?

3) Both have clear coat that is UV protected correct?

That's it, three simple questions hopefully someone can answer. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 03:31 PM   #2
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW Duh

The Vorsteiner Type II Rear Diffuser is just the carbon section around the exhaust so it does not extend to the edges of the bumper. Most install it unpainted as the carbon exhaust surround is typically left exposed.

The Vorsteiner part does have a UV protected clear coat so there is no need to apply one before installing.

Here are some closeups of the part so you can better understand what I mean.

Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 03:46 PM   #3
BimmerM
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F95 X5 M C, '11.5 E92 M3 C

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 M  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick@Jlevi SW View Post
The Vorsteiner Type II Rear Diffuser is just the carbon section around the exhaust so it does not extend to the edges of the bumper. Most install it unpainted as the carbon exhaust surround is typically left exposed.

The Vorsteiner part does have a UV protected clear coat so there is no need to apply one before installing.
Thanks Nick, I am aware of the two styles. I think my question might have been misinterpreted and apologize if I was not clear. I am looking for feedback on whether the edge of the diffuser (the surrounding of the diffuser that comes closest to the bumper) will cause any paint to rub off on the bumper due to friction, vibration, etc. As stated on my first post, if I change my mind and want to remove the diffuser, I do not want to have paint issues under there.

When I had an E46 M3 I had the full carbon fiber Vorsteiner hood, double sided CF bootlid and full carbon fiber diffuser. Honestly, the fit and finish of all three were not perfect but better than most I have seen. However, Vorsteiner definitely had the best weave pattern compared to the competition. The weave was perfectly straight and even, not wavy like others.

On the E9x there's more quality CF products out there, different styles, etc. which makes my decision that much harder.

Thanks for the feedback.
Appreciate 0