BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-24-2011, 08:50 PM   #1
Séve
Private
Rep
Drives: 128i ZSP

128i Long-Term...

Hello all! I recently paid off my '09 128i ZSP 6MT, in a shade under 2 years. This is something of which I'm quite proud, given I'm still in college and my income level isn't much to speak of after taking care of my living expenses.

ANYWAY, I'll be done my undergrad in a year and a half, and then have law school/MBA for the next four years. I personally love the car, and I believe I can live with it for the next five to six years. Given I currently have 25k miles, 2 years left on my warranty, and brakes scheduled to be replaced in 11k miles, I don't see much point in the extended maintenance plan (not that there is much of one financially anyway). However, as for the extended warranty, what should I do with that?

I'm currently making hypothetical payments to myself and investing the proceeds. Regardless, when the day comes to make the decision of whether or not to purchase the extended warranty, what potential issues should I consider? What are the major items that could go wrong after the warranty ends? The electrical scares me personally, while the engine seems rock solid.

BTW, I change the oil every 7k miles and will attempt to maintain the old "maintenance" plan. Also, I'm not too receptive to the opinion of "all insurance is a ripoff." Yes, trading dollars with an insurance company is never good, but a loss that causes undue strain on one financially while the premium isn't too restrictive, to me, has a value, especially if I can do the "Rizzo Method" for the extended maintenance plan (i.e. pitting all BMW warranty sellers against one another).

Thank you for any input; I greatly appreciate it!

Last edited by Séve; 01-25-2011 at 01:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2011, 12:39 PM   #2
m_thompson
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M-Sport 128i, 328xi, 3.0CS

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
1972 3.0CS  [10.00]
Sounds like my philosophy. I won a '93 325iS in a raffle, drove it for 16 years and put the equavalent monthly payment in an MMA/CD, and paid cash for a 128i last year.

Maintenance wasn't bad until the 325iS approached 100,000 miles. Then it was time for the third set of tires, brakes, shocks/struts, lower control arms, etc. Since i do my own repairs it was just parts cost.

I have the same concerns about the electronics in the 128i and my ability to diagnose problems when the warranty runs out. I plan to buy a Bavarian Technic Cable so I can read and clear all of the fault codes. With a purchase price of $287 a single battery registration will almost pay for the cable.

Going by the old school maintenance plan is a great idea. I don't believe in lifetime fluid.
      01-26-2011, 05:56 PM   #3
Séve
Private
Rep
Drives: 128i ZSP

What do you think of the extended warranty? Are you going to do it if you keep your car for that long?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 12:20 PM   #4
m_thompson
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M-Sport 128i, 328xi, 3.0CS

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
1972 3.0CS  [10.00]
I don't buy appliance or car warranties. I am gambling that there will be no catastrophic failure that will cost thousands to repair. That has been the case so far.

I do a lot of preventative repairs, like the water pump and radiator on the last car. These were known failures usually at 65,000 and 100,000 miles so I just replaced them. If I waited until the broke it might have cooked the engine.

By doing my own repairs I have saved thousands on labor costs, some of which I spent on tools. I am sure that besides the Bavarian Technic Cable I will need to buy some other special tools for the 128i. Still cheaper than paying the dealer.
      01-27-2011, 01:37 PM   #5
jkp1187
Unindicted co-conspirator
United_States
Rep
Drives: to work, mostly.

I'd say: save the money you'd have spent on the extended warranty and put it in a separate savings account. Dip into that savings account to pay for repairs as needed.

The big issue that faces the 1ers -- the HPFP -- doesn't affect you with your 128i. (And the warranty has been extended to 10 years on that anyway.) You don't have worries about the automatic transmission failing because you have a manual.

Personally, I have a 2009 135i and am planning on keeping it for at least 6-7 years. I'm planning on paying out of pocket when the warranty expires.

You should also consider following Mike Miller's old-school maintenance schedule, which goes above and beyond the current OEM maintenance recommendations.
Appreciate 0