01-23-2011, 08:46 PM   #1
Mthusiast
///MTHUSIAST
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1 Series M Coupe

Garage List
1M vs. M3

I have a deposit on the 1M but still somewhat undecided if a gently used M3 is a better driving experience. A new 1M is about the same amount as a used M3... I have an x5 and an x3 so I do not necessarily need 4 doors however I would buy the sedan M3... I am looking for the absolute driving experience. Can you guys help me sleep at night?

See also: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=479979
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2011, 08:55 PM   #2
rapter
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1(M)other f*^#er of a car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mthusiast View Post
I have a deposit on the 1M but still somewhat undecided if a gently used M3 is a better driving experience. A new 1M is about the same amount as a used M3... I have an x5 and an x3 so I do not necessarily need 4 doors however I would buy the sedan M3... I am looking for the absolute driving experience. Can you guys help me sleep at night?

Haha i share your pain as I am in the sane boat. The only difference is I don't know how much my 1m will cost.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2011, 07:24 AM   #3
hwelvaar
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i MT

Oh no, here we go... 1M vs M3...

Look, nobody has driven a production 1M car yet, so noone can give real-life experienced info on this.

But as per BMW's opinion: the current 1M is for the real enthousiast, who want a 'focused and pure' car, as was the orginal M3. The current M3 has evolved more into a GT car.

I had the same decision to make, but it was in fact a no-brainer for me.
M3 slurps more gas, and costs a lot more in terms of yearly road tax, here in Europe.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2011, 06:18 PM   #4
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mthusiast View Post

What does that mean? Absolute driving experience? you are going to have to define what that means to you... Will you be taking your car to Putnam Park or IRP.... or perhaps Mid Ohio? Is this a car you will only drive on weekend drives to Brown County, or will you be driving it daily, with the occasional interstate trip to Chicago. Will you be taking passengers often? One passenger? three?

I personally prefer the sedan M3 over the coupe, so I copy you there...

An E9x M3 is certainly the better ALL AROUND car, for doing say.. ALL of the above... Put simply.. it's a much better GT (grand tourer)... but... if you plan to take the car to say.. Putnam Park.. A LOT... then a 1M is CERTAINLY going to be more fun to toss around the track there than an E9X M3. Since you have two vehicles that can carry 4 plus people... why buy a third?
Appreciate 0