ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-08-2011, 01:37 PM   #1
santov
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si White over Beige

Fixed: Manual mode ignores me.

Fixed: Read below for details.

I searched around the forum and found a few threads on the SMG, but I have the ZF auto.

When I'm in D I can use the paddles/gear to downshift from 6 to 5, pass, and then upshift to 6. After a few seconds of the car returns to D on it's own.

When I'm in DS mode it and leave it there it shifts more aggressively, like it should, holding gears and more willing to downshifting (the speedof the gear changes aren't faster, but it seems more willing to downshift).

My complaint about M mode:
When I'm in DS working the gear shift or paddles shifts me to M mode. I'm positive I'm in M mode since I see the M and the gear number I'm in (M6, M5, etc), but for the most part my upshifts and downshifts "requests" are ignored. Unless I'm driving with a heavy foot the gears will stick to redline, but then my upshift commands are ignored until I let off the throttle and the brain upshifts for me.

Is the BMW transmission brain just stubborn and M mode sucks or do I have something wrong? When in M mode I want complete and utter control.

The paddle switch and gear shift switches work (I guess some people had a bad gear lever switch that didn't register "DS").

In my old Jeep SRT8 the transmission would NEVER upshift for you, no matter how hard you were accelerating. If you let off the gas you'd continue to rev high RPMs as the engine winds down (no nanny to upshift for you). The transmission WOULD downshift as you came to a stop, but that's to keep you from stalling. Full auto worked like full auto.

I wish my Z4 behaved the same way in M mode so I could downshift to say 4th, and hold that gear. I just did the 15sec reset on throttle calibration but it didn't help the function of M mode.

Please help!

Last edited by santov; 01-18-2011 at 09:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2011, 09:24 PM   #2
bdejong11129
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 87 E30

I have a 2003 with sport and automatic trans and when I am in steptronic mode it will only upshift once I get into the redline(6500K+). As long as I stay out of that it will hold the gear until I change it.

Not sure what you are refering to with DS mode. For me it is either D, which is normal economy early shift daily driving mode. Or pull the shifter left and it is in SD mode which is just like when you push the sport button. The shifts will come later than in regular D mode. Then if I bump it wither up or down it moves to Manual mode M1,M2,etc.

In M mode it will not shift up as long as I am not redlining it. It will only shift down as I slow to a stop but then it will only go down to M2. If I want first gear I have to do theat on my own.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 01:07 PM   #3
Nhopkins1394
Accountant, 1st Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si Roadster, Black

Yeah, if you pull your shifter left, towards your thigh, it should stay in manual mode and not shift for you.
Not sure what it does over the redline. It may protect itself, but not sure.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 06:31 AM   #4
SteveInfante
NewFinishColumbia/detailer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 xDrive

Another thing too is that the steering wheel paddles seem to shift faster than using the gear level. There's a little delay.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 02:26 PM   #5
santov
Lieutenant
Rep

I'm going to take my car in for service and see if this is a ECU thing. I don't want to rev to redline, but I would like to hold a gear with out the brain upshifting for me.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2011, 02:44 AM   #6
santov
Lieutenant
Rep

Well I took it in for service and after having the car for the day they determined the electric fan was NOT working. According to the dealer when the fan isn't responding the "limp" mode prevents manual control of the tranny.

Smart they build that limp mode in, stupid they don't have warning lights or log it in the diagnostic computer. Supposedly the service tech had to send diag info to BMW who deduced it was the fan. No thanks to any error codes.

That's scary that my fan wasn't working. Luckily the temp has been just fine and the weather has been cold.

Supposedly I'll get the car back tomorrow and get to check it out.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2011, 01:59 PM   #7
SteveInfante
United_States
Rep

Glad you got it figured out for the most part anyway. Waiting to see what the outcome is.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2011, 04:50 PM   #8
santov
Lieutenant
Rep

Just got an interesting call fom my service advisor- Replacing the main electric fan didn't help at all. The only thng they could tell me was the tech is sending "program data" to BMW tech support. Then he told me they needed to order a "special" 60A fuse that won't be here until Tuesday. If I really did have a 60A fuse out I think more than Manual mode on the transmission would be malfunctioning.

I'm afraid they're grasping at straws now and randomly throw parts at the car until something works. I'm okay with it since it's under warranty. Honestly if it was me I'd be replacing the main ECU or transmission controller instead of messing with fuses and fans. Now that I think about it I wonder if it's a bad body ground somewhere. I read another thread that a constant airbag light was really a bad connection on the negative battery terminal.

I'll keep you guys posted.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2011, 01:04 AM   #9
SteveInfante
United_States
Rep

Please do so if I should have these problems that you are having then I know where to start talking with the Service Advisor. I should be taking mine in to get the oil changed here in a couple of months and I'm going to see if they can get me the new software because the lag in D from a start is annoying at best.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 10:51 PM   #10
santov
Lieutenant
Rep

Fixed!

Well after having my car for 5 days (partially because of Sunday plus a holiday) I got my car back today.

The service advisor was out to lunch, but luckily the tech made good notes:

Quote:
Customer states when using steptronic trans- using gear shift and steering paddles will not switch gears.

Performed short test and found fault no coding in the EGS. Coded complete vehicle using latest ISTA. Test drove and still not working. Created TC case, per case there is a ghost fault for the engine fan causing the trans to not upshift. Performed test plan and found that the fan is not turning on. Found no power at the fan. Per test plan removed glove box and fuse carrier. Found 60amp fuse for the electric fan blown. Replaced fuse and tested fan. Power at fan but still not working. Reran test plan and found fan getting signal but not turning on. Replaced fan per test plan. Cleared faults and test drove. Trans now shifting.
So I got a new fan and fuse, plus the diag labor and fix labor. Out of curiosity I checked the part numbers at Tisher and the fan is $450 and the fuse is $2. Thank goodness my used roadster was still under warranty.

Now sport mode feels awesome and if I flick to SD then work the paddles the tranny shifts pretty quick and holds the gears. I don't rev to redline, but I do like to hold 4th gear when I'm merging, or hold 6th gear for a swift freeway pass.

They also replaced my wiper blades for me. I'm happy!!

The inside of the car was a mess with dirt and dust everywhere, even black fingerprints on the lower dash. I don't mind cleaning, but I'm a little disappointed they weren't more careful. That's dealerships for you.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2011, 03:21 PM   #11
imz4n
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 3,0 si TITANIUM SIlVER

Kudo's, thank you for posting the cure for your issue. It helps all of us to save time,