ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-24-2010, 01:17 PM   #1
Foxland
Private
Rep
Drives: Merlot Red Z4 3.0 Roadster

New to forum and Z4

I have a deposit on a 04 Merlot red (least favorite color)3.0i roadster 40k one owner miles but spotty service history. It has been to the original dealer since new but shows only one oil change at 14000 although it has been in for other things, the last one being a computer module(?) in 11/10. I guess its possible that oil changes were done elsewhere. I know Porsche Cayman goes 20 or 25K before factory recomended oil change. I am buying it sight unseen and shipping to Florida. The car looks almost new inside and out and hoping that oil was done too. The dealer that sold it to me says that it has been checked and is fine. Thoughts?
Mo
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2010, 01:25 PM   #2
CJW2OO4
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86M,M2,F13 E86&E85M,E86,2E46

I would recommend that you have a pre purchase inspection done by an independent shop. It is risky business buying a car without it. Also did you run the vin through carfax?
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2010, 01:48 PM   #3
MZHammer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E85 Z4M, F82 M4

Garage List
2016 M4  [0.00]
2006 BMW Z4M Roadster  [0.00]
Do the carfax.....last thing you need is a Katrina car....
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2010, 05:28 PM   #4
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxland View Post
I have a deposit on a 04 Merlot red (least favorite color)3.0i roadster 40k one owner miles but spotty service history. It has been to the original dealer since new but shows only one oil change at 14000 although it has been in for other things, the last one being a computer module(?) in 11/10. I guess its possible that oil changes were done elsewhere. I know Porsche Cayman goes 20 or 25K before factory recomended oil change. I am buying it sight unseen and shipping to Florida. The car looks almost new inside and out and hoping that oil was done too. The dealer that sold it to me says that it has been checked and is fine. Thoughts?
Mo
Man, I would not buy a car sight unseen without a PPI and some solid evidence of the car's service history, not to mention the other issues folks have already cited. The dealer says it's all fine? Yeah, right. I wouldn't believe that for one moment without independent verification.

No one who actually wants to keep a car running long-term sticks with the Porsche factory recommended oil changes (I have one), so I wouldn't look at that as a indication that all is well. The recommended change interval from the enthusiast crowd is 5K-7K miles. Several years w/o oil changes (which means lots of short trips or infrequent driving) means the oil is a real mess. That kind of driving takes a toll on oil....

BTW, what shows only one oil change? Carfax? They're not trustworthy when it comes to service (or other things IMO). Several of my cars showed no service when in fact the break-in and all subsequent service was done at the dealer. Carfax didn't show an accident (repaired) that I had either. IMO they're great at marketing to the masses but they are not a foolproof tool. They are "a" tool but not "the" tool. One tool among many that should be used in making a used car purchase.

Say, can't the dealer supply the maintenance records?

It always pays to do your homework. Get a PPI done, and find someone you can trust to look at the car. It's not worth the great "deal" you may find if you get the car and end up with flood damage, salvage/accidents, poor maintenance, and a load of repair bills down the road. I'm sorry if this post sound harsh but I see a lot of issues here. I would be very wary about buying a car in this manor. Caveat emptor!
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2010, 05:58 PM   #5
ANUSTART
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4

+1 to what Finnegan said.

I'd hold out for a local car. I don't blame you for being eager, the car is fantastic, but be patient and get one you can feel comfortable with. I waited months before getting mine and but wanted to make sure it was one I could feel god about. I passed up one that sounds exactly like what your describing because I had too many reservations.

Good luck! It's worth the wait.

Last edited by ANUSTART; 12-24-2010 at 06:03 PM.. Reason: Forgot something.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2010, 06:47 PM   #6
ChicagoHokie
Rep
Drives: every day ;-)

I thought I had the car of my dreams... Until the inspection. That ~$130 saved from having to spend some real money later. I am still looking. Good luck!
2005 Mazda 3 Hatch (wife's car)
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2010, 10:08 PM   #7
Foxland
Private
Rep

Thanks for all the advice and recommendations, I appreciate them and I think it's good advice. The car has a car fax but like you said, you can't rely on it, my partner sold his s4 afTer an accident, car fax said it was OK. I checked the car with my BMW dealer, gave him the vin and he checked it out. The dealer I'm buying it from took it in on a trade on a $90 thou car, it's a one owner and he said it's immaculate, they sell high line cars and have been in business a good many years. I either wait or have to fly out to see it, the sales guy said that they did a presale check and the car was perfect. I'm not sure what to do now. It has been at the dealer for service all the years it was owned by the current owner, like I said last time it was in was 11/10. I will have to think long and hard about it.
Mo

Last edited by Foxland; 12-24-2010 at 10:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2010, 02:49 PM   #8
bdejong11129
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 87 E30

Carfax is absolute BS. The carfax on mine showed it as a one owner car. The reality it that it was traded in, then sold to the second owner in early 2010 then repossessed from him in July. I know this becuase when I got the title it had a letter of re-possesion and the title was issued in march of 2010 to the owner.

Carfax is a scam and a complete joke. I had the car taken in and inspected, all turned out to be just fine. Only a few wear items(brakes) were showing that they would need replacement soon. Nothing that would stop me from purchasing the car. The repo may have made me either not buy it or offer up less that I did, but I didnt know about that until 6 weeks later when I got the title in the mail.

So, have it inspected, and throw the POS carfax in the trash can. I wish someone would sue the carfax people into oblivion. All they do is add cost to every car being sold since someone(the buyer) is ending up paying for it anyways.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2010, 03:08 PM   #9
Foxland
Private
Rep

Firstly, Merry Chrismas to one and all!
The inspections are bullshit too, I was ready to order one when I read this "Moreover, you should understand that CARCHEX does not perform the same services that would be performed by a mechanic or professional photographer. Rather, CARCHEX's services are similar to what you would see and hear if you were to inspect the car yourself and you had the same level of experience as our inspectors. However, many aspects of the inspection are subjective. In other words, the inspector is providing you with his or her opinion. If you were to perform the inspection yourself, you might come to a different conclusion than the inspector."
So what's the point. The dealer selling it is a repectable big name dealership and had it on his lot for sale, if it was a lemon I think he would have wholesaled it right away.
It would be nice if there was a service someone on the forum had used and was satisfied with.
Mo
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 06:15 PM   #10
bdejong11129
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 87 E30

Yes, the inspection I had was at the local BMW dealership NOT the carfaux inspection.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2010, 07:02 AM   #11
dekaliber
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC, '11 JCW, '18 Z06

3.0i Z4's are common enough (I would think, especially in Florida) that I would definitely stick with a local sale. Especially if this is your least favorite color. You do have to look at the car every day!
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2010, 11:59 AM   #12
jra
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2005 z4

strange that there was no oil change at 30,000 with warranty. can you get more info on the module? that doesnt sound right. merlot roadsters look good when modded though
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-28-2010, 12:32 PM   #13
esqu1re
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

^ Usually not a fan of red cars, but that car looks pretty.

///M Coupe: RPI Scoop, OE Strut, CDV, Volk RE30, SS Brake Lines, Stromung Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 10:05 AM   #14
imz4n
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 3,0 si TITANIUM SIlVER

2005 with the yellow plastic turn indicators and no reflector on the front bumper? Not normal. Clear headlights are normal ( no yellow plastic under the headlights ). Do you have pics of the rear of the car? I like the Merlot.
      12-29-2010, 12:02 PM   #15
Foxland
Private
Rep

Merlot is

really growing on me, JRA your car looks awesome! The fact that you don't see too many Merlots is also a good thing. I am going thru with the deal, the selling dealer is guaranteeing that the car is as descibed, he has gone thru the car mechanically and cosmetically. Should have it by early next week.
Mo
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 12:56 PM   #16
ANUSTART
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4

Good luck! Post pics when you get it.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 01:11 PM   #17
jra
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2005 z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by imz4n View Post
2005 with the yellow plastic turn indicators and no reflector on the front bumper? Not normal. Clear headlights are normal ( no yellow plastic under the headlights ). Do you have pics of the rear of the car? I like the Merlot.
its an 03 or 04 with 05 headlights

Foxland the car is not mine. the mods are 18x8 csl reps and h&r springs/koni shocks
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 02:53 PM   #18
imz4n
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 3,0 si TITANIUM SIlVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jra View Post
its an 03 or 04 with 05 headlights

Foxland the car is not mine. the mods are 18x8 csl reps and h&r springs/koni shocks
OP stated it was an 04 in post one, I don't know where I got the 05 from. I knew something was not matching up.
      12-29-2010, 03:49 PM   #19
Foxland
Private
Rep

Merlot

Always thought of dark colors as a northern car color, except for black, which looks good everywhere but hard to keep looking good. In Florida any dark color is blazing in the summer, my last color car was black on black, could barely get in it on a summer day. I have a black 328 but with a sand interior, not as bad. Can't wait to get the roadster, my first convertible since my 67 442. This is my third Beemer, I had a 2002 (not the year), hope that this one is as good as the others.
Mo
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 03:59 PM   #20
Foxland
Private
Rep

I also have a question,

The car I am getting is an 04 with sport-package, premium package, doesn't that come with 18" wheels or was that another option?
Mo
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 04:11 PM   #21
MetMan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 3.0i, 2033 X5

Garage List
Yes, The 3.0i with sport package comes with the style 107 wheels (often referred to as clown shoes).
      12-29-2010, 07:35 PM   #22
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Personally, I think that the Z4 looks amazingly classy in Merlot Red. In my photo album here, there is a picture of one parked next to a silver Z3M and my car at a local club meet.

As for the style 107 wheel, if that is the one folks call the ellipsoid rim, I love that too. My car has the style 108 rim which is very aggressive looking. The ellipsoids are very classic IMHO and well matched to any Z4.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0