ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-11-2010, 10:01 PM   #1
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Anyone with clear bra experience

I will be getting my front bumper resprayed shortly (due to a little fender bender) and was considering getting a clear bra installed to preserve the perfect paint. What is everyones feelings on these things? My car is white...is there a risk of yellowing? Also, would you be able to visibly see that I have this installed? I would get it for the front bumper only. Thanks for any input.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 10:29 PM   #2
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

You've got to wait a couple of months after re-spraying before having the clear-bra installed. Otherwise if/when you take it off your paint will go with it.

Ventureshield has a good rep for not yellowing. Had it on one of my cars--nice stuff.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2010, 01:49 AM   #3
03BeastCharmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '13 M3

Installed venture shield on front of cat in 07 (blue coupe) and no yellowing. You can only see the edge when the car is dirty. Will install on next car also.

Current: '13 E92 M3 Euro Delivery
Gone: E86 M Coupe; E30 M3, E39 M5, E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2010, 02:49 AM   #4
fatmatt0116
Hooligan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S

I heard you can take it off and put it back on....is this true? Does it still look ok?

2014 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S
2011 X5 5.0 Dinan - SOLD
2007 Imola Red Z4 M Coupe -SOLD
2004 Navy Blue BMW 325Ci
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2010, 03:24 AM   #5
vasaline
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 06 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmatt0116 View Post
I heard you can take it off and put it back on....is this true? Does it still look ok?
Once you take it off, you can't put it back on.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2010, 07:28 AM   #6
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
You've got to wait a couple of months after re-spraying before having the clear-bra installed. Otherwise if/when you take it off your paint will go with it.

Ventureshield has a good rep for not yellowing. Had it on one of my cars--nice stuff.
Interesting, I didnt know that. If thats true hopefully I can keep it clean for a few months. I do A LOT of highway driving and Im always getting small rock chips so I was thinking the clear bra would offer some protection over that. Thanks for the info.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2010, 07:43 AM   #7
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
I have the 3M brand front clear bra on my M. This is the best $600.00 I have spent on the car. I also had the side rocker panels covered from wheel to wheel in one continuous sheet.

Being a daily driver and with 10 track days, not one mark anywhere on the car where the clear bra is applied.

On the wait time on the paint, you have to check with the painter. Some newer paints do not require 60-90 day cure times.

When I had the bumper cover on my Roadster repainted, the cure time was five days.

I know the lighting is not good or the camera sucks, but here are two pictures taken last night as I am currently winterizing the car. After a clay and a coat of Wolfgang DGPS sealer, you have a very hard time seeing the clear bra outlines.

The sealer had to set for 12 hours. Today is wax day.....
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-12-2010, 01:18 PM   #8
nlink720
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW Z4 Roadster

Get the clearbra. It is worth it. (wait the 45-60 days after repaint though)

I had a big rock hit (like 2" diameter) and it took out some of the clear bra, but the paint underneath is perfect. I just used some touchup paint to cover the open spot on the clearbra, and it looks fine. It really helps with "road rash" and with bug removal during those summer evenings.

It looks good, too -- like a car that is cared for.

FS: Leather Recaro Pole Position Seats & Hardware
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2010, 01:30 PM   #9
acvr4
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 3.0Z4,VR4,Vehicross.Touareg

I have it on my 03 and the front end is clip less. It's worth it
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2010, 01:44 PM   #10
G80indy
Save the Manuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z3, E46, G80

have it on all vehicles. '02 330i, '06 z4M, '11 Pilot. not to mention three prior owned vehicles. Find an expert to do it--- worth it to have perfect alignment. When a truck cuts in front of you and sends a bunch of crap into the air to be met by your ride , it helps ( a little anyways ). I have little ones, so I promised to cuss less, and this helps, because you know you're as protected as you can be...
Have them do the lights if they're clean enough. same benefits.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2010, 01:51 PM   #11
jmillet
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 Hyundai IONIQ 6 SEL AWD

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
I will be getting my front bumper resprayed shortly (due to a little fender bender) and was considering getting a clear bra installed to preserve the perfect paint. What is everyones feelings on these things? My car is white...is there a risk of yellowing? Also, would you be able to visibly see that I have this installed? I would get it for the front bumper only. Thanks for any input.
Why just the front bumper cover? That leaves the hood, front fenders, headlights, and outside mirror covers exposed to road hazard damage.
My first stop after taking delivery of my Bimmer was a clear mask installer; Accutint in Bellevue. I went with the 3M Scotchgard material rather than the 3M VentureShield because the Scotchgard matches the orange peel BMW paint better. I also deleted the door edge and handle cup protection and had them apply film to the rocker panel in front of the rear wheel opening.
My car has over 30,000 miles on the odo many of which are track miles. The clear film has more than a few nicks in it but no paint damage. Well worth the $650 spent

Appreciate 0
      12-12-2010, 02:15 PM   #12
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
Definitely worth it. A small seam not really visible unless you're up close is the only drawback; if u can call it that. The benefits well out way everything. Got mine covering everything on the front end, headlights incl
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2010, 03:26 PM   #13
FerRrari
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Catrinel Menghia

My previous Z4 had a clear bra when I bought it, when I got my M3 I decided not to get it... Bad decision, needless to say I got one for the M roadster. Make sure to go to a reputable installer, you definitely pay for what you get. Ventureshield won't yellow, I had the whole hood covered so there are no lines on mine, my installer (Metropolitan Detail) removes badges, headlights, etc to make sure everything is perfect when installing the clear bra.
'07 IR/SBL ///M Roadster (GONE), '08 Tornado Red Triumph Daytona (GONE), '09 BRG/Cloth 6MT MINI Cooper S (Spontaneously Combusted), '06 IR/IR ///M3 Convertible 6MT (GONE), '04 JB/CR Z4 2.5i SMG (GONE)
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2010, 08:29 PM   #14
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the help everyone! Im definitely going to be doing this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmillet View Post
Why just the front bumper cover? That leaves the hood, front fenders, headlights, and outside mirror covers exposed to road hazard damage.
Thats the only thing I am having sprayed so it will be in perfect shape. I already have a few small chips in the front hood area, nothing too bad though. Would it make sense to put the bra over chipped paint? As for fenders, headlights etc. I guess Ill see what the cost is on that to see if its if its worth it.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2010, 08:42 PM   #15
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmillet View Post
My first stop after taking delivery of my Bimmer was a clear mask installer; Accutint in Bellevue. I went with the 3M Scotchgard material rather than the 3M VentureShield because the Scotchgard matches the orange peel BMW paint better. I also deleted the door edge and handle cup protection and had them apply film to the rocker panel in front of the rear wheel opening.
My car has over 30,000 miles on the odo many of which are track miles. The clear film has more than a few nicks in it but no paint damage. Well worth the $650 spent
Yea, I had all the others covered too. Just did not want to clutter up the topic, though I did not have the complete hood covered. Wish I would have done that now, since I have see a few cars with the hood covered.

I did not go with the Ventureshield. I went with the Scotchguard.

Still one of the best values compared to having the front refinished.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 09:47 AM   #16
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sepang Z4MC

I had one on my BSM coupe and it was pretty noticeable. I'd think on white though that it wouldn't be as bad. I probably wouldn't get one again just because it nearly costs as much to install as it does just to have the bumper repainted and you have to replace it anyway every few years.

Appreciate 0