ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-09-2010, 12:31 PM   #1
ryanchua
Z4MC Sapphire Black
Singapore
Rep
Drives: 570-4SL

Opinions...

Hi all,

I had a great offer at the dealership for a new e92 m3 mdct competition spec and while I like it a fair bit, it lacks that edginess the z4m has, including the steering feel.

Met another m3 owner that drove my car today and he said that the S54 sings so much more,and is so much more driver involving compared to his m3 with full akrapovic titanium systems. I could see his face change just from driving my car.

I find there's some magic missing in the M3 though after 2.5 years and over 60,000 miles in the Z4 I am feeling a tad worn out from the M coupe. I love the Z4MC yet I'd like more space and comfort for myself and my girl.

Has anyone been in this situation? I already put a cash deposit down but I just feel like I'm giving my first born up.

BMW.SG - Singapore's Ultimate BMW Enthusiast Community
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2010, 12:59 PM   #2
BlackMoupe
Mouper
United_States
Rep
Drives: _____

Don't do it.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2010, 01:00 PM   #3
r4gs
Viper Driver
Singapore
Rep
Drives: F-16

ryan, don't do it! though seriously, u've already thought through the considerations and i'm sure u'll enjoy the m3 with dct and zcp package. signing for a deposit is already fair indication of an intent to move forward.

i know there are only 5 m coupes in singapore (the interlagos one is still for sale at the bukit timah turf club used car place) and there's definitely some magic to be had when owning and driving one. i've not driven nor owned an e92 m3, but if my experience with the e92 335i is anything to go by, u'll be missing the m coupe! it's purely about the driver, and i'm guessing u'll lose some of that with the m3. although if 4's a party and u enjoy having other people ride along, then the m3 would definitely change things up a bit after some crazy amount of miles in ur m coupe. also, it's a little frightening to be thinking about new car coe at s$62k right now....

besides, i'd like to hear the kks in person! i'll be home in about two weeks.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2010, 03:14 PM   #4
crfine88
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E86M

I think you will really enjoy the added space on comfort. The M3 is still a performance car with great power and handling characteristics right out of the box. I really love that high rev V8.

I also think you will miss the raw feel of the M coupe. I had been toying with the same idea a few months ago and decided I would wait on the M3 until I could have both. I hope to keep the M coupe as a track dedicated monster in the future and run a M3 as a bad ass street machine.

Just curious, what color ext/int are you looking at?
      12-09-2010, 03:41 PM   #5
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Before purchasing my Z4M I test drove an E90 M3 and I loved it. The V8 sounds amazing and the ride was surprisingly comfortable. Plus all the tech (EDC, servotronic, m button, etc.) is really neat. My wallet however insisted I look elsewhere.

The Z4M definitely has more of a raw "drivers" feel to it which is something the M3 lacks. Also, the uniqueness of the Z4M coupe is unmatched when compared to the M3. I have only had my m coupe since August and have probably had a dozen people give me complements at gas stations, stop lights, parking lots. They all want to know what model it is, if its something new. The M3 sort of blends in with the crowd.

I say keep what you have until you find something else that steals your heart. Not point in buying a $60K car if your arent absolutely in love with it.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2010, 04:15 PM   #6
esqu1re
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
Not point in buying a $60K car if your arent absolutely in love with it.
+1. The M3 is a faster car, but at the end of the day, is a 3 series on the outside. It's a great car, but will be just another 3 series when the next one comes out. The M coupe is slower, but much more visceral and is such an attention getter, sometimes I feel like I'm in a supercar. I remember the day I got the M Coupe---absolutely no regrets, wouldn't even trade it for a m3 or m5 if given the chance.

I think not every car purchase can be like that, but for $60,000, gatorfast is right---be in love with it!

///M Coupe: RPI Scoop, OE Strut, CDV, Volk RE30, SS Brake Lines, Stromung Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2010, 05:18 PM   #7
wrh3
Car Guy
Rep
Drives: 2005 MCS, 2013 Corvette 427

The M3 is fast and defies the laws of physics based on how much it weighs- it feels like a much lighter car until you push harder and in tight corners.

That said, I am glad the M3 is the family car so I can drive it on weekends but still have my Z4M to drive when I want. If I had to choose one, the Z4M would be it and if I needed 4 seats in my car might even pick an E46 M3 over the current M3 based on feel and driver involvement.

But, I have to say even with factory exhaust, the M3 V8 sounds GREAT......just this side of a Ferrari. Sad to say this is probably the last NA M motor we will see too.

Bill- 2005 Mini Cooper S, 2013 Corvette 427
www.billswebspace.com/bmwindex BMW CCA Member # 389948
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2010, 05:42 PM   #8
rich337
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Went from a Z4MC to an E90 M3, and haven't really looked back. I miss the styling and edginess of the Z4M, but the M3 just does everything better IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2010, 07:38 PM   #9
johanness
Banned
Rep

Garage List
You want more comfort? Go for it then. It'll be like driving your love-seat around. If that's ur thing.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 12:26 AM   #10
rich337
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johanness View Post
You want more comfort? Go for it then. It'll be like driving your love-seat around. If that's ur thing.
I've heard M3s called a lot of things, but never a loveseat. To each his own
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 12:33 AM   #11
BlackMoupe
Mouper
United_States
Rep
Drives: _____

Get a 1M.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 01:11 AM   #12
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanchua View Post
Has anyone been in this situation? I already put a cash deposit down but I just feel like I'm giving my first born up.
If it's your only car, I'd say go for it. I love my Z4MC, but if I were going down to just one car, I'd get an E90 M3 with 6-spd over anything else. Bu I suspect I'd get another Z4M down the line.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 02:25 AM   #13
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

I had an E92 M3, DCT, the works. I went the other direction. After driving the Z4M I got rid of my M3. It just didn't thrill me like the Z4M. The M3 is a great GT, but it's not a hardcore sports car and it just felt too big for me. I wanted something more focused, more sports car oriented. The M3 just doesn't thrill unless you're going very very fast. The Z4M is one of those rare cars that's fun to drive at 25 or 100 MPH. Then again, you can't fit all the much in the Z4M and the ride is uncompromising.

But your needs sound much more suited to the M3 at this point. It sounds like the hardcore nature of the Z4M has worn on you a bit, and lets face it, the car does not have much space nor is it comfort oriented.The M3 is a jack of all trades--comfortable when you want it to be and a beast when you want to flog it. The S65 is like nothing else.

It's a really tough choice. But if you want some more space, some modicum of comfort, and one of the best engines ever, you'd be hard pressed to find anything better. There's no better car I can think of that offers room for 4, a high-revving V8, and a considerable amount of comfort (especially with EDC and DCT). You can drive the M3 for hours and hours and never be fatigued--that's not really the case with a lot of other cars. Especially those that handle as well as the M3 or offer an engine of it's type/class.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 08:23 AM   #14
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
If you want more room, lease a Mini ... keep the M coupe.