BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-29-2010, 06:02 AM   #1
ehssan_alkhiyami
I don't drive fast , i fly very low
Germany
Rep
Drives: E60 M5 , F31 320D Xdrive

Cool RDL angel eyes in US version 1 series , how does it work ?

Hi guys ,, well I'm in process of getting 135I from US and have it shipped to Dubai ( almost impossible to get 6speed manual here in Dubai ) ,,

I'm sorry for the little stupid question or if I post in the wrong place ,, this is my first post here in the 1 series forum ..

I'm looking at other threads and I was wondering how the running daylight works in the US version BMW's , in the I-Drive menu , do you guys get the RDL option so that you can have the angel eyes on during the day , and if yes : does the front signal lights comes on too as I've seen in many different pictures that the angel eyes are way too dim and the signal lights are on too but dim as well ..

the euro version can have the angel eyes running as RDL during the day and it's very very bight and at night with the low beam is on , they go dimmer , below is my previous 335I with RDL on

thanks for your sharing .
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2010, 11:24 AM   #2
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

In the US the angel eyes act as DRLs standard. They're always on, even if you set the headlight switch to "0" or the off setting. If you turn it clockwise once from the "0" setting to the parking lights setting, the amber directional signals also come on and stay on, the angel eyes stay on too, but the low beams are off. Finally if you turn it all the way clockwise the regular headlights on, and only then do the angel eyes get dimmer. In the first two settings, or on the "automatic" setting when the car detects that there is enough light outside to not warrant turning on the low beams, the angels are at full brightness.

Also when you unlock the car and have the switch set to automatic mode, or headlights-on mode, the angel eyes,the ambers, and the ambient lighting will come on when you unlock it and stay on for a little while. Since the car is not on, the angels are slightly dimmer when you do it this way, which is what you may have been seeing.

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived... Mmhm.

Last edited by 1speedbike; 11-29-2010 at 06:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2010, 11:35 AM   #3
ehssan_alkhiyami
Germany
Rep

that's nice ,,, thanks for your confirmation ..

i will have to find a solution now to switch off the ambers
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2010, 12:58 PM   #4
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehssan_alkhiyami View Post
that's nice ,,, thanks for your confirmation ..

i will have to find a solution now to switch off the ambers
If you set the headlight switch to the "0" setting, the angel eyes stay on when the car is on, but the ambers stay off. However, on that setting they don't come on automatically when you unlock the car, only when you start the car.

By the way, this is only for cars with the automatic xenon lights

Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 02:14 PM   #5
candrist
Rep
Drives: 2011 LeMans Blue on Lemon 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1speedbike View Post
If you set the headlight switch to the "0" setting, the angel eyes stay on when the car is on, but the ambers stay off. However, on that setting they don't come on automatically when you unlock the car, only when you start the car.

By the way, this is only for cars with the automatic xenon lights
All 35 series cars have the Xenons installed from the factory so that should not even be a concern.

2011 BMW 135i LeMans on Lemon, DCT, ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 04:19 PM   #6
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

OP, first it is: Daytime Running Lights = DRL

Yes, the orange parking lights are always on. The other way around this would be to have the car coded to EU specs. "some" dealers can do this. But it rare to find one who knows how too. Also... any person who knows BMW's can also "code" you lights for you. In Germany there are many people who do this.

One other thing you might want to keep an eye out for is... option #840. Since you are in Dubia... all US cars have a 130 mph (210 kph) speed limiter. IF you get a car with the M-package (the full M one) it comes with option #840 "speed syncronation" which means a top speed of 155 mph or 250 kph. The guys who code the cars can not get around this speed limiter. Although some of the engine tuners can. Just a FYI.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 04:23 PM   #7
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post

Yes, the orange parking lights are always on. The other way around this would be to have the car coded to EU specs. "some" dealers can do this. But it rare to find one who knows how too. Also... any person who knows BMW's can also "code" you lights for you. In Germany there are many people who do this.

When my headlight switch is at the 0 setting, or at 12 o' clock vertical, the amber parking lights aren't on at all, and I have a US-Spec car. The ambers do not turn on unless you turn to the parking light setting or if the low beams are on. Is it different for Euro cars? Unless you're referring to keeping the ambers off while the low beams are on as well, which does require dealer or tuner reprogramming.

Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 05:22 PM   #8
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

^^^Yes... I was referring too - turning off the orange parking lights WHILE the headlights are on. I have a US spec car too.

What I meant was IF the OP wants a EU spec headlight functions... that CAN be done via car coding to EU specs. A lot of the 1er's and 3er's guys over here in Germany like to have their cars coded to US DRL specs. lol That is the way it is. Everyone wants what they can not have.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 06:12 PM   #9
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
^^^Yes... I was referring too - turning off the orange parking lights WHILE the headlights are on. I have a US spec car too.

What I meant was IF the OP wants a EU spec headlight functions... that CAN be done via car coding to EU specs. A lot of the 1er's and 3er's guys over here in Germany like to have their cars coded to US DRL specs. lol That is the way it is. Everyone wants what they can not have.

Ohh okay, I wasn't sure if you were still referring to just the DRL's on, or the DRLs and headlights on. Thanks for the clarification

Appreciate 0
      12-01-2010, 02:04 AM   #10
ehssan_alkhiyami
Germany
Rep

Quote:

One other thing you might want to keep an eye out for is... option #840. Since you are in Dubia... all US cars have a 130 mph (210 kph) speed limiter. IF you get a car with the M-package (the full M one) it comes with option #840 "speed syncronation" which means a top speed of 155 mph or 250 kph. The guys who code the cars can not get around this speed limiter. Although some of the engine tuners can. Just a FYI.
I always mix between RDL and DRL

I have already vishnu V4 waiting for my next car to be installed in ..

speed limiter is not an issue for me anyway , I'm not planning to drive above 200 KM/h with 135I ( kinda scary in such a small car ) ..

but great info you provided here , thank you

we have autologic in one of my friends garage as well so I'm sure recoding the car to euro specs is not an issue at all and we've done it for several cars ..
Appreciate 0