BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-16-2010, 04:20 PM   #1
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi A4

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
BT Tool and BMS CAN tool Differences?

Someone please lay out for me the main differences or pros/cons between the BT tool and the CAN tool. I know the obvious which is with the BT tool you can visually see the codes and select and delete specific ones, whereas with the CAN tool, it deletes all or none. Is there more to is, easier or harder? I have the BT tool now but it seems to me that the CAN tool would be more ideal say to have in the car always incase you need to make an emerg trip to the dealer and u then just wip this cable out n click click their gone as opposed to needing a laptop, etc. with the bt tool. Also, I noticed the CAN tool allowed for "auto code delete" for things like exhaust modes, etc. which im assuming means everytime after you select this it will delect any and all codes from mods like DP's or tunes, is this correct?

Anyone with the CAN tool just please broaden my mind bout how it works.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2010, 10:59 PM   #2
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

No BMW tool can delete specific codes. Deletes are always all or nothing per module. The CAN Tool is ECU/DME module only and does not require a laptop. Also has some other nifty features like auto deletion for downpipes, a shift light, etc. The BT is more extensive diagnostics tool and uses a laptop.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2010, 11:10 PM   #3
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
No BMW tool can delete specific codes. Deletes are always all or nothing per module. The CAN Tool is ECU/DME module only and does not require a laptop. Also has some other nifty features like auto deletion for downpipes, a shift light, etc. The BT is more extensive diagnostics tool and uses a laptop.

Mike
Right so how does that work??

I read the "use details" off the site, but it doesnt really explain how things like the auto deletion work, etc. If you select that and have a catted or catless DP that causes codes, will it just cause those codes to be automatically deleted everytime they show up from then on out or dyou hafta keep plugging it in for it?
Also, the BT can delete single codes, ive used mine to do so. You can find specific codes and delete them without deleting others if you choose. Which is why im considering this and selling the BT tool cuz I dont use the BT tool hardly at all. Someone that tracks their car alot or has a JB3 tune on a high map with catless DP's that will probably throw more codes more often sure. But I dont, i run JB+ currently at 1/2 with yet to see any codes so I really just need something kinda like this that can just plug in, see the codes, delete em and thats it. As long as its simple nuff. I just want a more in depth explanation of its uses is all
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 06:49 AM   #4
e46m3to335i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

Side note.

If you have the Can tool and you have the auto-delete option enabled. When you get a code that is something other than DP's or a over boost code it will delete it before you ever know you threw a code. It would be nice if the CT would ONLY delete overboost shadow codes and DP codes. This way if something went wrong with your car while you were driving, it wouldnt erase the new code before you get a chance to read the new code. If anyone needs more explanation to what I am trying to explain, search my most recent threads. The CT is a very nice little tool but I will be getting a BT cable and disabling the auto-delete feature on my CT.

-Nick
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 07:15 AM   #5
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thez99 View Post
Right so how does that work??

I read the "use details" off the site, but it doesnt really explain how things like the auto deletion work, etc. If you select that and have a catted or catless DP that causes codes, will it just cause those codes to be automatically deleted everytime they show up from then on out or dyou hafta keep plugging it in for it?
Also, the BT can delete single codes, ive used mine to do so. You can find specific codes and delete them without deleting others if you choose. Which is why im considering this and selling the BT tool cuz I dont use the BT tool hardly at all. Someone that tracks their car alot or has a JB3 tune on a high map with catless DP's that will probably throw more codes more often sure. But I dont, i run JB+ currently at 1/2 with yet to see any codes so I really just need something kinda like this that can just plug in, see the codes, delete em and thats it. As long as its simple nuff. I just want a more in depth explanation of its uses is all
You're mistaken on the deleting a single code with the BT but the CT is pretty simply to use! Check out the PDF guide on BMS' site for detailed directions.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2010, 01:04 AM   #6
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Yea i read the PDF but it still didnt really explain how the auto-delete works, although apparently from what that other dude just said, when you enable it it basically deletes every code from then on, is this true? I mean if I had a CEL from a HPFP failure or something else that wasnt from my DP or tune, I would wanna know about it. The PDF makes it sound like the only codes the autodelete takes care of are ones from DP's and tunes. Can someone confirm which is true here? Cuz honestly I dont need all the coding abilities of the BT tool, i mainly got it cuz i thought it was the only tool to delete codes when I bought my JB+, now I find the CAN tool and wondering if I really just could go with this and sell my BT to someone who tracks their shit or has catless dps and wants the BT to check all their A/F ratio and boost goodness.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2010, 07:35 AM   #7
e46m3to335i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

check my threads brother. Terry stated in my thread that if I had the auto delete function enabled when I encountered the half engine light I had, then the CT deleted the new code also........

-Nick
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2010, 12:46 PM   #8
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Hmm...so then this item fixes things its not supposed to and does something it shouldnt??

Startin to confuse meh..
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2010, 12:53 PM   #9
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
It sounded to me like the auto delete just took care of the emissions and tuning codes but if that includes everything then that's no good. I want to know if the car is having a hpfp failure or something similar, i just dont wanna see the CEL for the DP everytime it turns on. I dunno, what is suggested for someone like me with an early 2010 135 if I install catted DP's with o2 sensors plugged in? All the sites that sell catted DP's say theres no CEL's for pre "something" 1ers but ones after a certain date are "still researching" or something...
Appreciate 0