ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-15-2010, 09:43 AM   #1
ANUSTART
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4

2005 Z4 2.5 Won't start. Ignition? Lights come on, go out?

Hi everyone. Sorry to make this my first post here. Was hoping to say hi previous to a problem post. Any help will be much appreciated.

Here are the car specs: 2005 2.5, manual transmission, new battery (April 2010), 9,500 miles, no security, no mods all stock. The only upgrade to the car is the 10 speaker stereo. It is the most base model they made with manual vinyl seats. Outside temperature in the high 40s.

I drove the Z yesterday and had to problems. Ran great. This morning, I went out to go to work, put the key in, pushed in the clutch, turned the key, all the lights came on and as soon as it got to the point of starting the car, it all went out. No electrical function to the car at all, no lights, door locks, nothing at all. I went around to the back, opened the trunk, looked to make sure the battery was connected properly and out of the corner of my eye the trunk light came on out of nowhere. So, I put everything back together, got back in and turned the key again. Same exact thing happened again.

Any thoughts or ideas on this? Thanks to all in advance!
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 10:42 AM   #2
ZZZZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i winterbeater

Definitely battery. Although visually the battery was connected, I'd suggest re-tightening everything. Wouldn't hurt to disconnect the cables and give the posts & clamps a good sanding and try to re-connect. Also ensure the little 'light' in the battery cover shows green. If not, try another battery or jump-starting.

It's definitely a battery issue, my guess is last night something was left on which drained the battery, or there's battery drainage happening somewhere, a bad relay could cause this, bad alternator as well.

Last edited by ZZZZ; 11-15-2010 at 11:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 10:48 AM   #3
ANUSTART
Captain
Rep

I will check it as soon as I get home tonight. Thanks for all the tips! Will look at all these areas.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 02:03 PM   #4
ANUSTART
Captain
Rep

Whew! Was a loose positive battery connection. I guess the lackies at Sears forgot to tighten it when it was replaced. Runs like a champ now!
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 02:57 PM   #5
ZZZZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i winterbeater

Glad to hear you got it sorted out.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 03:57 PM   #6
ANUSTART
Captain
Rep