BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-17-2010, 06:10 PM   #1
takashin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 YMB F82 M4

Can the 1M be leased?

Looking to get out of my 6AT 335 and into a manual. Then the 1M pops up and I'm all kinds of excited, though I would rather lease the vehicle than own it....

Is this going to be possible or should I just get myself into a 6MT 335 or 135?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2010, 06:19 PM   #2
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

I don't see why not, but I'd expect any lease through BMWFS to suck, so plan on doing some home work to score yourself a lease worth your time, and money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamarquis View Post
Looking to get out of my 6AT 335 and into a manual. Then the 1M pops up and I'm all kinds of excited, though I would rather lease the vehicle than own it....

Is this going to be possible or should I just get myself into a 6MT 335 or 135?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2010, 06:26 PM   #3
dicker
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

It will be expensive when it first comes out. If it's anything like the Z4 M you'll be able to score a great lease deal at the end of production.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2010, 08:13 AM   #4
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicker View Post
It will be expensive when it first comes out. If it's anything like the Z4 M you'll be able to score a great lease deal at the end of production.
+1 By waiting a year, my dad was able to get a great deal on his Z4M Coupe

I imagine there will be a few of these around towards the end of the production cycle that could be picked up cheap...
      10-18-2010, 01:43 PM   #5
opulencenj
Rep
Drives: nothing yet

damnit, I was planning on leasing the 1M too.
I was thinking since the msrp would be around the same as an 335i (optioned or what not) based on some of the reviews so far. I figured I would be able to get a lease for about as much as it would cost for a 335i.
I expect the rates to be different for the 1M but hopefully not that different where ill be paying 335is type notes.
Heres to hoping that the 1M does not fly out of dealerships so I can negotiate a reasonable lease deal.
Plus, I want one asap so that when my lease ends ill be able to jump into the next generation 1 or 3 series.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2010, 02:16 PM   #6
Kurt_OH
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 ZCP

I doubt BMWFS lease rates will be any worse than good rates elsewhere - that doesn't make sense.

Still, you can bet they won't be "subsidizing" these cars like they might something tougher to move.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2010, 03:17 PM   #7
JHOOPS2
AKA HISSMAN
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 SG 135i Coupe'

I've never leased a vehicle. What exactly are the pros of doing so?

-Jeff
      10-18-2010, 03:22 PM   #8
takashin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 YMB F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by opulencenj View Post
damnit, I was planning on leasing the 1M too.
I was thinking since the msrp would be around the same as an 335i (optioned or what not) based on some of the reviews so far. I figured I would be able to get a lease for about as much as it would cost for a 335i.
I expect the rates to be different for the 1M but hopefully not that different where ill be paying 335is type notes.
Heres to hoping that the 1M does not fly out of dealerships so I can negotiate a reasonable lease deal.
Plus, I want one asap so that when my lease ends ill be able to jump into the next generation 1 or 3 series.
We are on the same wavelength. I kind of don't like owning a car with a constantly failing HPFP; I understand there is a warranty but I'd love to be able to wash my hands of it when the time comes. Not to mention I want to drive the 1M somewhat hard and know full well the costs involved.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2010, 03:24 PM   #9
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

It makes sense, and you just spelled out the biggest reason.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_OH View Post
I doubt BMWFS lease rates will be any worse than good rates elsewhere - that doesn't make sense.

Still, you can bet they won't be "subsidizing" these cars like they might something tougher to move.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2010, 04:27 PM   #10
Kurt_OH
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-sauerkraut View Post
It makes sense, and you just spelled out the biggest reason.
How is that? What I said is that BMWFS, a finance company, won't be subsidizing the 1M. I didn't say they'd be PUNISHING them. I suspect they'll compete in the lease market for 1M business just like any other entity not at all concerned about 1M sales: they'll offer a competitive market rate.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2010, 06:03 PM   #11
Hexley
Can't Stop Lovin' Blue
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i Coupe

Garage List
2011 128i  [0.00]
Leasing benefits those who can deduct the taxes (business purposes), those who drive low miles per year, those who want lower payments so they can put larger sums elsewhere, those who like to only keep their car a few years, those who don't wish to heavily modify a stock car, etc.

Leasing doesn't benefit those who want to eventually own something (i.e. a time of no monthly payments), drive lots of miles, want to mod their car, etc.

More info @ http://www.leaseguide.com/lease03.htm
      10-28-2010, 12:04 AM   #12
friscogypsee
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: planning my getaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexley View Post
Leasing benefits those who can deduct the taxes (business purposes), those who drive low miles per year, those who want lower payments so they can put larger sums elsewhere, those who like to only keep their car a few years, those who don't wish to heavily modify a stock car, etc.

Leasing doesn't benefit those who want to eventually own something (i.e. a time of no monthly payments), drive lots of miles, want to mod their car, etc.

More info @ http://www.leaseguide.com/lease03.htm
Great info guys and I might ad one benefit of leasing is that most of the time you can still buy out or finance the remaining debt on the car after the lease is up, if you like it so much and you want to keep it. I like this because you have options. I will try to lease the 1M, and if I like the next generation M cars I can get out of the lease and into a new 1M or M3. If the new M cars don't deliver the goods, use the option to purchase after the lease.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 01:01 AM   #13
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Cool, well I think the M3 leases from BMWFS sucked. Go figure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_OH View Post
How is that? What I said is that BMWFS, a finance company, won't be subsidizing the 1M. I didn't say they'd be PUNISHING them. I suspect they'll compete in the lease market for 1M business just like any other entity not at all concerned about 1M sales: they'll offer a competitive market rate.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 09:11 AM   #14
PKL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4, 2022 X6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHOOPS2 View Post
I've never leased a vehicle. What exactly are the pros of doing so?

-Jeff
NONE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexley View Post

just to piggy back of this guys post, when you lease you CANNOT:

drive as much as you want, and you get raped for every mile over.
mod the car at all.
you DO get charged by the dealer for every cosmetic blemish at turn in.
and if you want to eventually buy the car at the end of the lease period, you screwed yourself by leasing in the first place.

I am totally against leasing in every way.

Unless your company is going to lease a car for you and pay for all expenses. then thats cool
      10-28-2010, 09:32 AM   #15
Kurt_OH
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKL View Post
NONE.

mod the car at all.
and if you want to eventually buy the car at the end of the lease period, you screwed yourself by leasing in the first place.

Unless your company is going to lease a car for you and pay for all expenses. then thats cool

Buying a luxury or sports car is a "luxury"; its not necessary. Thus doing so is a bad financial decision. The WAY you pay for a $50k car is FAR less important that the fact that you chose to buy one at all.

Want to make a good fiscal decision? Buy a well used, Low options economy car and drive it forever.

Wanna ENJOY driving? Stop worrying about the 5%-10% difference in cost of finance options, make the best choice for you (downpayment, lease, finance, cash) and go get your dream car!
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 09:36 AM   #16
scott135i
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Yes, it can definately be leased. Expect to pay upwards of $900-$1000 a month w/ no money down though.... especially when it first comes out (first 3-4 months)
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 10:28 AM   #17
BlackjackMulligan
Most interesting Roadster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 Z3.0 Roady;'10 C300 Sport

Garage List
Quote:
NONE.

mod the car at all.

not completely correct, and looks like you're letting your aversion to leasing sway your comments:

Pick the right lease and you can drive as much as you want. I have 3 months left on my 2 year lease and I'm 3k less then my 20k limit- perfect amount

You DO NOT get charged for every cosmetic blemish. BMW will send a packet with a cardboard "tool" that helps you measure any blemish and determine what will and won't get charged. If you keep you car in any semblance of good shape (which most enthuisasts do) you won't have a problem. My car is in literally perfect shape so I won't have an issue, and never have at turn in (I will need new rear RFT, but I'd need them whether I purchased or not, they suck and they wore out)

you don't necessarily screw yourself at lease turn in if you want to buy it. BMWFS is usually open to negotiating the price, and you can purchase it for much cheaper than a dealer would have a CPO unit on the lot for- there's no additional dealer margin necessary. Plus, you're getting a car that you know you took good care of. I'm not saying this is the best way- but you're certainly not "screwed".

I'm fully against PURCHASING a new car. Why? it's a bad investment. I like getting a new a new car every 2-3 years, I like always being under warranty and I like not having to negotiate trade in values. Leasing isn't for everyone but for those that it works for it is a great alternative.

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 10:34 AM   #18
Mr. Clarkson
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
NONE.

mod the car at all.

How come you can't mod? How'd my mods get on my leased car? Does the dealer send spies out to make sure all its leased cars are not changed in anyway? Can mods not be reversed?

Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 03:51 PM   #19
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

It's a lifestyle and financial decision. You are basically leveraging and it comes with its risk and upside rewards.

If BMW or GM is offering 0% financing deal I'd take full advantage of it. Basically free money instead of being tied in less liquid asset such as a car. Usually I buy to own so cash purchase is my preference however in the last 2-3 years I have been changing cars quite a bit so leasing also makes sense.
      10-28-2010, 04:01 PM   #20
Raine
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 E82, '04 E60

Nothing wrong w/ leasing, it's supposedly great if you own a business and use it as a write off.
Appreciate 0