BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

09-22-2010, 09:07 PM   #1
1MORELAP
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 911 GTS '19 X3, X5, X7

Question Is Powerchip a custom tune? What about OE?

It seems that some people that get Powerchip end up getting a custom tune for their cars but some just get a flash and go home.

This is definitely not clear on the Powerchip (PC) web site.

I assume that PC has a base map, that then the flashing dealer has the ability to modify to optimize for one's car. Is that correct? If so:
  1. Are the modifications made globally or is a custom map written? Meaning, can they change timing or AFR at specific throttle and RPM points or only modify a global parameter that affects all RPM positions. So you can add timing or go leaner across the entire band versus just where you need it?
  2. What is OE Tuning and PC and Giantini relationship? (I do not care about uber details, just a clear go to this person for that.)
  3. Reflash, reflash, reflash... how does that work, especially if a custom map was made for you...
  4. Readiness codes... I need to check about WA, but it seems that if I got primary catless, the software will disable CEL but never clear readiness code. That may not pass emissions. To fix that I would need to flash to stock and install cats... Now, if my car does not need to be emission tested for 5 years - I do not care... but what is the skinny here?
      09-22-2010, 11:11 PM   #2
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MORELAP View Post
It seems that some people that get Powerchip end up getting a custom tune for their cars but some just get a flash and go home.

This is definitely not clear on the Powerchip (PC) web site.

I assume that PC has a base map, that then the flashing dealer has the ability to modify to optimize for one's car. Is that correct? If so:
  1. Are the modifications made globally or is a custom map written? Meaning, can they change timing or AFR at specific throttle and RPM points or only modify a global parameter that affects all RPM positions. So you can add timing or go leaner across the entire band versus just where you need it?
  2. What is OE Tuning and PC and Giantini relationship? (I do not care about uber details, just a clear go to this person for that.)
  3. Reflash, reflash, reflash... how does that work, especially if a custom map was made for you...
  4. Readiness codes... I need to check about WA, but it seems that if I got primary catless, the software will disable CEL but never clear readiness code. That may not pass emissions. To fix that I would need to flash to stock and install cats... Now, if my car does not need to be emission tested for 5 years - I do not care... but what is the skinny here?
Hi Tomasz,

I received your email which contained a link to this thread. I will post a reply to answer your questions in depth by tomorrow night, Friday at the latest. My apologies for not being able to respond now - I want to make sure I dedicate enough time to answer your questions, and give you additional information.

Thank you for your inquiry.

Mike@Powerchip

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2010, 11:48 PM   #3
1MORELAP
Captain
United_States
Rep

Mike you bet. Not hurry, I just wanted to make sure you had a chance to officially answer in addition to whatever comments people here make. I like hearing the official answer as well all the opinions to formulate my truth.

I will not have my car in US till LATE this year on early next.
      09-23-2010, 08:00 AM   #4
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

As far as I know the car will adjust itself within a set a parameters so there is no "custom tune". There's a few things that make power and it's the same for all of the cars. There's not one special tune for your car compared to another M3.
      09-23-2010, 08:58 AM   #5
Eugene-TAIWAN
Brigadier General
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Coupe

I think its best to contact OEtuning or Pchip yourself.

as I know the tune is different from these 2 companies.

OEtuning has something like a V3 tune which makes very good HP.

Past: Gintani stage3 M3, Cayman GTS
present: Porsche 993RWB, 964RS America,996 cupcar, 964 turbo 3.6,Macan Turbo,997GT2,930 turbo,i3, MINI JCW
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2010, 11:14 PM   #6
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

^--so does that mean I'm right and there's no such thing as a custom tune? That's what I thought all tunes are the same for a specific set of mods i.e exhaust or 93/91 octane. There is no car specific tune.
      09-27-2010, 05:55 PM   #7
1MORELAP
Captain
United_States
Rep

Mike, thank you. Just two more questions, what do you flash on cars running 92 Octane (Seattle). 91 or 93 Octane programs? Or is there room for another Octane rating code offering? I will buy Bavarian Tech Tool and I am happy to log my car - timing, EGTs (if available), etc. Would you be able and interested in taking that data and providing me and then others with a custom Seattle (92 Octane) tune?

Finally, have you see what Softronic is doing? They sell you a cable and a flash tied to your VIN. End user can flash, re-flash, and flash to stock to their hearts content. I have that for my Porsche, and love the approach.

J... I only foresee a need for a custom tune if your car is different or running different fuel than what they have in their library. I understand and see that many tuners have a library of combinations of 91/93 octane and with and without downpipe mods. Powerchip have specific Akra tunes, but I would be surprised if they are THAT different than x-pipe/full exhaust tunes. But I am sure they were developed on a car with Akra on it - so it is great to know they are an exact match.

But lets say you invented a drastically different intake, combined with straight pipes and after market headers. That combo would likely benefit from a custom tune.

Also, 2 years ago, x-pipe tune may have been a custom one. Today its now off the shelf.

Finally, 92 Octane maybe a custom tune. One could flash 91 oct program and then play a bit with timing to see if there is 2-4 hp to gain.