BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-17-2010, 12:29 PM   #1
missi
Registered
Rep
Drives: 128i

help! 128 software

Hi,

small issue with my 128 (08.2008).
Relocated back to Germany last month, brought the car with (just couldn't leave it behind!), need to make some adjustments to register it in Germany.

Now: dimmed blinkers have to go, rear fog light has to be "onboarded".
BMW dealer in Germany: sorry, can't get hold of software to make this happen.
BMW Deutschland won't lift a hand to help (may they burn in hell).

What can I do? What is this with the software? Is this just a stupid file they need to have, like "BMW_128i.ini"? Could I get this from my US BMW dealer (such a nice guy, miss him already)? Or somewhere else?

If I can get hold of the software can the dealer then also take out the limiter? There is one, isn't there? Did not test it on I-95 just assume that the engine is limited...

Feeling very sorry for myself at the moment..want my car on the Autobahn - not in the garage.

Thanks,
missi
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2010, 12:35 PM   #2
pinmagic
The Only Sane One Here
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by missi View Post
rear fog light has to be "onboarded".
Do you mean that the rear fog light has to be activated? If so, you just need to purchase the Euro headlight switch - around $130 US. It's plug-and-play, I'm told. (Hope so, cause I'm about to install one on mine!)

Not sure what you mean by dimmed blinkers.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2010, 12:35 PM   #3
tritonx
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 128i, '92 325is

Garage List
2011 128i  [0.00]
1992 325is  [0.00]
1994 318is  [0.00]
Oh man, you are getting bureaucrafucked hard. Good luck with it. Just changing the headlight wouldn't solve it I guess?

Think of the irony, back to it's motherland and it's not road legal.
      09-17-2010, 12:39 PM   #4
MikeinAlexandria
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i M Sport Convertible

You should be able to make the rear foglights work as expected. I think all you need is the fog light switch. Do you have xenons and rain sensing wipers?

What are dimmed blinkers?

Why are you worried about the speed limiter? Your car won't go 155mph, and if you have a limiter, it is probably set to 130mph. Plenty fast enough. Also, with sustained speeds over 100mph, you'd want to upgrade your brakes and suspension to the BMW Performance or something similar, and get better, non-runflat tires.

Good luck. There is a company, Bavarian Technic, that has software for about $270 that can reset stuff for you. It is very easy to use on a Windows laptop.
http://www.bavariantechnic.com/default.aspx
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2010, 01:19 PM   #5
tgxmike
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2C 6MT, '21 Charger Scat

Garage List
2021 BMW M2  [0.00]
Call BMW, I'm sure they know what specs are different. This is probably the most expensive route, but it will be correct.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2010, 01:26 PM   #6
missi
Registered
Rep

dimmed blinkers: when turning on the daylight driving lights (or is it simply low beam, not sure) the blinkers glow a bit too (not full just dimmed). German TÜV goes mad when they see that.

@pinmagic: Thanks. I was hoping that too, but then my Beamer dealer came back with "this needs to be programmed...". But maybe he's just wrong. I think he is a bit overwhelmed with the whole thing anyway.

What certainly needs to be switched off by software is the blinker thingy. But i found company who does that: Car Coding in Munich.

@tritonx: You are so right. In every aspect!

@MikeinAlexandria: Thanks for the link. I don't have Xenon lights but rain sensing wipers. That reminds me: the headlight adjustment needs to be implemented too, hopefully that's only the small wheel which should come with the new switch...
And sorry to disagree but 130 mph is not fast (for my taste). I could do that in my 2006 120d which had roughly half as many HP as the 128i. I wanna go faster.

Thanks all for your fast replies.

Last edited by missi; 09-17-2010 at 01:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2010, 01:33 PM   #7
missi
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgxmike View Post
Call BMW, I'm sure they know what specs are different. This is probably the most expensive route, but it will be correct.
They won't help. My German dealer told me they said to him that the car will be going back to the US and therefore it's not right to take out the limiter.

WTF?! How do they know that? I'm German, I just came back after a two year stint in the US, I'm not going to leave. I think it's just a sorry excuse. For whatever reason they will not help you get the car on the road.
Appreciate 0