BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-10-2010, 09:46 PM   #1
CharlieX
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i drop top

Memory seats almost crushed my knees

For some reason, my wife has been driving our 128i vert with the seat WAY back.

So the other day I was driving. We stopped and picked up some friends. I got in the back seat and as soon as her key was in the ignition the seat starts moving backwards into it's memory position.

It jammed into my knees and kept going despite me pushing back! luckily didn't go too far, and she moved up, but I wondered how far it would go? You know those seats can slide back ALL THE WAY till they touch the backseats.... Would the motors burn or overheat if they encountered enough resistance? Or could they literally crush into your legs until something broke?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2010, 10:13 PM   #2
alexckma
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: P. Panorama 10, L Gallardo 05

i am not sure about overheating, but I am sure the rolling mechanism to slide the seat back will break. These seats are relatively strong, and if the person in front is being an ass and not moving it back to proper position, then you may get some injuries (breaking of bones depends on how durable YOU are)

My question to you though is, why are you in the back seat? If it's your car then why aren't you at least in the front seat?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2010, 10:44 PM   #3
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieX View Post

So the other day I was driving. We stopped and picked up some friends. I got in the back seat and as soon as her key was in the ignition the seat starts moving backwards into it's memory position.

It jammed into my knees and kept going despite me pushing back! luckily didn't go too far, and she moved up, but I wondered how far it would go? You know those seats can slide back ALL THE WAY till they touch the backseats.... Would the motors burn or overheat if they encountered enough resistance? Or could they literally crush into your legs until something broke?
Was the car locked as you approached with her keys?
If so, the seats should have moved into her position when you unlocked the doors. If the car was unlocked, then it will go to the settings of that drivers key.
But, in that situation you should quickly press the memory button for yours settings and it will over ride. Removing the key will stop it too.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2010, 10:46 PM   #4
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieX View Post

If so, the seats should have moved into her position when you unlocked the doors. If the car was unlocked, then it will go to the settings of that drivers key.
But, in that situation you should quickly press the memory button for yours settings and it will over ride. Removing the key will stop it too.

Sorry. Reread your description. She should have removed the key, or even just used the manual power buttons to stop it.
Did you try the forward button on the seat top? That should have stopped it as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2010, 11:10 PM   #5
CharlieX
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post

Sorry. Reread your description. She should have removed the key, or even just used the manual power buttons to stop it.
Did you try the forward button on the seat top? That should have stopped it as well.

Frankly I didn't try the seat top button - worth an experiment. It was a bit of a moment of panic ya know - all happened in a handful of seconds.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2010, 11:12 PM   #6
CharlieX
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexckma View Post

My question to you though is, why are you in the back seat? If it's your car then why aren't you at least in the front seat?
Seriously?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2010, 11:14 PM   #7
alexckma
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: P. Panorama 10, L Gallardo 05

...what's wrong with sitting in the front seat?

Maybe I am an odd one then, people whom I know who owns their car, usually sit in the front seat? Maybe you do it the other way around.

My question to you too, seriously?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2010, 11:26 PM   #8
CharlieX
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexckma View Post
...what's wrong with sitting in the front seat?

Maybe I am an odd one then, people whom I know who owns their car, usually sit in the front seat? Maybe you do it the other way around.

My question to you too, seriously?
1) it's actually her car
2) we picked up our friend and her kid who wanted me to ride in the back with him. pretty boring story till I almost got decapitated.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2010, 11:31 PM   #9
egainer
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

I have the settings for the key set so the seat moves when the car is unlocked. But you can change the settings (or in your case leave them) so that it doesn't move until the car is started.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2010, 11:38 PM   #10
CharlieX
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by egainer View Post
I have the settings for the key set so the seat moves when the car is unlocked. But you can change the settings (or in your case leave them) so that it doesn't move until the car is started.
Yeah, you can change that setting. But I already had it set to my settings, we had left it unlocked, so when she put her key in it started to move.

Still, my concern, what COULD happen?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2010, 11:45 PM   #11
MOCKBA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135 convertible

Take some strong pipe and do an experiment. But all moving parts of our car have protection mechanism, so you can't cut your head accidently leaving it in when wife decided to roll a window up.
      09-11-2010, 01:55 AM   #12
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep
Drives: a sleeper

If the seat motors broke halfway thru turning your legs into pulp that would be quite bad. Not being able to move it back forward, you'd have to call the fire brigade to cut you out

Don't think anyone is game enough to test the theory though...

E82 135i M-sport: SGM/6MT/Black
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2010, 01:54 PM   #13
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxnix View Post
There is an explicit warning about this in the OM.
Yes there is, touching one of the seat adjustment buttons will halt the adjustment procedure.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-11-2010, 02:54 PM   #14
CharlieX
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxnix View Post
There is an explicit warning about this in the OM.
Very excellent find!
Appreciate 0