BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-27-2010, 06:38 PM   #1
MikeinAlexandria
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i M Sport Convertible

Enabling rear fog lights on a US spec 1 series

Has anyone tried the part below? On a car with Xenon lights, it supposedly enables the rear fogs, which are apparently already installed.

I asked my local dealer about this switch set, and they can not even order it.

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html...ID=61316932796
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2010, 06:43 PM   #2
nordique14
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i 'vert

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...light=rear+fog

In the future please try
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2010, 07:55 PM   #3
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordique14 View Post
Thank you for flying with us. Bu bye.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2010, 08:17 PM   #4
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

On a side note... do the US spec cars have the little motors in the headlights to adjust for rake/load? Like when the back of the car is loaded up with crap... the headlights will point up some... on the euro cars there is a switch that can tild the headlights DOWN for just such events.

I was wondering IF installing an Euro headlight switch with the adj headlight height would make the lights point down when needed? I think the US lights might be totally different animals for the euro-zone lamps(clear). Just wondering.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2010, 08:23 PM   #5
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
On a side note... do the US spec cars have the little motors in the headlights to adjust for rake/load? Like when the back of the car is loaded up with crap... the headlights will point up some... on the euro cars there is a switch that can tild the headlights DOWN for just such events.

I was wondering IF installing a eruo headlight switch with the adj headlight height would make the lights point down when needed? I think the US lights might be totally different annimals for the euro-zone lamps(clear). Just wondering.
On my car, there is a headlight level sensor on the front lower control arm as well as the rear lower control arm. The headlight aiming is effected by both changes in the front and in the rear.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2010, 09:07 PM   #6
MikeinAlexandria
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

You are right. I didn't do a search. I figured it was a very esoteric question. In fact, the LeatherZ guy seems to have better pricing on the switch than Turner Motorsport. Looking there now.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2010, 04:13 AM   #7
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
On my car, there is a headlight level sensor on the front lower control arm as well as the rear lower control arm. The headlight aiming is effected by both changes in the front and in the rear.
Yes, I know our cars HAVE that. What I mean is the euro cars have a manual control on the headlight switch. This allows for a loaded trunk or say when you are towing something (heavy!) and the rear of the car has some squat to it.

The switch allows the driver to angle the headlights DOWN. I also find it useful in foggy conditions. My car does not have it, But I see there are like four or five versions of this euro headlight switch on RealOEM. So I was wondering IF it is just a switch swap... or IF I would also need to headlamp units too? To have that feature. ???
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2010, 04:21 AM   #8
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeinAlexandria View Post

I asked my local dealer about this switch set, and they can not even order it.
Mike, just FYI, your dealer can't order it because several months ago BMWNA began prohibiting them from ordering euro-spec parts. I was going to suggest Leather Z, but it looks like you already found them.
      08-28-2010, 04:25 AM   #9
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Quote:
Yes, I know our cars HAVE that. What I mean is the euro cars have a manual control on the headlight switch. This allows for a loaded trunk or say when you are towing something (heavy!) and the rear of the car has some squat to it.

The switch allows the driver to angle the headlights DOWN. I also find it useful in foggy conditions. My car does not have it, But I see there are like four or five versions of this euro headlight switch on RealOEM. So I was wondering IF it is just a switch swap... or IF I would also need to headlamp units too? To have that feature. ???
I guess I don't understand the NEED for manual control of the headlamp tilt? If the lamps automatically tilt downwards when, for example, you're going over a speed bump, wouldn't they also tilt downwards automatically when the front of the car is raised under load? I mean, the sensors don't know WHY the car isn't level, only that it is or isn't. Right?
      08-28-2010, 05:38 AM   #10
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
I guess I don't understand the NEED for manual control of the headlamp tilt? If the lamps automatically tilt downwards when, for example, you're going over a speed bump, wouldn't they also tilt downwards automatically when the front of the car is raised under load? I mean, the sensors don't know WHY the car isn't level, only that it is or isn't. Right?
Yes, you are correct. I was just curious IF this ajustment is only for the regular headlights or IF by installing the euro switch it would give you added movement (downwards) on a car with the xeons in fog or a heavy rear trunk load.

I guess I should just drop my my German dealer and ask them.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2010, 06:04 AM   #11
m7ammed
Captain
Saudi Arabia
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Xenon lights have auto level, I think Halogen(regular lights) have the manual adjustment
      08-28-2010, 07:56 AM   #12
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, you are correct. I was just curious IF this ajustment is only for the regular headlights or IF by installing the euro switch it would give you added movement (downwards) on a car with the xeons in fog or a heavy rear trunk load.

I guess I do not understand why you would want to replace an auto adjustment system with a manual adjustment system. Put something heavy in your trunk and your headlights currently auto adjust down....
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2010, 10:04 AM   #13
MikeinAlexandria
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

On the auto level, my car seems to think the lights need to be farther down than I want. That would be the primary reason for being able to manually adjust this. It is funny how the US is supposed to be a tehnically savvy population, yet there are many aspects of our BMWs we can't fiddle with...
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2010, 10:11 AM   #14
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Hi Guys,

I realized that the euro cars WITH xeon's do not have the height leveling switch adjustment. Only cars with regular halogens have this adjustment switch.

Here is a pic of Oli's friend with a 120d with Xeon's. His car has no adjustment switch. Only switches from front and rear fogs. So the car must adjust for this automaticaly.

Appreciate 0
      08-28-2010, 10:38 AM   #15
Cuz5150
Major
Rep
Drives: 06-M3ZHP/04-M3 Vert/02Duc998

Quote:

hahaha......stop driving around with dead hookers in the trunk, you will not have these issues
06-M3 Coupe-Mystic/Black/6MT/ZCP/Xenon/HK/
09-135i- AW/Bk-Lette/6MT/M-pac/Nav/Hi-Fi/Usb-Ipod/SOLD
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2010, 11:02 AM   #16
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeinAlexandria View Post
On the auto level, my car seems to think the lights need to be farther down than I want. That would be the primary reason for being able to manually adjust this. It is funny how the US is supposed to be a tehnically savvy population, yet there are many aspects of our BMWs we can't fiddle with...
The pre-set point that the lights auto-level to can be adjusted just like any other type of headlight, the auto-level is just to compensate for suspension load. If you think the lights are too low, then an alignment may be in order.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2010, 04:26 PM   #17
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Hi Gang,

Just did this mod today. It was fairly easy. Now I have my rear brake fogs!

The only thing I would add to the DIY directions is to remove that side pannel from the end of the dash/door area first. That pannel kind of holds everything together. Also I used a plastic pry bar (interior tool) to get my fingers under the dash vent. You really must pul straight up and dam hard. Feels like something will break, but everything is fine.

I ordered the switch from my local BMW dealer.

61 31 6 932 797

The switch cost me 67 euros. Be aware that there are SEVERAL versions of this switch. You need to know IF your car has> Xeon, Rain Sensor & front fogs. For my 135i thats: Yes, Yes and NO!

new switch...

rear fogs OFF...

rear fogs ON!
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2010, 04:33 PM   #18
Brian135i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 16' M3

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Nice!
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2010, 07:29 PM   #19
pinmagic
The Only Sane One Here
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i Convertible

Quote:
Hi Gang,

The only thing I would add to the DIY directions is to remove that side pannel from the end of the dash/door area first. That pannel kind of holds everything together. Also I used a plastic pry bar (interior tool) to get my fingers under the dash vent. You really must pul straight up and dam hard. Feels like something will break, but everything is fine.
Oh, well that's cause there's a little piece of info MISSING from the LeatherZ instructions! When you remove the plastic panel from the side of the dash, you can reach up to the side of the vent, where you'll find 2 spring clips holding it in place. (They are located directly behind 2 access holes in the side of the dash, but it's easier just to reach up behind the access holes, rather than going through them - you'll clearly see what I mean when you do it.)

Just depress both of the spring clips, and then gently pull upwards on the bottom edge of the vent (at the front of the dashboard). It will lift up pretty easily, once the spring clips have been released. You don't need to lift it much - it only needs to swing up a bit to give you access to the 2 screws below it.

When you go to reassemble it, just press the vent back in place, and the spring clips should pop back into place too.

Quote:
I ordered the switch from my local BMW dealer.

61 31 6 932 797

The switch cost me 67 euros. Be aware that there are SEVERAL versions of this switch. You need to know IF your car has> Xeon, Rain Sensor & front fogs. For my 135i thats: Yes, Yes and NO!
For 135i owners: It's OK to get the one with the extra switch for the front fogs, if you want. It'll work just fine, even tho you don't have front fogs. When you press the switch, the dash indicator will light up, and you can pretend you have front fog lights.
      10-27-2010, 04:21 PM   #20
Mike.Beale
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i & 2005 Lotus Elise

Now that you have rear fog lights, please use them appropriately. That means in dense fog, where someone might not be able to see your car at all without them. I have driven on the freeway too many times on clear nights and come across someone with a car with the rear fog lights on. Rear fog lights are uncomfortably bright for drivers behind you in these conditions and may also make harder to see your brake lights.

I have family in England and spent a year working over there. Over there, if you drive with your rear fog lights on when they are not needed, you are grouped in the same category as someone who drives for miles and miles with a turn signal flashing...
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 04:36 PM   #21
bozola
Unloved BMW Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z3 Coupe, 3 318Ti

Garage List
1999 Z3 Coupe  [10.00]
1998 318Ti  [0.00]
1998 318Ti  [10.00]
2008 128i  [9.00]
Guilty of turning on my rear fogs to distance tailgate drivers.....
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 04:53 PM   #22
MikeinAlexandria
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I would like that cubby option! Anyone know the part numbers for it, in grey?

ECS Tuning had the fog light switch. It was not hard to install, just a little under an hour.

The switch is smart, won't turn on the rear fogs unless the parking or headlights are on and the front fogs are on. Makes it a little tricky to use as a method to discourage tailgaters. (test mode on an SLR pro flash is good for that!)
Appreciate 0