BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-20-2010, 07:43 PM   #1
Pain
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 Mitsubishi Evo IX MR

BMW 135i performance capabilities?

Hello, let me introduce myself since i am new to the forums. I own a 2006 Mitsubishi Evolution IX MR, with the following mods;

Performance -

- FPGreen Turbo
- 44mm TiaL EWG
- AMS FMIC
- 800cc injectors
- 280 HKS Cams
- HKS Intake
- JIC TBE
- Walbro 255 FP
- MBC
- ACT Pressure Plate
- Protuned at 402whp / 398wtq @ 27psi pressure drop @ 24psi

Other -

- Defi boost, oil temp, exhaust temp, water temp gauges
- JIC Magic FLT-A2 Coilovers
- 25mm front Cusco sway bar
- Volk TE-37 bronze
- JDM Rear Evo 9 bumper

I am getting a bit sick of my car as a daily driver. It gets a lot of unwanted attention, and a lot of ricers attention. I'm 20 years old and i go to college, trying to get a degree in Medical (trying to become a doctor). I was looking at the 2008-2010 BMW 135i, and I've been doing research / watching review videos about them, and i am impressed with it's simple bolt-on parts, and horsepower gains. I am now looking at the 2011 BMW 135i N55 twinscroll single turbo setup, and i am again impressed with the horsepower gains with such little add-ons.

To all you 135i owners; 2008-2011, how's the 135i in terms of after-market add-ons, stock suspension / aftermarket suspension, and tuning capabilities? I am aware, the BMW aftermarket community is way overpriced considering its a BMW, but there is nothing i can really do about that. I am looking for a more sleeper performance car, with good tuning capabilities, aftermarket bolt-ons and everyday daily driving. Thanks for the help.

Here's a picture of my Evo IX :

Last edited by Pain; 08-21-2010 at 05:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2010, 08:25 PM   #2
schmeah
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain View Post
. I'm 20 years old and i go to college, trying to get a degree in Medical (trying to become a doctor).
Don't know much about the bolt -ons ... but take this tip. Don't go to medical school. The health care system is bankrupt. In five years insurance companies and the government (medicare) will be paying doctors squat. So by the time you're old enough to afford a high end Bimmer ... you won't be able to afford a high end Bimmer.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2010, 08:56 PM   #3
Tessio
Private
Rep
Drives: 2001 M5

Somehow I don't think Doctors do it for the money

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmeah View Post
Don't know much about the bolt -ons ... but take this tip. Don't go to medical school. The health care system is bankrupt. In five years insurance companies and the government (medicare) will be paying doctors squat. So by the time you're old enough to afford a high end Bimmer ... you won't be able to afford a high end Bimmer.
Smart people can make money doing a lot of things. Smart people that CARE become doctors.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2010, 09:24 PM   #4
vwrefugee
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i 6MT

Quote:
To all you 135i owners; 2008-2011, how's the 135i in terms of after-market add-ons, stock suspension / aftermarket suspension, and tuning capabilities? I am aware, the BMW aftermarket community is way overpriced considering its a BMW, but there is nothing i can really do about that. I am looking for a more sleeper performance car, with good tuning capabilities, aftermarket bolt-ons and everyday daily driving. Thanks for the help.
Back to the questons at hand, the 2011 Twinscroll is different enough mechanically that none of the n54 (2008-2010) engine mods work for it. Therefore, if you get a 2011 you'll be waiting a little while for more HP. It looks like the first out of the gate will be BMS in a month or two with a stage 1 piggyback that will add about 40hp and a mountain of torque that is getting glowing reviews in beta testing. No doubt the N55 will reach the same levels as the N54 (or close) eventually. That being said, I too am new to the BMW tuning scene and although there is a fair bit of stuff available overall, the aftermarket for BMW is nowhere near as developed as it is for some of the other makes (night and day to VW, which I am most familiar with). For example, you'd be hard pressed to find a big turbo kit for either the n54 or
n55 engines at the present time. Fortunately, by starting with a 3.0 liter engine (rather than 2.0 like most performance turbos out there) you don't need a massive hair dryer to get the power - the tunes alone get you quite a bit (400 at the wheels is quite acheivable on pump gas with tune, intake and exhaust). And looking beyond just power, while I've never been in an EVO (and I know they're great performance cars) BMW's have a high-end "feel" to them that to me makes most other cars feel like they were put together with duct tape and rubber bands. There's a reason BMW can command the prices they do.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2010, 05:59 AM   #5
Pain
Enlisted Member
Rep

^ Thanks for the response everyone. I am aware that the BMW 135i N55 engine is nearly new to the market, and not many aftermarket companies have made any parts, but for the 2008-2010 135i's that are modified, how does it handle in terms of chassis, tranny, and overall feel?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2010, 06:36 AM   #6
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessio View Post
Smart people can make money doing a lot of things. Smart people that CARE become doctors.
Well said.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2010, 08:40 AM   #7
LA-Bimmer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 335i

Quote:
^ Thanks for the response everyone. I am aware that the BMW 135i N55 engine is nearly new to the market, and not many aftermarket companies have made any parts, but for the 2008-2010 135i's that are modified, how does it handle in terms of chassis, tranny, and overall feel?
The car has a great deal of potential, and while some of the modifications will be more than they might be on some other performace cars, the gains are great. I've added a JB3 2.0, LSD, coilovers, camber plates and an upgraded intercooler. Daily driving manners are great and performance/handling is vastly improved. On the track the car is as responsive as my M3 purpose built track car. While it will never have the power of my modified GT500, the overall driving experience is very enjoyable.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2010, 09:16 AM   #8
ErvGotti
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i 6MT

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA-Bimmer View Post
The car has a great deal of potential, and while some of the modifications will be more than they might be on some other performace cars, the gains are great. I've added a JB3 2.0, LSD, coilovers, camber plates and an upgraded intercooler. Daily driving manners are great and performance/handling is vastly improved. On the track the car is as responsive as my M3 purpose built track car. While it will never have the power of my modified GT500, the overall driving experience is very enjoyable.
+1 this car has great potential. I have a tune, coilovers, Fmic. just adding the coilovers made a serious improvement in handeling. I'm saving up for an LSD and cant wait to see the improvement.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2010, 01:44 PM   #9
Pain
Enlisted Member
Rep

How much whp did you gain from the jb3 2.0?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2010, 12:58 AM   #10
Pain
Enlisted Member
Rep

Anybody else with a modified 135i that would like to share how well the tuning capabilities are?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2010, 06:49 AM   #11
LA-Bimmer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 335i

Quote:
How much whp did you gain from the jb3 2.0?
Do a search and there are several threads with dyno information here and on the 3 series forum. You can also go to: http://burgertuning.com/results.html

for some ideas. I have not dyno'd my 135, but there are many people getting 350 to 400rwhp with pump gas depending on individual mods and dyno used. Going to race gas, etc. there are several well over 400.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2010, 02:42 PM   #12
Pain
Enlisted Member
Rep

How does the stock chassis / tranny handle with higher power? I had a 2006 Subaru WRX before my EVO IX, and as you all know, the wrx 5spd tranny can't handle much at all...I never owned a BMW, or even a RWD performance vehicle, so that's why i am asking all this.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2010, 04:48 PM   #13
bimmerboy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

The capabilities are there, it is just much more expensive to modify than an EVO...

For example: For the price of your Upgraded turbo on the evo, you could only get a quality turbo-back exhaust for the bmw...

Upgraded stock turbos right now cost more than fully upgraded turbos for an evo.

Just some food for thought, overall it is a great car.
      08-22-2010, 06:25 PM   #14
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: IS 300

Garage List
Im 21 finishing up school at USF for Finance... I went to BMW and was offered a deal I could not pass up... But I would play it safe and go with Dinan...

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2010, 05:01 AM   #15
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
To the OP. Given you're trying to be a doctor, I suggest you learn uses of the following:

Appreciate 0
      08-23-2010, 01:28 PM   #16
Pain
Enlisted Member
Rep

For all you people who said "Search is your friend", it's pretty obvious if you want to look for something, then just search for it. I don't see the problem if i have a question and simply want to ask so i can get a direct response to my question. If you people who say "search", simply don't even respond to this thread, that simple. And i don't really need 3 people saying exactly the same thing, thanks. To the others that have helped out, i appreciate it. My decision is leaning towards the 135i.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2010, 03:59 PM   #17
Dr3K0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

Search is your friend as some has reply before. But in honest helping hand you are asking several questions on which you would spend a week easy to find what you are looking for.

The round up is the following.

Since you want to mod, go for an N54. The mods are out there and are the vids and rave info you have found. N55 it’s too new to know if will get at the same level right now.

Chassis is stiff as can be. I have seen pics of 135's on accidents and they hold their ground remarkably. There is not much chassis flex. BUT, there is some flex on the rear sub-frame. That can be fixed with the M3 bushings.

The suspension by default is "ride compliant". Sporty but lux, if you know what I mean. It tends to over steer at the limit. Also it comes with an e-diff, it’s an computer controller "lsd". In reality it’s an open diff but the computer locks the brakes to work as LSD. Suspension can be enhanced with springs, shocks or coil-over; pick your poison. An M3 e93 front sway bar help a lot with body roll and under steer. Also M3 suspension bits fit the 135i suspension which enhance the sport experience. They are longer, has stiffer bushings. Camber plates give you more negative camber. Also, the RTF sucks for performance driving. A good set of sticky tires makes a whole of improvement.

Exhausts are a lot to choose from, most are the same things tho. Just pick what sound you like. But if you are looking for not pull attention the stocker is good, with the T-golf mod sounds nice. Catless downpipes are a good mod after a tune. Enhance the sounds as well. They are different sizes, shapes and prices. Some ppl go with catless mids as well, obviously the car gets louder.

There are several intercoolers available. I guess depends on what you like should be your route. Since you have an AMS IC on your EVO, maybe you will go the same route for the bimmer. They have an awesome IC. Very well designed, IMHO.

Guys now are running meth/nitrous and some are sporting new moded stockers yielding good results. There is no big turbo kit or singles. Even so some manufacturers have their shop cars with one. Maybe in the future it will be available.

So far JB3 cars are over 400whp on pump gas, over 440whp with meth and over 500whp with a .35 shot of nos with supporting mods.

There are different tunes as well. Search and pick what you think is what you like.

No one has broken a tranny yet.

The engine is stout. But as everything, play stupid and fuck your engine.

The gearing of the 135i, 335i are good for highway pulls. Even on the 1/4 mile they do good.

Build quality is good, besides the damn HPFP. Some other things do happen to some of the members over here but some never have a single problem. I guess is luck on what you get.

Hope helps,

Dr3K0

Last edited by Dr3K0; 08-23-2010 at 04:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2010, 08:45 PM   #18
Pain
Enlisted Member
Rep

^ Great information, really made me think about my final decision. I do like the twin turbo n54 setup, but i do not like buying used vehicles, especially in terms of performance vehicles(i have my reasons). So the only choice if the N55 engine setup. If i do purchase an 135i, i am not going to mod it right away. My plan is to keep it stock, maybe just get an intake and suspension bits, rims, but nothing major for awhile.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2010, 09:59 PM   #19
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: white 135

Quote:
^ Great information, really made me think about my final decision. I do like the twin turbo n54 setup, but i do not like buying used vehicles, especially in terms of performance vehicles(i have my reasons). So the only choice if the N55 engine setup. If i do purchase an 135i, i am not going to mod it right away. My plan is to keep it stock, maybe just get an intake and suspension bits, rims, but nothing major for awhile.
there should still be some 2010's left on the lot so the n54 should still be in reach, but you'll have to maybe sacrafice a trim level.

there are a lot of used ones with 3-5,000 miles on them that were babied and never pushed. I know mine was a garage queen that was traded in for a 911 turbo. I figure the guy never touched it.

I used to own a 2002 wrx that was 360 4whp, to get those numbers i was doing a turbo upgrade, completely catless and a ton of custom piping.

to get the same results from the 135, air intake and JB3 piggy back computer. it is compareably fast, but less traction. I plan on doing an LSD in the near future and will be upgrading sway bars to go with it.

i'm in the process of sourcing out all the M3 bushings because i want to feel an acorn laying in the middle of the road. The run flat tires are hell!!!! I honestly don't know what BMW was thinking!!! I think they are really my only real complaint about the car. Maybe the final gear ration might be sitting a little on the high side... I sometimes wish it was a shorter final drive. That being said. going from a 2.0 with a monster turbo that spooled between 4 and 5,000 RPM this car has instant power and torque and is so much more drivable.

I haven't spent much time with the suspension yet. but once i've done the sway bar and bushings, i'll have a pretty good idea where any weak points are left on the suspension.

so long story short. lighter wheels and tires, chip and intake will be a very usable amount of power, and the front sway bar seem to be the things everyone recomends first. and so far i've found the clutch to be holding well, no smells or worries. and i did the golf t-mod (but did it with the solenoid instead of the vacuum line) and it sounds a lot better then stock. It's nice to have a quiet, yet powerfull car!!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2010, 10:00 PM   #20
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: white 135

and i went through 2 transmissions on my WRX then upgraded to the STi 6-speed and it was a night and day difference in the car..... it felt 100x more sturdy, and the clutch felt like it was going to last more then 10,000 miles....
Appreciate 0