BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

08-20-2010, 02:29 AM   #1
lambobambo
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Comp

Superchargers, Living with it day to day?...

Hi, I'm looking for a Supercharger system at the moment, but wanted to get some opinions on how owners have found their experience.
What are thy like to live with, does it turn the car into an unusable monster that's just built for dragging? Or can is still pop my son in the back and cruise down to the countryside for a weekend with my folks...
Also how does the car handle the power in cornered etc, do you spend the whole time in hedges? Does the traction control work with the the system?
And finally which is best, ESS, G-power, AA, Etc etc?
Thanks
HRE P40 Wheels (20" Charcoal), BMW Performance ZCP Spoiler & Splitters, Eisenmann Race, BMW Performance Steering Wheel, Carbon Fibre Exterior Trim (Front & Side Grills), Eibach Pro Springs (Not yet fitted).
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2010, 04:18 AM   #2
Bob MG
Moderating
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: like a muppet

I have a VT2 600 (6,5psi) ESS kit on my DCT. over 500whp and 450 Nm torque

The car is quiet, behaves just like a stock car for daily driving, temperatures are the same etc.

When you stomp on it, it starts to pull but is controllable power that is linear, unlike a turbo.

My wife drives my car when I use her Rangie when I go shooting, and she didn't even notice the blower.

This is this best test for you, since I am 35, and my wife gives me crap daily because of the shit I do my M. says I am a kid, which I suppose is a little true.

She noticed the Akrapovic Exhaust (which is real quiet) and bitched recently that she can hear me coming from three blocks, but never noticed the SC. This probably because I am thrashing the car on the home straight, and the SC does make the exhaust a lot louder under acceleration.

Car is a sleeper, if you want a daily driver and a very quiet system, go ESS, although I have not heard the others in person, I believe the others have blow of valves that are more audible, plus the V3 Si Trim SC ESS uses is the quietest of all the units used. The blow off is re circulated into the intake on the ESS SC, which definitely makes it less audible.

I believe others use a V1/V2 T-Trim blower, which is capable of higher boost, but is not as quiet. It uses straight cut gears opposed to helical cut gears the V3 Si trim use. Also these are not self lubricated and require oil tap in from the engine.

Here's a link to Vortech's website so you the consumer can investigate the pros and cons of each unit, and decide what works for YOU and not what others tell you is better since each person wants different things from his SC.

Vortech V3 Si which ESS use: (this is the most quiet of all of them and it has its own oil supply which does not tap into the engines oil.

http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/product.php?p=148

Vortech V1 T Trim which is some other tuners use

http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/product.php?p=4

Here is a table comparison on each blower:

http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/scspecsheet.php

AA, use a HKS GT 8550 SC:
http://www.hksusa.com/info/?id=3767

G Power use ASA T1-522 centrifugal supercharger

Last edited by Bob MG; 08-20-2010 at 08:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2010, 05:06 AM   #3
LV-E92M3
Lieutenant
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: Donkey

what a great info about the supercharger! good to know
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2010, 10:22 AM   #4
biglare
Bulldog
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW & Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob MG View Post
I have a VT2 600 (6,5psi) ESS kit on my DCT. over 500whp and 450 Nm torque........
Nice write up about the S/C!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LV-E92M3 View Post
what a great info about the supercharger! good to know
Tell everyone what you think about your S/C!

OP...... I have had my ESS VT2-575 S/C on the car since last October and love it! The car remains totally driveable everyday as I use it as my daily driver. If you want the extra power it is on hand whenever you want it. The power delivery is absolutely linear and you can feel it all the way up to redline.

I recently moved to San Diego a couple of weeks ago, but lived in Phoenix previously and the car operated perfectly in the AZ heat with temps well over 110 degrees. The gas mileage actually increased a little due to the S/C and with highway driving on a road trip you can experience over 20mpg! I think that is amazing!

I have had the car on the track and also in the mountains. The car handles great and the added power only adds to the fun. There is no hesitation with this car with the S/C if it is city, highway, canyon or track driving. It is up for every task and performs flawlessly with no issues!

Anyway, I can only speak to the ESS S/C kit and I love it. Just do your research and ask other S/C owners about their kits. Make sure to talk to the S/C companies to find out about their support for you too.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Best of luck!

GTS
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2010, 10:48 AM   #5
HP Man
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Batmobile

I'll chime in too. I've had the ESS VT2-575 on my car for about 4 months. I daily drive it, track it and take my small children in it and love every minute while driving.

The beauty of a centrifical blower is that its boost is a function of RPM, making the car tame for when the wife drives or the kids are in the back seat, but still transforming it into a beast when you hammer down the throttle.

I only have direct knowledge of the ESS kit and have to say it has performed excellent. If you are comfortable dispensing with warranty coverage, then absolutely put a blower on it. If you go with ESS, you will not regret it.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2010, 11:14 AM   #6
lambobambo
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Man View Post
I'll chime in too. I've had the ESS VT2-575 on my car for about 4 months. I daily drive it, track it and take my small children in it and love every minute while driving.

The beauty of a centrifical blower is that its boost is a function of RPM, making the car tame for when the wife drives or the kids are in the back seat, but still transforming it into a beast when you hammer down the throttle.

I only have direct knowledge of the ESS kit and have to say it has performed excellent. If you are comfortable dispensing with warranty coverage, then absolutely put a blower on it. If you go with ESS, you will not regret it.

Warranty goes in a month any how as the car is 3 years old.
Hmmm maybe its time!
What did it do to your insurance?....
HRE P40 Wheels (20" Charcoal), BMW Performance ZCP Spoiler & Splitters, Eisenmann Race, BMW Performance Steering Wheel, Carbon Fibre Exterior Trim (Front & Side Grills), Eibach Pro Springs (Not yet fitted).
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2010, 11:46 AM   #7
m33
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 VT650 MCB Individual

I put 14k miles on mine ( vt2. 600 ) with out one problem . It's super quiet you never know the car was modified until you give it gas . I get better gas milage don't ask me how
It's super smooth .
And I just upgraded to the 625 version just yesterday ! Love it love it love !!!
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2010, 11:53 AM   #8
E90///M3`
Major General
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW E90 M3  [7.60]
i've had my VT1-535 for over a month now... everything said about the VT2 kits being quiet and running like stock all apply to the VT1 as well.

i love my kit and recently dyno'd 470whp SAE on 5psi of boost =)
:Videos: EnvyRidesTV, GPR 1, GPR 2, GPR 3, ///MFEST
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2010, 01:02 PM   #9
HP Man
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Batmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomvcarter View Post
Warranty goes in a month any how as the car is 3 years old.
Hmmm maybe its time!
What did it do to your insurance?....
Insurance is not affected by this mod where I live.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2010, 01:39 PM   #10
LV-E92M3
Lieutenant
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: Donkey

They have sold more than 100 kits and if you are active on this board, you'll find out how many famous vendors are carry the ESS SC Kit.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2010, 05:58 PM   #11
lambobambo
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

great knowledge!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob MG View Post
I have a VT2 600 (6,5psi) ESS kit on my DCT. over 500whp and 450 Nm torque

The car is quiet, behaves just like a stock car for daily driving, temperatures are the same etc.

When you stomp on it, it starts to pull but is controllable power that is linear, unlike a turbo.

My wife drives my car when I use her Rangie when I go shooting, and she didn't even notice the blower.

This is this best test for you, since I am 35, and my wife gives me crap daily because of the shit I do my M. says I am a kid, which I suppose is a little true.

She noticed the Akrapovic Exhaust (which is real quiet) and bitched recently that she can hear me coming from three blocks, but never noticed the SC. This probably because I am thrashing the car on the home straight, and the SC does make the exhaust a lot louder under acceleration.

Car is a sleeper, if you want a daily driver and a very quiet system, go ESS, although I have not heard the others in person, I believe the others have blow of valves that are more audible, plus the V3 Si Trim SC ESS uses is the quietest of all the units used. The blow off is re circulated into the intake on the ESS SC, which definitely makes it less audible.

I believe others use a V1/V2 T-Trim blower, which is capable of higher boost, but is not as quiet. It uses straight cut gears opposed to helical cut gears the V3 Si trim use. Also these are not self lubricated and require oil tap in from the engine.

Here's a link to Vortech's website so you the consumer can investigate the pros and cons of each unit, and decide what works for YOU and not what others tell you is better since each person wants different things from his SC.

Vortech V3 Si which ESS use: (this is the most quiet of all of them and it has its own oil supply which does not tap into the engines oil.

http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/product.php?p=148

Vortech V1 T Trim which is some other tuners use

http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/product.php?p=4

Here is a table comparison on each blower:

http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/scspecsheet.php

AA, use a HKS GT 8550 SC:
http://www.hksusa.com/info/?id=3767

G Power use ASA T1-522 centrifugal supercharger
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2010, 06:00 PM   #12
lambobambo
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90///M3` View Post
i've had my VT1-535 for over a month now... everything said about the VT2 kits being quiet and running like stock all apply to the VT1 as well.

i love my kit and recently dyno'd 470whp SAE on 5psi of boost =)
what kind of 0-60 times do you get?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2010, 09:38 PM   #13
E90///M3`
Major General
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW E90 M3  [7.60]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomvcarter View Post
what kind of 0-60 times do you get?
i haven't tried yet... hopefully will be borrowing a v-box soon to test.
:Videos: EnvyRidesTV, GPR 1, GPR 2, GPR 3, ///MFEST
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2010, 11:02 PM   #14
DLSJ5
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90///M3` View Post
i haven't tried yet... hopefully will be borrowing a v-box soon to test.
J, Warren has one and he's in your neck of the woods, if not you are more than welcome to use mine, just let me know.
ESS VT3-750 - 60-130MPH 6.14s - 10.81 @ 135.13 MPH 690WHP/463WTQ
Shift-S3ctor E92 M3 - 1/2 Mile Trap Speed WR - 174.13 MPH
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2010, 02:31 AM   #15
m33
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 VT650 MCB Individual

This is not an attempt to knock on any venders product !
But I get emails and Pm's asking why ESS is a better choice over other companies from people who don't own SC'r
Well the way I look at it is I spent 16g's with ESS and got nothing but impeccable service and a SC'r kit that delivers raw dog power that's as reliable as it gets , so reliable that it does it without meth ! Not that there's anything wrong with meth but I rather have a kit that performs flawlessly on 93 oct rather than 93/mix of race fuel / meth .....

Every other company besides AA shows videos and 60-130 and 1/4 mile and dyno's of their product being juiced with meth & it mind boggles me when they call ESS out ... Which in the other hand makes sense cause you need competition otherwise you would never know who has the best reliable product , with this being said ESS has sold over 100 superchargers( that comes with over 100 happy customers and not one disappointed customer ) that show's Major credentials of the product/company !!

I say this cause I have first hand experience of the product being I am a proud owner of one

Cheers and do your research before buying a product cause these M's don't come cheap !
Appreciate 0