BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

08-17-2010, 09:18 PM   #1
MMMorish
Just call me J.J. McClure
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & C4 Corvette

Is it possible to adjust the engagement point on the M3's self adjusting clutch?

Like the title says, I want to adjust the engagement point as I find mine is too high and after 2 years and 17000km I still can't manage to shift smoothly all the time (even after 12 years driving strictly manuals).
MODS: Meisterschaft GT Racing Exhaust / BMC Air Filter / UUC SSK & DSSR (Modded)/ RPI Scoops / Passport SRX Hardwired / Custom Wrap 3M Clearbra / 20% Tint / 50% Windshield Tint / Key Hole Delete / Matted Out Accessories / VRS Type II Diffuser / Smoked Reflectors / Euphoria 6K LED Interior Lights / Rear Fog Light Mod / 6000K HID's / 6500K LUX H8 Angel Eyes / RDash License Plate LED Kit / LED Xenon Reverse Lights
"M3 drivers have no friends"
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 12:55 PM   #2
MNm3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Le Mans Blue e90 M3

I'm in the same boat here. I've been driving standard since I got my license. I still find it hard to drive my M3 smoothly unless in M mode and ripping it...

Driving around town is no bueno most of the time.

Great question!
      08-22-2010, 10:23 PM   #3
sasdee
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Would be interested if this type of adjustment is possible as well.
s
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2010, 11:24 AM   #4
mfeltiii
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '10 AW E92 6mt

Wouldn't the clutch stopper effectively lower the relative engagement point?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2010, 11:38 AM   #5
SlammedR8
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i/2020 R8 V10 Spyder

Hey Nick,

You've seen this thread before... isn't this what you are looking for?
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=320787
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Spyder 6MT - Ascari Blue/Black
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2010, 01:22 PM   #6
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Another on the same boat . I can drive most manual cars as smooth as an automatic right off the bat, and the ones I can't it takes me a day at the most, but just can't tame this beast . Now that I'm down to one manual car, I'm making significant progress. I blame the clutch itself, not the hydraulics. And to answer the question, no, the engagement point is dictated by both the master and slave cylinders, and they're not adjustable. And the only thing a clutch stop does is not allow the pedal to go all the way down (not smart IMO), but engagement point is exactly the same. My clutch feels exactly the same after a bleeding job, but I never had trouble with that. Mine engages right where it should be, but it's hard for me to pinpoint exactly where in the travel (I'd say between 50 and 60%). A low engagement point means air in the system (a bleed job can help there), but a high engagement point means excessive clutch wear, where slipping comes next. I'm sure your clutch engages the same way as new, meaning clutch is fine and it's just your perception, but you should drive another M3 just to make sure.

And as far as the smoothness, we just have to learn the nuances of our clutch. It's like each gear change requires a different approach, and we have to remember ALL of them to be smooth . I'm getting the hang of it... finally. Good day gang.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2010, 07:10 PM   #7
MMMorish
Just call me J.J. McClure
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & C4 Corvette

Thanks for the replies. I played with the idea of the rubber clutch stop, even bought one, but decided not to install it because like elp_jc mentioned, I didn`t think it was a good idea to prevent the clutch from going all the way down either.

I think you`re right elp_jc, mine engages at about the 60% high mark. I`ve got it pretty smooth but still no where near perfect like I know I can drive. Any other car and I would drive it like an auto, but this car is just a PITA.
MODS: Meisterschaft GT Racing Exhaust / BMC Air Filter / UUC SSK & DSSR (Modded)/ RPI Scoops / Passport SRX Hardwired / Custom Wrap 3M Clearbra / 20% Tint / 50% Windshield Tint / Key Hole Delete / Matted Out Accessories / VRS Type II Diffuser / Smoked Reflectors / Euphoria 6K LED Interior Lights / Rear Fog Light Mod / 6000K HID's / 6500K LUX H8 Angel Eyes / RDash License Plate LED Kit / LED Xenon Reverse Lights
"M3 drivers have no friends"
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2010, 07:14 PM   #8
rominl
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

very simple, just get a clutch stop

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...STRK:MESELX:IT

this is the one i have. very easy, 30 seconds to change out, and i shift so much faster now. the engagement point is much closer to the clutch stop so you can engage much easier and more precisely