BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

07-29-2010, 10:23 AM   #1
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Question about 6MT reverse lockout mechanism

About half the times I try to engage reverse the first time (especially when cold), can't get past the lockout mechanism, meaning can't swing the lever to the left. If it was reverse gear itself (like sometimes happens with first), I wouldn't be able to go up once lever is to the left of first. I simply can't get anywhere past the first gear 'H' shaft. I'd bend something if I try any harder. It's also a lot harder to swing the lever (once it cooperates) than it should be IMO, but there's nothing I can do about that. Anyway, after moving lever up and down additional times (twice or three times, since I always do it once on ALL 6MT cars), R goes in, so not a big deal, but just want to know if it's 'normal', meaning most other 6MT M3s behave like that.

Does anybody know how the lockout solenoid works? It seems to be normally open, since I remember being able to engage R with engine off, but that doesn't really matter. My bet is the solenoid only opens with clutch fully depressed (and car not moving, of course), and could possibly have a delayed action or something. If somebody can shed some light on the issue, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Finally, has anybody removed the solenoid from the tranny? Don't know where it is but I can find it next time I change the clutch fluid. Want to remove it to test it outside the car, but need to know if I have to buy any gaskets or anything. Remember seeing a plastic part that resembled a solenoid (maybe that's the one), but was buried on top of tranny. The cooler pump also was plastic, if I remember correctly. If solenoid is normally open, I might disconnect the sucker and see if the issue goes away. The R spring is so hard that I'd NEVER EVER engage R by accident, even if trying . If that's the issue, I can just replace it. Thanks folks.

Last edited by JCtx; 07-29-2010 at 10:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2010, 10:57 AM   #2
AMOCHOSTO
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: IB BB E90 M3

I have never had any trouble with getting my 6MT into the reverse part of the H pattern or fully into reverse, but one of the M3s I test drove before purchasing mine needed a ton of force to get into the reverse part of the H pattern. Maybe it's a difference between 08s and 09s though.

The other questions I have no idea, I'm not too mechanically inclined.

Appreciate 0
      07-29-2010, 01:02 PM   #3
JCtx
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMOCHOSTO View Post
I have never had any trouble with getting my 6MT into the reverse part of the H pattern or fully into reverse, but one of the M3s I test drove before purchasing mine needed a ton of force to get into the reverse part of the H pattern. Maybe it's a difference between 08s and 09s though.
Thanks man. Maybe it's an '08 vs '09 thing too. Will play with it, like waiting a second after depressing clutch to try to engage it. Once the lockout allows me to move the lever to the R shaft (left of 1st), it goes up into R easy, without any crunching or grinding.

Hopefully some '08 owners can chime in so I know if I have to mess with it, or just leave it alone. Again, if it's the 'nature of the beast', I'd be fine with it. Just don't want to be unable to get into R one of these days if it's not normal on other cars. Take care.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2010, 01:31 PM   #4
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

No issues with my '08. Just slap it to the left and go. It's no more or less force than I've needed with my other manual BMW's.
      07-29-2010, 02:45 PM   #5
DadzM4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

no issues on mine either. Try going to first gear then reverse and see if that helps.
      07-29-2010, 03:24 PM   #6
1sikbmr
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 6MT

are you rolling a bit when trying to put it in gear? I have that problem with the gear but only if i am moving a bit. But I hardly ever get that though.

F80 ///M3 6MT Avus Blue ZCP
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2010, 05:36 PM   #7
JCtx
Major General
Rep

Thanks for all the replies. As I said, I always row the lever to first and second before engaging reverse; might not be necessary, but has always helped. I also always engage R when not moving. And when this happens is with engine/tranny cold, trying to reverse out of my garage.

Will try to be more deliberate ('slap' it ) with the movement to the left, rather than applying gradual pressure, and see if that helps.

Hey, still want to know when the solenoid is energized, so if any of you have access to the electrical schematics, please check it out and let me know .
Appreciate 0