BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

07-23-2010, 11:23 AM   #1
mmm_03
Private
Rep
Drives: m3

Best X-Pipe for Akrapovic Slip On Exhaust

Hi Guys! Hope to get some feedbacks on the best possible X-Pipe for my Akra Slip On Exhaust. My main criteria for choosing the best X-Pipe is based on the following: Should not trigger Cel, no drone, performance gains in hp and torque, better exhaust noise without being too loud. I have already ruled out Akra's X-pipe due to CEL. I'm currently looking at Challenge's Steet OEM Catalyst, Fabspeed X-Pipe and Gintani. Any other suggestions are welcomed. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2010, 11:56 AM   #2
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmm_03 View Post
Hi Guys! Hope to get some feedbacks on the best possible X-Pipe for my Akra Slip On Exhaust. My main criteria for choosing the best X-Pipe is based on the following: Should not trigger Cel, no drone, performance gains in hp and torque, better exhaust noise without being too loud. I have already ruled out Akra's X-pipe due to CEL. I'm currently looking at Challenge's Steet OEM Catalyst, Fabspeed X-Pipe and Gintani. Any other suggestions are welcomed. Thanks!
We're using the Challenge piece, no CEL to report as of yet (secondaries are removed).

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2010, 05:50 PM   #3
Ryan@IND
United_States
Rep

Drives: ACR

we offer and like the following options:
1. Challenge X-pipe using the oem primaries. - great option in terms of price and no CEL.
2. Fabspeed - tricky when it comes to CEL as it has shown up on some customers and not on some.

Personally, i like the option of slipping on the Challenge while using the OEM primary cats if you are not going to do software and want something that is CEL free and not too loud.
      07-23-2010, 06:50 PM   #4
xchosun1x
Track Duty
United_States
Rep
Drives: Track build 08 E92 M3 DCT

i would get the akra piping and akra o2 sensor module.

or an ecu tune would get rid of that as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2010, 06:54 PM   #5
niqui
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E92 M3

arent most of the real gains found when going to hfcs or catless rather than just the xpipe? what could one expect from just the xpipe...
thanks in advance for some info.
      07-23-2010, 08:20 PM   #6
powertrip
Scared money don't make money.
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 DCT

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
Fabspeed WILL code, it's just a matter of time (been there done that). I'm pretty sure Gintani's 300 cell cats won't code, and they make big power.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2010, 08:21 PM   #7
mmm_03
Private
Rep

I don't plan to get an ecu tune so I have ruled out Akra's X-Pipe. Just want an X-Pipe with gains in hp and torque but don't want any CEL or drone. Tom, have you done any dyno's on the Challenge X-Pipe with Akra Slip-On? If yes, let me know the gains in hp and torque. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2010, 09:57 PM   #8
AMOCHOSTO
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: IB BB E90 M3

Quote:
I am completely in the same boat as you I want a louder, more powerful, but not too loud setup without CELs I'm almost sold on the Akra slip on, but not interested in ther x-pipe.

Appreciate 0
      07-23-2010, 10:00 PM   #9
AMOCHOSTO
Major
Canada
Rep

Are AA's a good option?

Appreciate 0
      07-26-2010, 10:40 AM   #10
mmm_03
Private
Rep

I hope guys with AA's X-Pipe could chime in their views on this product. I think the AA's X-pipe do trigger CEL as well unless you have AA's tune your ECU. Let me know if this is correct. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2010, 10:50 AM   #11
Bob MG
Moderating
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: like a muppet

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMOCHOSTO View Post
I am completely in the same boat as you I want a louder, more powerful, but not too loud setup without CELs I'm almost sold on the Akra slip on, but not interested in ther x-pipe.
Slip on makes 3 crank hp so your comment makes no sense.

Maybe....I'm in the same boat as you I want a louder, but not too loud setup without CELs I'm almost sold on the Akra slip on, but not interested in ther x pipe because extra power is not important to me.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2010, 02:25 PM   #12
AMOCHOSTO
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob MG View Post
Slip on makes 3 crank hp so your comment makes no sense.

Maybe....I'm in the same boat as you I want a louder, but not too loud setup without CELs I'm almost sold on the Akra slip on, but not interested in ther x pipe because extra power is not important to me.
My posts rarely make sense, I hope this is better.

I am thinking about an x-pipe with an Akrapovic slip on. I don't want it too loud, but definitely louder than stock. That's why I want the Akra slip on, no Eisenmann race for me. I want a bit more power, that's why I want an x-pipe, but I do not want to tune my ECU thus I want an x-pipe that throws few if any CELs. I have read AA with the new HFCs will accomplish this.

The thing is I have never tuned any of my previous cars, so I am hoping some experienced members of this forum will help.

For me my priorities are.

1) Noise; a little more than OEM, but not enough to make a middle aged man loose his mind while driving and not enough to wake up the neighbors every day. I know I like the way the Akra sounds and I know it's loudness is not too much, that's why I want an Akra.

2) Power. 10-15 hp would be great. probably won't change my driving pleasure much, but... I know this would mostly come from the X-pipe.

3) No CEL's. No F^%ing around with the ECU, no unbearable exhaust smells, no fake sensors fooling the system so I want an X-Pipe with Good Cat's (AA?)

4) Weight savings. Again points to Akra.

5) Looks. I hardly care but the Akra looks ok to me.

6) Cost, spent a ton on the car, don't care about a few grand here or there to make it perfect for me.

So I figured my situation was pretty similar to the OP's, but I didn't make myself clear, hopefully this is more understandable.

If people who know these things say that an AA x-pipe with Akra slip on will be too loud I'll probably just buy the Akra slip on for better sound. I guess I'll never miss the 3-5% increase in power from an x-pipe, but I would like to tell myself my investment yields more than just noise.

Appreciate 0
      07-26-2010, 02:28 PM   #13
LateBraking
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Relatively Quick.

Quote:

I am thinking about an x-pipe with an Akrapovic slip on. I don't want it too loud, but definitely louder than stock. That's why I want the Akra slip on, no Eisenmann race for me. I want a bit more power, that's why I want an x-pipe, but I do not want to tune my ECU thus I want an x-pipe that throws few if any CELs. I have read AA with the new HFCs will accomplish this.

The thing is I have never tuned any of my previous cars, so I am hoping some experienced members of this forum will help.

1) Noise; a little more than OEM, but not enough to make a middle aged man loose his mind while driving and not enough to wake up the neighbors every day. I know I like the way the Akra sounds and I know it's loudness is not too much, that's why I want an Akra.

2) Power. 10-15 hp would be great. probably won't change my driving pleasure much, but... I know this would mostly come from the X-pipe.

3) No CEL's. No F^%ing around with the ECU, no unbearable exhaust smells, no fake sensors fooling the system so I want an X-Pipe with Good Cat's (AA?)

6) Cost, spent a ton on the car, don't care about a few grand here or there to make it perfect for me.

So I figured my situation was pretty similar to the OP's, but I didn't make myself clear, hopefully this is more understandable.

If people who know these things say that an AA x-pipe with Akra slip on will be too loud I'll probably just buy the Akra slip on for better sound. I guess I'll never miss the 3-5% increase in power from an x-pipe, but I would like to tell myself my investment yields more than just noise.
You could always go custom, maybe? Buy a OEM X-pipe (there are a few floating around right now on sale) and cut out the secondary cats. It will have some gains, be slightly louder but not unbearably, and trigger no CELS. All a shop has to do is take out your secondary cats and weld in a straight piece of stainless steel piping where it used to be. As long as your welder does his measuring, cutting, and welding right, it will have OEM-esque fitment. No quality like OEM quality.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2010, 02:38 PM   #14
Trier Germany
Banned
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: 2009 E-90 M3 space gray

I have had the Full Akra system for about a year now. I drove 11 months with the CEL actually it's a SES light on the newer ///M's the code was increased emissions yup no shit sherlock talking to my car! the primary cats are gone. I had zero adverse effects my German dealership would clear the code and do a full system check with no errors. It takes a full drive cycle over 30 miles to get the increased emissions warning. I thought about an ECU tune but I didn't want any hassles with the powertrain warranty the tranny and motor cost some serious dough if you have to pay out of pocket! so I opted for the Akrapovic Delete-R boom bodda bing SES light gone SES light gone.

Akra for the Win Zero drone awesome weight savings and Awesome sound and solid power gains!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2010, 03:10 PM   #15
PunjabiM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 CS

My used Fabspeed is up for sale. Great power gains (have dynoed them) and good quality. You *may* occasionally get a CEL, but it can be easily cleared with a $50 OBD II reader if it really bugs you. It does not affect the car in any adverse way. Selling because I am planning on getting a 997 turbo or GT3 in the near future.
2024 718 GT4 RS | Arctic Grey
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2010, 06:33 AM   #16
mmm_03
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
We're using the Challenge piece, no CEL to report as of yet (secondaries are removed).
Tom, do you possibly have any actual dyno results for the Challenge X-Pipe?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2010, 11:48 AM   #17
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Quote:
Tom, do you possibly have any actual dyno results for the Challenge X-Pipe?
None that would be accurate for n/a since we are supercharged.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2010, 01:40 PM   #18
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trier Germany View Post
so I opted for the Akrapovic Delete-R boom bodda bing SES light gone SES light gone.
This is not a good piece of equipment to buy.... it constantly clears the codes in your ECU so you will never know if you have a real problem. Plus if anyone needs to pass a "readiness" test for an annual inspection you will fail. So it's basically over $400 just to turn off a light.
      07-28-2010, 08:26 PM   #19
mmm_03
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by J08M3 View Post
This is not a good piece of equipment to buy.... it constantly clears the codes in your ECU so you will never know if you have a real problem. Plus if anyone needs to pass a "readiness" test for an annual inspection you will fail. So it's basically over $400 just to turn off a light.
That is exactly the reason why I am not keen on the Akra X-Pipe.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2010, 08:36 PM   #20
mmm_03
Private
Rep

Quote:

We are exactly on the same boat! Please let me know which X-Pipe you are currently leaning towards now. I think Challenge's Street X-Pipe is probably the best option for now. Greg told me that he has a new and improved version coming out very soon with better gains in hp and torque without causing any CEL. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2010, 09:08 PM   #21
AMOCHOSTO
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
We are exactly on the same boat! Please let me know which X-Pipe you are currently leaning towards now. I think Challenge's Street X-Pipe is probably the best option for now. Greg told me that he has a new and improved version coming out very soon with better gains in hp and torque without causing any CEL. Thanks!
I am really considering the AA with the HFCs, but I'm worried it will be too loud. I have read quite a few posts claiming that they do not throw codes.

I don't know much about the Challenge system, I should do some research I guess.

Appreciate 0
      07-29-2010, 06:14 AM   #22
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

consider just cutting your secondary cats off... it's a fraction of the price of an xpipe and is pretty much the same if you're not going to change the primary cats and don't want to worry about a CEL.