BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

07-08-2010, 06:41 PM   #1
kitw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F91 M8, 991.2 GT3

Macht Schnell S65B40 air filter, Euro filter adaptor and scoops

Just installed these parts today.

I like the construction of the filter, the rubber moldings are very clean, and the material seems softer than the AFE material, hopefully this means it'll seal better. Quality of the castings looked great too.

The scoops were a real pain to install. When the instructions specify the holes to drill (I didn't realize that drilling was required to install the scoops.) be sure to pay REALLY close attention to the sizes. I screwed up (haha, I r punny!) and drilled the holes about 1mm too large and the push rivet wouldn't hold the scoop on. I wouldn't buy these again, especially now that I've seen the airbox... (the hole leading down to the brake duct is by far larger, and since there is the hole to the low pressure area on the hood, I can't see actually pressurizing the box at all with the front scoops.) oh well. I'm sure they don't hurt, but it's nowhere near what it is going to be on the M5 with the block off plates, and front scoops... dyno results blah blah, ok whatever.

The air filter was a breeze, after I got the euro adaptor in. Fit great, etc. Apparently, the 2010+ M3s came with the Euro box and euro filter (without a carbon filter inside!) so the 08-09 filters don't fit right. You need a longer post to fit the older style filters in. If I had to do it again, I'd get a BMC that was made specifically for the Euro airbox... and still might. :P

The euro adaptor wasn't hard at all, either, just a bit of a pain. You've got to take out the 2 10mm bolt headed bolts holding the airbox in and gently lift it out to access the clip that holds the stock retaining post in.

All in all, it fits perfectly, but the extra work to swap back to the stock filter for service (yes, I am that anal) might make me just buy a BMC and sell my Macht Schnell.

Definitely interesting that there are no longer charcoal filters in the 10+ M3s! I wonder what changed. Also, I didn't notice ANY sound difference, (although my car did sound a bit more throaty than the used 08 and 09 M3s I looked at, and maybe that is why.) I know some people have noticed more induction noise after removing the carbon filters on the M5 and that people have noticed more induction noise on the M3 as well, when putting in a drop in.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2010, 07:16 PM   #2
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitw View Post
Just installed these parts today.

I like the construction of the filter, the rubber moldings are very clean, and the material seems softer than the AFE material, hopefully this means it'll seal better. Quality of the castings looked great too.

The scoops were a real pain to install. When the instructions specify the holes to drill (I didn't realize that drilling was required to install the scoops.) be sure to pay REALLY close attention to the sizes. I screwed up (haha, I r punny!) and drilled the holes about 1mm too large and the push rivet wouldn't hold the scoop on. I wouldn't buy these again, especially now that I've seen the airbox... (the hole leading down to the brake duct is by far larger, and since there is the hole to the low pressure area on the hood, I can't see actually pressurizing the box at all with the front scoops.) oh well. I'm sure they don't hurt, but it's nowhere near what it is going to be on the M5 with the block off plates, and front scoops... dyno results blah blah, ok whatever.

The air filter was a breeze, after I got the euro adaptor in. Fit great, etc. Apparently, the 2010+ M3s came with the Euro box and euro filter (without a carbon filter inside!) so the 08-09 filters don't fit right. You need a longer post to fit the older style filters in. If I had to do it again, I'd get a BMC that was made specifically for the Euro airbox... and still might. :P

The euro adaptor wasn't hard at all, either, just a bit of a pain. You've got to take out the 2 10mm bolt headed bolts holding the airbox in and gently lift it out to access the clip that holds the stock retaining post in.

All in all, it fits perfectly, but the extra work to swap back to the stock filter for service (yes, I am that anal) might make me just buy a BMC and sell my Macht Schnell.

Definitely interesting that there are no longer charcoal filters in the 10+ M3s! I wonder what changed. Also, I didn't notice ANY sound difference, (although my car did sound a bit more throaty than the used 08 and 09 M3s I looked at, and maybe that is why.) I know some people have noticed more induction noise after removing the carbon filters on the M5 and that people have noticed more induction noise on the M3 as well, when putting in a drop in.
Great review!

Just to be perfectly clear, it's only the ICS scoop that is drilled, not the M3 itself. Once lined up - the pin pushes right into place.

The new euro adapters simply replace the 10+ airbox pin with a 1st generation version so the filter sits properly - this is what changed on the newer EU airboxes.

Enjoy the newfound power and intake sound.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2010, 09:32 PM   #3
kitw
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Great review!

Just to be perfectly clear, it's only the ICS scoop that is drilled, not the M3 itself. Once lined up - the pin pushes right into place.

The new euro adapters simply replace the 10+ airbox pin with a 1st generation version so the filter sits properly - this is what changed on the newer EU airboxes.

Enjoy the newfound power and intake sound.
Oh, is the pin a factory part? It looked like it was cast, and a little different from the factory pin.

Also, the car is drilled for the inner screw, but you're right, not the outer screw. If you drill it too big, you're only hurting the scoop, not your car.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2010, 10:32 AM   #4
lm1z
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 GT350

hold up. all i did was wedge the euro adapter between the stock compressor and the MS filter. fits like a glove. no issues.

sounds like you actually disassembled a stock part.
did i install this incorrectly?
      07-10-2010, 10:34 AM   #5
lm1z
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 GT350

go figure. they came out with a new piece
i just checked EAS's website.

I actually might go your route since it's not a "loose" part in the engine bay. Or, BMC all the way.
      07-10-2010, 12:22 PM   #6
kitw
Colonel
Rep

Yeah, the euro adaptor is cheap. And, it is cleaner than the piece you wedge in...
Appreciate 0