07-05-2010, 10:42 AM   #1
joezoid
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe

Getting kinda excited about my car...

Hi everyone,

Just got a story to tell and hopefully you guys can give me some positive feedback...

I got my 2002 e46 M3 3 years ago, and for the first 2 year it was constantly in and out of the garage having work done. Luckily it was under warranty otherwise the problems would have cost nearly £20,000! The car has never been quite right and continues to have a stutter at about 6000 rpm although, as it doesn't appear on BMWs diagnostics equipment, they won't fix it. Also, I'm sure the engine isn't as smooth as it should be at the high end - my previous e36 325ci was much sweeter.

The e46 was my dream car when I was younger, and my particular example didn't really live up to that billing. So, I now find myself hoping that the new e90 M3 I have arriving later this week really can live up to being the amazing car I always hoped my e46 would be...

I'm also hoping I didn't go wrong with the options:-

- Alpine White with Fox Red (probably a bit too pimp, but I've not got tinted windows)
- Electronic Damper Control (EDC)
- Seven-speed Double Clutch Transmission (M DCT) with DRIVELOGIC (wasn't a fan of SMG but the M DCT seemed very sweet)
- 19" M Double-spoke alloy wheel (although I like the competition pack wheels more which are like my CS wheels)
- Black Carbon-structure leather trim
- Bluetooth phone prep + telematics
- Loudspeaker system - BMW Business
- USB interface

Did anyone else here go from the e46 to the e90/92? Was it a positive experience?

Take it easy everyone, thanks for listening!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2010, 10:59 AM   #2
lambobambo
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Comp

Yes i did,
THe E46 was great, but few things bothered me, lots of squeeks and the raspy exhaust, but i never had many problems. Service costs were very hight though!
The E92 on the other hand is mich tighter all round, i have had no problems yet, and its a proper monster. The V8 makes it a very special car indeed, very under-rated imo.
HRE P40 Wheels (20" Charcoal), BMW Performance ZCP Spoiler & Splitters, Eisenmann Race, BMW Performance Steering Wheel, Carbon Fibre Exterior Trim (Front & Side Grills), Eibach Pro Springs (Not yet fitted).
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2010, 11:05 AM   #3
joezoid
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe

Thanks for the quick reply buddy. Glad to hear you found the upgrade to be positive. I think I was pretty unlucky with my e46 and all the problems.

Your e92 sounds proper stealthy! Wow! Got any bigger pics than your avatar?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2010, 05:16 PM   #4
bej
Private
Rep
Drives: M3 Conv DCT

joe - i also had an 51 plate e46 convertible man...it was only 8 mths old at the time and so had no major problems except for coilpacks...but sold it after 18mths and £12k depreciation...lol

new one is sweet and i have similar options - it's a completely different class because of the dual clutch and the edc...only downside is the mpg but that goes with the territory...

i've loved every second - drove down to monaco and french alps this month and had an absolute blast, plus they're still a rare sight...

good choice man!!!
M3 Convertible 2008, Jerez Black with individual orange peel effect (factory standard), Fox Red, DCT, EDC, High gloss, carbon leather, comfort access, Logic 7, adaptive headlights, Tubi Rumore, 20" BBS CX-R, 19" OEM and 18" OEM with Winter Tyres....investments in BP/Shell
Appreciate 0