Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > UK

05-27-2010, 08:08 AM   #1
taylorsjt
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black e92

High Speed Vibration

Hi All,

Have searched extensively on this subject through the forum but have only returned results that I don't believe are based on the same symptoms I am experiencing.

At high speed (north of 3 figures) the car demonstrates a very high resonant vibration seemingly from the rear end. It is a sensation picked up very slightly through the wheel but mainly through the base of the seat. The car remains stable and the vibration isn't heavy and it is only evident at these speeds.

I picked the car up from the dealer network used just under a month ago and it has north of 30K on the clock; the car is running on PS2's with the fronts pretty much new but rears with around 3mm on them (was above 4 when I bought it). There is evidence of weights being stripped from the rears on two previous occasions with residue and weight backing still evident. I have cleaned off what I can reach but some remains - could this be the cause?

Has anyone else had this or a similar experience. Can anyone offer any other advice?

Is it worth jacking, removing wheels and properly cleaning off the previous weight residue?

Cheers

Steve
      05-27-2010, 11:16 AM   #2
flyfs6
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW i7

I think it might be worth it getting your wheels balanced again at a good tyre fitters.

Or you could book it in for the problem to be looking at under warranty however if it is only occuring at that speed it is likely that they might not find anything wrong with it. If you book under warranty tell them you are concerned the rear wheels are not balanced properly.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2010, 02:48 AM   #3
taylorsjt
United Kingdom
Rep

Cheers. I hope it is that straight forward and not a buckled rim
      07-02-2010, 05:27 AM   #4
taylorsjt
United Kingdom
Rep

Had all 4 wheels balanced. Problem solved, no vibration and now feeling very stable (as it should) at speed.

Only got about a months worth of use left in the rears though