BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Mporium BMW

04-25-2010, 12:21 PM   #1
Bmw M3 Britian
Rep
Drives: Bmw M3 E92

Bmw M3 2nd servicing mileage ?

Hi there,
had my Bmw M3 break in service at 1200 miles, now my Bmw M3 dash is flashing service at only 7000miles. Is it an anuall service you have to have or can you have it serviced at so many miles ?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2010, 01:59 PM   #2
dno64
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 Space Grey M3

mine was done at 14k
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2010, 02:16 PM   #3
Georgeair
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 Melbourne E92 M3

It is very interesting that this would be happening so early. On a car in the UK. Where "free" service is not part of the package if I'm not mistaken.....

Quote:
my Bmw M3 dash is flashing service at only 7000miles
edit - could likely be brake flush rather than 2-year service.

Last edited by Georgeair; 04-25-2010 at 03:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2010, 02:50 PM   #4
foosh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw M3 Britian View Post
Hi there,
had my Bmw M3 break in service at 1200 miles, now my Bmw M3 dash is flashing service at only 7000miles. Is it an anuall service you have to have or can you have it serviced at so many miles ?
At the 1 year anniversary of the car's in service date, it requires a brake fluid, flush, cabin filter change, and diagnostic scan. They will also change the oil at the 1-year anniversary date, even if it's low mileage. The normal oil change interval is 15K, but you are entitled to one oil change per year under the 4-year/50K free maintenance plan in the US.

My car just reached it's 1-year anniversary at 10K miles, and the dealer did all of the above at no charge.
      04-25-2010, 07:22 PM   #5
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by foosh View Post
At the 1 year anniversary of the car's in service date, it requires a brake fluid, flush, cabin filter change, and diagnostic scan. They will also change the oil at the 1-year anniversary date, even if it's low mileage.
Brake fluid change is every TWO years from build date buddy ; check your manual. By the way, if you bought your car one year after being built (like I did), this service would show up at your 1-yr anniversary, making it confusing. I did the brake fluid flush a few weeks ago (before it was due) myself, and after resetting the computer, it scheduled it for 4/2012 (it was due 6/2010), confirming the 2-year interval. I like to do it every year, but no more than 18 months. It's only $10, and I enjoy doing it, although it's a lot more work on the M3 (my only car that requires lifting (for the clutch) and removing front wheels.

As far as the annual oil change, no dealer is going to call you to change it for free, but if owner asks, it should be covered. I also just ordered the kit to do it myself. Just want the hassle of dealing with only local dealer unless I REALLY have to. Take care.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2010, 06:30 PM   #6
Suprane
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 M3 E90

I just received a letter from my dealer telling me of my one year anniversary (of purchase) and that I was entitled to a low mileage oil change...(I knew of it, but was surprised that they would send me a letter..) Still, nice of them to do that. (Classic BMW in Plano).
(My USA arrival date and sell date are only 25 days apart.)
I dont like taking it in either, but since I have some other stuff to take care of, the oil change won't hurt (also saves me $100 too). Its hard for me to relax when the car is there for a few days though.
      04-29-2010, 11:52 AM   #7
foosh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Brake fluid change is every TWO years from build date buddy ; check your manual. By the way, if you bought your car one year after being built (like I did), this service would show up at your 1-yr anniversary, making it confusing. I did the brake fluid flush a few weeks ago (before it was due) myself, and after resetting the computer, it scheduled it for 4/2012 (it was due 6/2010), confirming the 2-year interval. I like to do it every year, but no more than 18 months. It's only $10, and I enjoy doing it, although it's a lot more work on the M3 (my only car that requires lifting (for the clutch) and removing front wheels.

As far as the annual oil change, no dealer is going to call you to change it for free, but if owner asks, it should be covered. I also just ordered the kit to do it myself. Just want the hassle of dealing with only local dealer unless I REALLY have to. Take care.
Didn't know that, just went by what the car phoned home to the dealer about. Yes, I bought the car "new" exactly 1 year after the build date (build date 4/08, purchase 4/09, serviced as described 4/10).

I didn't have to ask about the low-mileage oil change. My SA simply said you are entitled to a minimum of one oil change per year (more if you put more than 15K miles annually) at no charge under the maintenance plan. The car contacted the dealer, and the dealer called me to schedule an appointment including a BMW loaner.