BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-23-2010, 10:22 PM   #1
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

"Clown Nose" blink question

In my E46 I didn't have any added alarm or security, just what came standard.
When I locked my doors, the clown nose would blink while locked.

I haven't noticed that this happens in my 135i, should it blink when the car is locked? I don't have any added security feature, just stock.

I know, I should look it up in my manual, but I'm lazy.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2010, 10:39 PM   #2
singular
Captain
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i ppk cab

Mine blinks, but I have the alarm. I'm surprised that a non-alarmed car would blink.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2010, 10:48 PM   #3
Monterra
Captain
Rep
Drives: 15 X1 msport sdrive28

1 series standard alarm=no alarm- its part of the a la carte menu my friend- yeah hard to believe on "luxury marque" huh? Cheers!
Also 400 extra on 3 series, X3 and Z4 what's that about BMW?

Last edited by Monterra; 03-23-2010 at 11:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2010, 10:54 PM   #4
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by singular View Post
Mine blinks, but I have the alarm. I'm surprised that a non-alarmed car would blink.
Yeah, I thought so to with the E46.
Must have been some odd thing BMW did at that time.

I was really surprised to see that thing on the new BMW's.
In my E46 you use it to turn the manual rearview dimming on and off, but in the 1 I have an auto dimmer. I don't recall, but I think the auto feature is pat of the Premium package, so maybe it's still there so that you can turn it manually for cars without the auto dimming feature.

Anyone without an alarm have their nose blinking?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2010, 11:03 PM   #5
singular
Captain
Rep

I seem to recall there was a DYI hack for making your clown nose blink. You might want to search the electronics, audio, whatever threads.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2010, 11:07 PM   #6
Monterra
Captain
Rep
Drives: 15 X1 msport sdrive28

Alarm was standard on E46 hence the blinks, not on E82/E90 see also: decontenting.
2009 Montego/terra 128i 6MT (ouch)...great car
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2010, 05:18 AM   #7
fwmcb
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30 328i X-drive

Garage List
2010 128i  [0.00]
yeah, we don't even get a panic alarm...
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2010, 05:39 AM   #8
123D-M
Captain
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW 123d M-Sport Coupe

Garage List
Alarm standard in Europe. My 1er blinks when it's locked.
2009 123D Coupe | Sedona Red | Black Boston Leather | Brushed Aluminium Trim | Tinted Windows | M-Sport Package | 6M | Comfort Access | Heated Seats | Navigation | Park Distance Front & Rear | USB | Bluetooth | Voice Control | Efficient Dynamics | Rain & Light Sensors | Xenon Lights
My blog: http://urbanemusings.wordpress.com/
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2010, 05:53 AM   #9
Erik219
Statistical Consultancy (Medical / Pharma)
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW 6 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123D-M View Post
Alarm standard in Europe. My 1er blinks when it's locked.
I heard from the salesguy from BMW that the 123d has the level-2 alarm as standard. Lower than that (120d) you have a simple level-1 alarm (don't know the official name)... does it blink with that, too...?
Anybody with a 118d/120d here...?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2010, 06:11 AM   #10
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

To answer the op's question, no blinking without the alarm.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2010, 07:12 AM   #11
emtrey
Captain
Rep
Drives: 16 M235IX, 06 Carrera S, 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monterra View Post
Alarm was standard on E46 hence the blinks, not on E82/E90 see also: decontenting.

I don't think thats true. However,on the E46, if you set your lights to blink on locking, the clown nose would blink w/o an alarm. That is NOT available w/ the 1 series software.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2010, 01:03 PM   #12
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monterra View Post
The alarm was not included on my first year E46 - only the "pre-wiring". My clown nose just sits there and won't even adjust the mirror anti-glare as I unfortunately have the auto dimmer.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2010, 05:09 PM   #13
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

So... is there an LED up in the clown nose? IF so, why couldn't we just hookup some power to make it blink? No relay is needed.

Its prety simple... you don't even need a relay. I made a blinking LED for the center console in my e36. You hook the plus +12V side of the diode to +12V hot ALL the time. For the neg side of the LED you hook it up to a SWITCHED +12V positive. This way when you shut off the engine the "switch +12V" will go to ground and complete the voltage circiut. I know its sounds strange but it really works.

So... anyone know IF there is an LED up in the red nose? Or do we need to intall one?

bye,
David
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2010, 06:13 PM   #14
singular
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
So... is there an LED up in the clown nose? IF so, why couldn't we just hookup some power to make it blink? No relay is needed.

Its prety simple... you don't even need a relay. I made a blinking LED for the center console in my e36. You hook the plus +12V side of the diode to +12V hot ALL the time. For the neg side of the LED you hook it up to a SWITCHED +12V positive. This way when you shut off the engine the "switch +12V" will go to ground and complete the voltage circiut. I know its sounds strange but it really works.

So... anyone know IF there is an LED up in the red nose? Or do we need to intall one?

bye,
David
I think earlier posts confirmed that the alarm wiring is almost completely installed at the factory, and very little is needed to be added at the dealership to enable the alarm. At least that was so on the 2008 and 2009 models.

So my guess is that the led is there already, waiting to be told to blink! Again, I think there are some DYI's on the alarm that may answer a lot of these questions.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2010, 06:36 PM   #15
dragon1761
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i SGM 08; 328i AW 14

no alarm = no blink
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2010, 06:37 PM   #16
NYC6
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 135i PPKI/06 C6 Z51 Vette

Had to order my 2010 car w/o the alarm. Spoke to two different dealers about installing the factory alarm. Both of them said $695! I said thanks but no thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2010, 06:40 PM   #17
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Well... I am only looking to make the clown nose blink when the car is locked. I just want to aticvate the blinking function. So again... I ask does anyone know HOW?

I think I will out this on my "to do" tinkering list.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2010, 07:02 PM   #18
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X2 F39

OP:
My Z4 (E85) did not have the alarm as std equip, but the dealer could set the code in the software to make it blink when the car was locked.
It took a bit of detective work on the part of some of the guys on the Z4 MB to discover that it could be done and how to do it.
Initially the dealer said it couldn't be done but a poster on the MB posted detailed instructions which a number of us (Z4 owners) took into our respective dealers and we all got our non-alarmed Z4 clown noses to blink.
I suspect the 1er is the same, but someone (with more initiative than me) will need to do some digging.
      03-24-2010, 08:01 PM   #19
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnut View Post
OP:
My Z4 (E85) did not have the alarm as std equip, but the dealer could set the code in the software to make it blink when the car was locked.
It took a bit of detective work on the part of some of the guys on the Z4 MB to discover that it could be done and how to do it.
Initially the dealer said it couldn't be done but a poster on the MB posted detailed instructions which a number of us (Z4 owners) took into our respective dealers and we all got our non-alarmed Z4 clown noses to blink.
I suspect the 1er is the same, but someone (with more initiative than me) will need to do some digging.
Thanks for all the responses guys.

Carnut, you may on to something there.
I don't recall that my E46 came standard with an alarm.
I think I remember it being an option.
However, I think that activating it was something you could do with the ECM/ECU software.
On my E46 the windows and sunroof open/close by keyfob was an option set by the software. I really liked having it. If I got out of the car and forgot to close the windows and or sunroof, I simply held the lock button and everything would close. On the way to the car I would hold the unlock button and all the windows would open and then the sunroof. It was great on hot summer days after the car sat for 8 hours in the hot sun.
Doing that really helped the AC cool the car down really quick.
I wish those features were activated on my 135i.

Does anyone know if I can get those functions turned on by the dealer?
I've got to take my 1 in to get the TPS looked at, and to mention longish cranks along with the audio system coming on but no sound.
I understand from reading some threads, that BMW will load the newest software if the car has those symptoms.
So, if I can get the close/open features turned on, it would be great to get all this done at once.
Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2010, 10:15 AM   #20
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X2 F39

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
Thanks for all the responses guys.

Carnut, you may on to something there.
I don't recall that my E46 came standard with an alarm.
I think I remember it being an option.
However, I think that activating it was something you could do with the ECM/ECU software.
On my E46 the windows and sunroof open/close by keyfob was an option set by the software. I really liked having it. If I got out of the car and forgot to close the windows and or sunroof, I simply held the lock button and everything would close. On the way to the car I would hold the unlock button and all the windows would open and then the sunroof. It was great on hot summer days after the car sat for 8 hours in the hot sun.
Doing that really helped the AC cool the car down really quick.
I wish those features were activated on my 135i.

Does anyone know if I can get those functions turned on by the dealer?
I've got to take my 1 in to get the TPS looked at, and to mention longish cranks along with the audio system coming on but no sound.
I understand from reading some threads, that BMW will load the newest software if the car has those symptoms.
So, if I can get the close/open features turned on, it would be great to get all this done at once.
Thanks again
I checked back though the 2003 dicussions on the Z4 forum and came up the the following procedure to get the clown nose to blink -- it was really a simple fix..

Ask the dealer to download/activate the alarm programming as if there was an alarm installed, even though there isn't.
The clown nose blinking and the parking light flash is part of the alarm software and many dealers therefore assume it cannot be done without the alrm installed. However, it still works, even if the alarm itself isn't installed, if the alarm software/option is activated.
That's how my non-alarmed Z4 ended up with a blinking clown-nose.

I suspect it's probably the same with the 1er..
      03-26-2010, 07:48 AM   #21
zerbitini
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

RPM90,

My E46 did not have the alarm, but I asked my Service Advisor to turn the blinking clown nose feature on, and he obliged. Cool guy... too bad he doesn't work there anymore.
My 135 windows & sunroof DO all roll open/shut using the key fob... and they did that when I took delivery - I did not have to ask to have that feature programmed. I would think you could get that done by your SA without any problem.
Good luck!
      03-26-2010, 08:28 AM   #22
Midgad
Free Skier
Rep
Drives: 128i Coupe, 6MT, M-Sports

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnut View Post
I checked back though the 2003 dicussions on the Z4 forum and came up the the following procedure to get the clown nose to blink -- it was really a simple fix..

Ask the dealer to download/activate the alarm programming as if there was an alarm installed, even though there isn't.
The clown nose blinking and the parking light flash is part of the alarm software and many dealers therefore assume it cannot be done without the alrm installed. However, it still works, even if the alarm itself isn't installed, if the alarm software/option is activated.
That's how my non-alarmed Z4 ended up with a blinking clown-nose.

I suspect it's probably the same with the 1er..
I had same issue.
My 3 nose blinks but do not have alarm.
My 1 does not.
Asked them to turn it on and was told I needed the alarm ($$)
I feel the blinking nose is deterrent enough and dont really want the hassles of the alarm.
(Also, dont they really know where the car is all the time anyway??. they being BMW ASSIST)
There was earlier posts on the subject remember hearing even if you get the alarm, it still needs to be programmed to get it to blink.
Id rather not start ripping the car apart and messing with the wires to "jimmy rig" a fix.
If programming only will work that would be great!
Im bringing in the car for service might ask SA to do above.
Only thing I know he's gonna tell me its "X" $$ to program and if I doesnt work TS!
Anyone know how much they charge to just program?
Also anyone else tried this?

Last edited by Midgad; 03-26-2010 at 08:34 AM..
Appreciate 0