BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

03-10-2010, 07:06 AM   #1
Krozi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White

Spacer Troubles

Recently bought some Macht Schnell Spacers (15mmF, 12mmR)...I cleaned the fvck out of the hubs and applie anti-seize before I installed them...now at around 70mph, the steering wheel goes left, right, left, right ...etc not a whole lot but noticeable..it's not like it can't be controlled... Not sure if it's the spacers or not...I tested it on 2 different roads... mabye I am paranoid and just didn't notice it before...but I don't think so..

Just trying to find out if this could be caused from the spacers or something else...

2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White//Fox Red//6MT//
Florida Bimmer - Join us on FaceBook!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 08:45 PM   #2
rzm3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

If the spacers and wheels are properly installed, you should not really feel any difference in handling. I would double check everything.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 08:53 PM   #3
akina335
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a car

Did you torque down the bolts in the star pattern? I make sure to have the bolts tightened down a decent amount before I lower the car onto the wheels and then I torque them.
      03-11-2010, 08:57 AM   #4
Krozi
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akina335 View Post
Did you torque down the bolts in the star pattern? I make sure to have the bolts tightened down a decent amount before I lower the car onto the wheels and then I torque them.
Yea I tightened them up till I first felt a little resistance...then I lowered the car and torqued them down in a star pattern to 88ft-lbs... gonna try reinstalling them and then getting an allignment...I read that spacers can exagerate a bent wheel...if you didn't notice it before the spacer would make it noticeable...guess I am going to have to go down the list and double check everything..

Appreciate 0
      03-11-2010, 11:30 AM   #5
ben@tirerack
M3Post Supporting Vendor
Rep
Drives: 740i

Widening the track (with spacers or lower offset wheels) can cause increased tendency to follow grooves/cracks in the road (tramlining). But if it is a rhythmic left-right, left-right that sounds more like some sort of vibration/bent wheel type issue.
      03-11-2010, 03:21 PM   #6
Krozi
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben@tirerack View Post
Widening the track (with spacers or lower offset wheels) can cause increased tendency to follow grooves/cracks in the road (tramlining). But if it is a rhythmic left-right, left-right that sounds more like some sort of vibration/bent wheel type issue.
Yea I think the spacer caused the effect of a bent wheel to be more evident...gonna check for that...

Appreciate 0
      03-11-2010, 04:22 PM   #7
xxbboy
England
Rep
Drives: M3 DCT, 997.2 PDQ, GTR,

Krozi,

I had the same problem when I fitted my MS spacer. I fixed the problem by tightening the wheel bolts in the star pattern a small bit at a time, ie finger (holding the socket with my finger) tight in star pattern and gradually tightening more through the star pattern, then using a torque rench.

This way the wheel is 100% inline with your hub, the wheel bolts are tapered so while tightening them evenly you are lining the wheel inline/ centre to the hub.

It worked for me . .
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2010, 04:44 PM   #8
david @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by rldzhao View Post
If the spacers and wheels are properly installed, you should not really feel any difference in handling. I would double check everything.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben@tirerack View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krozi View Post
Yea I think the spacer caused the effect of a bent wheel to be more evident...gonna check for that...
+2

Might want to just double check everything to make sure there's nothing in there, and the spacers are all clean once they get put on. If that doesn't do it, then try the alignment shop to see if that can solve the issue.

Keep me updated
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2010, 04:46 PM   #9
david @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbboy View Post
Krozi,

I had the same problem when I fitted my MS spacer. I fixed the problem by tightening the wheel bolts in the star pattern a small bit at a time, ie finger (holding the socket with my finger) tight in star pattern and gradually tightening more through the star pattern, then using a torque rench.

This way the wheel is 100% inline with your hub, the wheel bolts are tapered so while tightening them evenly you are lining the wheel inline/ centre to the hub.

It worked for me . .
+1 as well

Unfortunately I don't have a graph to show you, but here's the best way I do it when tightening lugs. Pick one lug, then tighten that down to before you start feeling resistance (just with hands), then do the lug farthest away (across the center cap), and do the same. Then go back to the lug on the other side (which will be closest to the original lug you started to tighten), and do the same.

Keep doing this until you start feeling resistance in each lug. Once you do that, do the same 'star' pattern by torquing them down to 88ftlbs.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2010, 09:48 PM   #10
Krozi
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the help guys, the car is at the dealer right now...noticed a leaking shock when I was installing the spacers...I called them today and asked them to check if any of the wheels are bent...when I get the car back I am gonna try to re-torque all of the wheels using xxbboy's method

Gonna update the thread when it's sorted out

Appreciate 0