BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-02-2010, 01:33 PM   #1
raisemyrent
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire 428i xD GC

Limp Mode this morning

Went to buy some food and long crank, followed by a growly engine (low revs) off the start. Then the limp mode indicator on the dash, good thing I keep my manual in my gloev box. So I drove away, and stopped a couple of blocks down (limp mode verified by gas pedal), turned off the car, turned it back on, and (as I expected), everything back to normal.

I've been having long cranks now for months, but no other signs. Gas tank was almost full and I keep it over half all the time.

Should I bring it in for a check? Maybe suggest HPFP to them?

All comments welcome...
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2010, 01:37 PM   #2
enigma135
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 SG/Coral 135i Convertible

Have been having long crank issues, no warning lights as of yet though.
      03-02-2010, 02:29 PM   #3
ronster
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M VO

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisemyrent View Post
Went to buy some food and long crank, followed by a growly engine (low revs) off the start. Then the limp mode indicator on the dash, good thing I keep my manual in my gloev box. So I drove away, and stopped a couple of blocks down (limp mode verified by gas pedal), turned off the car, turned it back on, and (as I expected), everything back to normal.

I've been having long cranks now for months, but no other signs. Gas tank was almost full and I keep it over half all the time.

Should I bring it in for a check? Maybe suggest HPFP to them?

All comments welcome...

Sounds like HPFP to me... you should definitely bring it... I had an HPFP replaced on mine about a month ago... from the first long crank to limp mode in a few hours. I didn't bother trying to drive with limp mode/restarting I called roadside assist instead had it towed to dealer ... fixed on the next business day.

Anyway.. bring it in see what they say... if it's HPFP failure, insist on getting the newest version (943)...

Good luck...
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2010, 02:32 PM   #4
BimmerLearner
My car is less than a week old and on its 3rd tank
Rep
Drives: Tiag 135 Vert

Bet the wife wasnt please... here all week.

Is your car stock?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2010, 02:33 PM   #5
Berduderunner
drk one
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Garage List
2008 e90 335i  [0.00]
2008 135i  [0.00]
welcome to the HPFP fail club... both N54's in my garage experienced the same thing
BMS JB3 v2.0 | BMS DCI | Berk Tech Sport Exhaust | UR * DPs | CoolingMist Meth Kit w/ CMGS | H&R OE Sport Springs | Breyton GTS-R | Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Specs | GP Thunder 8000K Low Beams/Angel Eyes/Cornering Lights | LED Interior Light Kit | Window Tint | Smoked Tail Lights | Smoked License Plate Cover
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2010, 07:22 AM   #6
raisemyrent
Captain
Canada
Rep

thanks, yes my car is bone stock (just cosmetic mods). I'll bring it in and see what happens.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2010, 01:28 PM   #7
warmtoes
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: EBII 435i xDrive

I've been having longer cranks when it got cold back in November. Not all the time though. Mostly first thing in the morning. But, by long I'm talking about 2 seconds at most. Haven't had a light show up nor limp mode. Hopefully I don't but we'll see.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2010, 11:10 AM   #8
Terradude
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35d

I just had my HPFP replaced yesterday at 11000 km's. Very abruptly about 2-3 months ago it started to have longer crank times, typically 3 sec but occ. upwards of 5 sec. Then, about a week ago, it shuddered a fair bit when it started but then smoothed out. I took it in yesterday and they replaced the HPFP and reflashed the chip. There were a number of codes for low fuel pressure and for misfires. I dropped it off at 7 am and it was ready by 3pm.

Runs like a dream now. I'm not going to sweat something like this. These cars are complex beasts and it's better to have something fail as a known fault rather than a series of seemingly unrelated problems.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 03:00 PM   #9
raisemyrent
Captain
Canada
Rep

so it wentin this morning. They did say that if they didn't find anything faulty, I'd be responsible for the diagnostics.
He may not be aware of the HPFP issues... IF they don't find anything and they give me my car back, I'd pay the fee. Then WHEN the HPFP goes, get it refunded.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 03:03 PM   #10
Feyd
Major
Rep
Drives: a DEEZZULL

Sorry, but if you got the CEL on the dash, why would you pay for the diagnostic?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 03:38 PM   #11
raisemyrent
Captain
Canada
Rep

that's what he said,,. One thing I did leave out is that Dietrich had been wetting the bed...

so I suspected (just confirmed) that the front headlight washer had a leak. That is probably what they would've charged me for in case I was wrong.

So yeah, he just phoned, HPFP and left headlight washer replaced (they had a HPFP in stock, go figure).

You know what, terradude said it right. It broke, it was fixed, I'm over it. It never crap out on me and kill my family or whatever, it just beeped once and took a while to start... big deal. One morning in the shop and voila.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2010, 09:33 AM   #12
Hind
///Mmmm
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 BMW 135i

Garage List
if you take it in, get the new hpfp or bust.
PDC Flickr YouTube
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2010, 12:26 PM   #13
warmtoes
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by warmtoes View Post
I've been having longer cranks when it got cold back in November. Not all the time though. Mostly first thing in the morning. But, by long I'm talking about 2 seconds at most. Haven't had a light show up nor limp mode. Hopefully I don't but we'll see.
Well, a few days after I posted this I did get limp mode that was reset after I re-started the car. Made an appointment the next morning to have my car picked up this Thursday and for them to drop me off a loaner. Then it happened again upon startup on Saturday that was also cleared after re-starting the car.

It'll be interesting if they replace the HPFP right away or not.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2010, 01:58 PM   #14
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

My dealer told me that they have to get BMW prior approval for every HPFP replacement. Sometimes, it will take several days for BMW to approve.
7/08 135 Coupe, Crimson Red, 6 SP, Sport, Taupe Lette/Aluminum. Performance Mods: JB4 on Map 5, BMS DP Fix V3, Injen polished intake, AR Catless DP, Maddad resonated mid-pipes, aFe exhaust polished tips, ST Suspension Coil Over and Hotchkis front sway bar. Others: BMS OCC, BT Scanner, Mud Flap. Next Mods: AA Front Strut Brace.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2010, 02:53 PM   #15
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135I

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronster View Post
Sounds like HPFP to me... you should definitely bring it... I had an HPFP replaced on mine about a month ago... from the first long crank to limp mode in a few hours. I didn't bother trying to drive with limp mode/restarting I called roadside assist instead had it towed to dealer ... fixed on the next business day.

Anyway.. bring it in see what they say... if it's HPFP failure, insist on getting the newest version (943)...

Good luck...
'

It irritates me when people say this right off the bat....just drive the car for a few more days and see if it comes back. The ecu on the car may need to adjust for a temporary lean condition and give you the limp mode...restart the car and you will be fine many times....I have had a couple of rough idles/starts in the two years of ownership....restarted the car and have not had other problems. I honestly think many people jump the gun on the whole HPFP thing.....BTW 23k miles and still on original pump...May '08 build date...

EDIT: I did not read the whole thread....if you keep having repeated issues then yes you may have the dreaded HPFP problem....but my above statement still stands for others who have the initial limp mode....
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2010, 02:38 PM   #16
warmtoes
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrean8j View Post
'

It irritates me when people say this right off the bat....just drive the car for a few more days and see if it comes back. The ecu on the car may need to adjust for a temporary lean condition and give you the limp mode...restart the car and you will be fine many times....I have had a couple of rough idles/starts in the two years of ownership....restarted the car and have not had other problems. I honestly think many people jump the gun on the whole HPFP thing.....BTW 23k miles and still on original pump...May '08 build date...

EDIT: I did not read the whole thread....if you keep having repeated issues then yes you may have the dreaded HPFP problem....but my above statement still stands for others who have the initial limp mode....
I have no idea why it irritates you that someone else has a problem with their vehicle.

It says specifically in the manual that if you get the limp mode warning you should bring it in for service to inspect. What's wrong with that? Let's say you just keep re-starting and it clears the limp mode then something goes horribly wrong a bit later and the service guys say we see a bunch of limp mode indicators coming on before your problem occurred. Because you didn't follow the instructions in the manual the fix will not be covered by warranty.

There's always that possibility.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2010, 06:20 PM   #17
ronster
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I was just suggesting a fellow who might have a potential HPFP failure in his/hers to bring it in to check. Driving in limp mode is not fun... and sudden loss of power can be dangerous especially on highway. OP was lucky that he could pull over and restarted the car in a safe condition. It could happen again anytime anywhere... To me, car going into limp mode every once in awhile because of the ecu not being able to adjust for temporary lean condition does not sound right...

Anyway... glad to hear the OP got the car back and with the parts replaced without hassles...
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2010, 06:44 PM   #18
raisemyrent
Captain
Canada
Rep

exactly... thanks for your comments. Dietrich is running like he's new now... I wouldn't have had it towed to the dealer, as I was able to get rid of limp mode by just re-starting (gut feeling), but the manual DOES state to bring it in after that indicator shows up. So I phoned them the next day and discussed it and they recommended that I bring it in. I waited a day because I was busy with work at the time and maybe because I was in a bit of denial (because I suspected HPFP).
Fun fact, the girl that booked my appointment used to be in sales at the "other" dealership in town (not where I bought my car), then left. Not sure what she did for a few months... now I guess she is an appointment manager at the "good" dealership... which is kinda weird. She was the first one to ever show me a 1 at the auto show wayy back in 2008, and would've got the sale had she not left. She is unaware of all of this...
Anyhow, I brought it in as well because I had a leak on my headlight washer.

**Final note for everyone following the HPFP sagas: as I was reading this, I remembered, wayy back, I'm talking months and months, about 6-8, I got limp mode at the Starbuck's drive-through! While I was waiting for the best coffee around (haha), there was a line-up, so I turned off my car, and when I turned it back on, I got the limp mode indicator and groggy revs... so I instinctively turned it back off and then on again. It went away, and between having to go through the drive-through, not knowing what it was, the rarity of it, and everything else, I sort of just forgot about it. Had I had the manual in the glove box at the time, I probably would've ended up bringing it in after reading about it... perhaps a problem with the fuel mix, vapours, the moon, or HPFP was just a matter of time, who knows.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2010, 10:47 PM   #19
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135I

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
I have no idea why it irritates you that someone else has a problem with their vehicle.

It says specifically in the manual that if you get the limp mode warning you should bring it in for service to inspect. What's wrong with that? Let's say you just keep re-starting and it clears the limp mode then something goes horribly wrong a bit later and the service guys say we see a bunch of limp mode indicators coming on before your problem occurred. Because you didn't follow the instructions in the manual the fix will not be covered by warranty.

There's always that possibility.
Let me clarify a bit then....the part that is irritating is when someone says "its your HPFP....take it in and get it replaced"...many times its a possible straw man....By all means take it to the dealer or connect your BT tool and check out the codes...but lets not all start screaming HPFP!!!!!....thats all I am trying to say....
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 12:33 PM   #20
warmtoes
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrean8j View Post
Let me clarify a bit then....the part that is irritating is when someone says "its your HPFP....take it in and get it replaced"...many times its a possible straw man....By all means take it to the dealer or connect your BT tool and check out the codes...but lets not all start screaming HPFP!!!!!....thats all I am trying to say....
Okay, I get what you're saying now. I thought you were advocating not worrying about the limp mode by just re-starting it.

Saying it's automatically the HPFP is a bit chicken little. I had a previous spate of CEL's that ended up being the tank vent valve or something like that.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 01:14 PM   #21
Critical Mass
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Jerez Black M3

Garage List
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
2012 BMW X5 50i  [0.00]
I wonder if thats what happened to me (Gas tank valve etc)? I took a hard turn this morning and went into "limp mode" right after. My fuel tank was low. Engine service light came on and a yellow engine symbol appeared in the center screen. I am guilty of suspecting the hpfp and the car is at the dealership now. As a side note, and most likely mentioned elsewhere on the forum; I was informed that Borgwarner are going to supply the Rev5 HPFP's which are due out the end of the month??
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2010, 10:37 AM   #22
ronster
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Okay, I get what you're saying now. I thought you were advocating not worrying about the limp mode by just re-starting it.

Saying it's automatically the HPFP is a bit chicken little. I had a previous spate of CEL's that ended up being the tank vent valve or something like that.
I hear what u all were saying... we shouldn't jump to conclusion too quickly... awhile ago, my friend having this 1st CEL on his 335i shortly after I had HPFP replaced thought it was the HPFP failing and he told me there was no power loss or anything just the CEL... so I told him it's probably something else since I couldn't even drive mine last time in limp mode... so ended up it was some fuel valve or whatever... Thing is some x35i can have long cranks/limp mode HPFP symptoms for a long long time without the pump failing whereas some (like mine) just gave up within few hours of 1st HPFP symptom... when my car was towed to the dealer, I told my SA that I suspected it was HPFP... he thought so too but he said they have to do the diagnosis before pump can be replaced... I agreed and I would be happier if it wasn't the HPFP and I wouldn't insist to have HPFP replaced if it's not the case... anyway... again... I only suggested OP to bring it in to have it inspected given the HPFP failure symptoms... I didn't suggest him to have the pump replaced...

afterall, most (if not all) ppl getting limp mode ended up having HPFP replaced...
Appreciate 0