BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-16-2009, 08:44 AM   #1
Jaaks
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 Honda CBR600RR

Talking Hello to all

Hi all,

I'm new to the board and I just finished placing an order on a 2010 128i. Its going to be Jet Black on Coral Red with the sports package. I'm looking forward to picking it up next year.

Just thought I'd post up the deal I got and see what you guys think and hopefully it'll help someone else who is considering purchasing a 1er in the next little while.

MSRP the 2010 128i is $33,900 + Leather $1900 + Sports pkg. $1900 totalled to $37,700 MRSP. Before tax I was given $35,000. That is a $2,700 dollar discount on the car. The dealer's invoice price is $31,190 + $1750 + $1750 totalling $34,690. So essentially I'm paying Invoice + $310.

I must note that there is currently a $1,000 incentive from the manufacturer and so in essence the discount from the dealer is only $1,700. Since the Incentive program ends Feb. 1st 2010 I will be rolled over to the new incentive program that is to follow. I am hoping that the new incentive program will be larger, perhaps $1500-2000 which will mean I get a few hundred dollars more off the price.

I don't particularly feel this is a GREAT deal but I think its a decent one. I've heard some of you got $5000-7000 off which included a $2500 incentive off but that was on a 2009 model in late 2009 so I'm not sure whether or not my purchase was fair. To my it is a reasonable price for what I'm purchasing but I thought people should really take a look and make sure you know what you're paying and so long as you're comfortable with it then that's all that matters.

Anyways I'm glad to be on the forum (its been a while since I've been on the online car community) so it'll be nice to meet you guys and get to know you guys and the car better in the future.

Peace
J.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2009, 08:46 AM   #2
123D-M
Captain
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW 123d M-Sport Coupe

Garage List
Sounds ok to me. In Belgium you just pay the price of the car. Negotiating isn't really possible...
2009 123D Coupe | Sedona Red | Black Boston Leather | Brushed Aluminium Trim | Tinted Windows | M-Sport Package | 6M | Comfort Access | Heated Seats | Navigation | Park Distance Front & Rear | USB | Bluetooth | Voice Control | Efficient Dynamics | Rain & Light Sensors | Xenon Lights
My blog: http://urbanemusings.wordpress.com/
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2009, 09:03 AM   #3
Jaaks
Enlisted Member
Rep

no eh? That sucks
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2009, 09:17 AM   #4
123D-M
Captain
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW 123d M-Sport Coupe

Garage List
oh well, takes the pressure off when you're buying no haggling for a deal
2009 123D Coupe | Sedona Red | Black Boston Leather | Brushed Aluminium Trim | Tinted Windows | M-Sport Package | 6M | Comfort Access | Heated Seats | Navigation | Park Distance Front & Rear | USB | Bluetooth | Voice Control | Efficient Dynamics | Rain & Light Sensors | Xenon Lights
My blog: http://urbanemusings.wordpress.com/
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2009, 09:18 AM   #5
1HungryMan
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i

I think your deal is good, personally.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2009, 09:30 AM   #6
Jaaks
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123D-M View Post
oh well, takes the pressure off when you're buying no haggling for a deal
That's good I suppose, you'd never have to worry about whether or not you're getting gouged for the price. I'd be happy to know that actually.

1HungryMan: Ya? I hope so. I've heard that some people have gotten the Freight PDI waved but I assume that's more on cars that are on the lot.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2009, 09:34 AM   #7
1HungryMan
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaaks View Post
That's good I suppose, you'd never have to worry about whether or not you're getting gouged for the price. I'd be happy to know that actually.

1HungryMan: Ya? I hope so. I've heard that some people have gotten the Freight PDI waved but I assume that's more on cars that are on the lot.
Unless you're really attached to leather you could have saved some coin by going with the leatherette, which is actually in most cases better than the leather. Either way, all will be forgotten once you drive the car. You'll love it way beyond money.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2009, 09:42 AM   #8
Jaaks
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1HungryMan View Post
Unless you're really attached to leather you could have saved some coin by going with the leatherette, which is actually in most cases better than the leather. Either way, all will be forgotten once you drive the car. You'll love it way beyond money.
lol ya I could have saved it but I really wanted the Red seats... *droool* that was my 1 thing I MUST have... besides the sports pkg lol. I skimped out on the Premium pkg cuz I didn't find the xenon/angel eyes a must have... :P I'll just get a nice set of HIDs and call it a night.

Ya I loved the test drive. It was a very peppy and fun car to drive. I was debating about the 135i but since I also ride I don't need all that extra power cuz I can get my speed fix from the bike.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2009, 10:09 AM   #9
Jaaks
Enlisted Member
Rep

I was talking to my friend about the incentive I would like to see what your opinions are. I'm thinking that in general the Dealership "ate" my incentive of 1k whether or not it ends before I pick up the car or not. In essence I think that I should be getting the purchase price of say Invoice + $XXX and then get another $1k off for the incentive right? What do you guys think? If you agree that I should get my $1k off after I've negotiated the price then how would I go about doing it? Should I cancel my order and then place a new order with someone else? I hate the feeling of being gipped... dang money grabbers

And if I cancel what would I say?! would I get my deposit back?

Last edited by Jaaks; 12-16-2009 at 10:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2009, 11:03 AM   #10
1HungryMan
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Jaaks, did you get the car's invoice cost from Car Cost Canada or APA or something like that?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2009, 11:04 AM   #11
Jaaks
Enlisted Member
Rep

Yea, my friend did a search on one of those sites.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2009, 12:20 AM   #12
supraking
Captain
Rep
Drives: 128i Coupe 6MT

Garage List
2009 128i Coupe  [0.00]
Dealers in Canada make 8%. A $1700 discount seems about right (the $1000 incentive is for cash purchases I assume??). I got 4% + $459 fees waived + free Sherlock engraving (would have cost me $239 from elsewhere), all on a lease.

Remember though, if you're ordering and things change (incentives, etc.) you don't HAVE to take the new one, you can stick with the one that was in place when you ordered. At least that's what it was for the lease, I had to request to change the rate when it dropped lower, didn't happen automatically.

Great buy though, you're going to love it! I'm all stock + sport pkg. as well, don't regret it one second
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2009, 12:48 AM   #13
Garduna
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Sedona 1er|Yellow S3|NardoTTRS

Congrats on the new car When we setup those spring and summer meets you'll be seeing lots more 1ers haha!
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2009, 08:59 AM   #14
Jaaks
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for the warm welcome ^_^

I talked to the dealer and sorted things out so I'm happy now lol. At first they said I'd have to pay an extra $1,000 if there wasn't a new incentive plan. But they now agree that I don't have to and are willing to write it down on my contract to ensure I'm not tricked into it later lol. So all in all I did get Invoice + $310. ^_^ w00t! So with whatever incentive I get for a cash buy I'll be under Invoice price. I'm not sure if Cash incentives are the same as Lease incentives, so long as I get one I'll be happy.

Ya, I'll probably keep it stock for the most part. I'm pretty happy with the setup as it is. I don't need anything more right now.

I can't wait to see more 1ers though. Not enough of them on the roads to admire.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2009, 09:33 AM   #15
Garduna
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Not enough of them on the roads to admire.
But that is what makes our cars unique :P I wouldn't want to see the 1ers all everywhere I go. We can leave that job up to the e90 ppl haha
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2009, 04:35 PM   #16
Jaaks
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garduna View Post
But that is what makes our cars unique :P I wouldn't want to see the 1ers all everywhere I go. We can leave that job up to the e90 ppl haha
lol that is very true

though it was a pain in the butt for me to go see the car in person for the first time this year lol. I don't think I've seen a single 1er in Markham except at the dealership. Guess that's a good thing I'll be the second lol. My friend just picked one up haha.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2009, 11:10 PM   #17
supraking
Captain
Rep
Drives: 128i Coupe 6MT

Garage List
2009 128i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
I'm not sure if Cash incentives are the same as Lease incentives, so long as I get one I'll be happy.
Yup, there are usually different programs for lease, finance, and cash purchase. You should definitely check the CCC info each month until your car arrives (CCC notified me of changes to the 128i's pricing for a few months after I originally ordered the report, so you shouldn't have to keep repaying).
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2009, 02:27 PM   #18
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
So is this your first BMW? Manual or automatic? Want to hear how you ended up picking this car and what cars you chose it over!
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2009, 02:58 PM   #19
Jaaks
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by supraking View Post
Yup, there are usually different programs for lease, finance, and cash purchase. You should definitely check the CCC info each month until your car arrives (CCC notified me of changes to the 128i's pricing for a few months after I originally ordered the report, so you shouldn't have to keep repaying).
hmmm thanks, I'll definitely keep taking a look there and find out what the new incentive will be in February. I hope its a nice jump to like $2,000 since I heard something about the 2011 being released early next year. I'm not even sure if that was true. Think I read it somewhere on this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky1 View Post
So is this your first BMW? Manual or automatic? Want to hear how you ended up picking this car and what cars you chose it over!
Ya, this will be my first BMW. It will be Manual. I've previously owned 3 cars. First one was a Sentra SER Spec V. Quite a fun car, good bang for buck back when it was first introduced. I wasn't too smart back then and totalled it after 2 years. I then purchased a 1988 Honda CRX. heavily modded it, turbo charged it with with a garret t3/t4. Was a really fun car to boot around in, plenty of low end torque and high end power. I sold it since insurance was pretty rough. I then got a plain old 4 dr Civic and had that for about 6 years until selling it earlier this year. Then got a bike lol. The first two cars were both manual and only the Civic was auto.

hmmm in terms of what I was considering, there really wasn't much choice actually. I was looking for something that would be roughly $40,000 on the road. I was a bit tired of the whole Japanese import thing and thus my only options were either the VW GTI or BMW 128i. Most of the other sporty cars on the market were either Japanese or was just out of my target price range. I would have considered the Audi A4 with sportline package but that would have put me close to $50,000.

I actually really liked the 2010 GTI. Great little car, the interior is absolutely lovely, the touchscreen monitor and steering wheel are so sexy! I love that flat bottom steering wheel. The only thin I didn't like about the GTI is that it's just a well tuned sportier version of the Golf and there are too many of them on the road. If you haven't already noticed my first two cars were ones that were pretty unique. The Sentra didn't look like the original, and the CRX are rare and far between. If I want to blend in with the rest of the world I'll buy a VW GTI. If I want to stand out, the 1er was the obvious choice. But mind you in order to stand out I paid an extra $5-6k and the interior isnt as nice as the GTI lol. But I'm happy with my choice and won't regret it. I'm really looking forward to the Red interior too lol.

But next to the prestige that is synonymous with the name of BMW is the performance, more the handling than just pure power. I really like the quality of the drive in the 128i. It felt like my CRX (a tad heavier) but it felt much more controlled and more like a go-kart. I used to track a lot and though I won't track this car, I still feel the urge to take a nice cruise and boot it around a corner or two. I also chose not to get the 135i for that same reason. Although the $6k difference is worth the money, I also started biking and thus the power and rush of speed is satisfied from that and thus this will be my more calm daily driver for years to come.

edit: woops long rant lol, Just wanted to add, I'd love to go on some nice cruises with you guys in the summer time. Looking forward to those nice scenic yet spirited drives I used to have with my old clubs.

Last edited by Jaaks; 12-21-2009 at 03:03 PM.. Reason: adding something
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2009, 09:31 AM   #20
Garduna
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

for sure man, spring summer is when we usually try to do some meets. no point right now.... soo cold!
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2009, 08:52 AM   #21
Jaaks
Enlisted Member
Rep

lol for sure, too cold right now to do anything except get a hot cup of something and just relax at home. I want my car! >.< Can't believe I have to wait until March.... oh well at least I'll miss most of the snow.
Appreciate 0