XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

11-24-2009, 07:33 PM   #1
Mich M
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White X6 35i

Garage List
2009 X6 35i  [0.00]
Anyone having allignment fron wheel problems??

Yesterday I had my snow shoes put on my 35i, when they pulled off my run flats the tire guys said I likely have a front end allignment issue since for only 5000 miles my front tires are chewed up and "cupping" I havent felt anything that would suggest an allignment prob the only thing I did notice last week was some noise going downhill. The dealer tried to get me to pay for an allignment today...needless to say I am ticked off since I have only driven this car 2000 miles--the dealers wife drove it prior to me buying it with 2700 miles on it. I left the dealer today and made my husband call an argue. I think they are going to take care of the issue (they better) I have to go back tmrw. Has anmyone else had this prob???
Yes I live in Ohio but I do mainly highway driving and there was no sign of an allignment problem because of course I would have taken it in.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2009, 11:22 PM   #2
watoowatoo
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 35i X6

Same thing actually happened to me. One of the tires in the front is worn out unevenly. I have 20000km on the car but I had the dealer check my car at least twice after every 7000km but they never mentioned anything about this.
I took it to the dealer last week and they said I need to buy new tire to do the alignment properly! I have 20" Dunlope and it is expensive. So I said no till I get my winter tires on.

Someone at a tire shop told me it is unacceptable for the car and tire to be like that after just 20000km.
My question is: Should I bring the car back to the dealer and demand new tire + alignment from them? Is it mentioned in the manual that I had to do alignment and I didn't?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2009, 06:11 AM   #3
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich M View Post
Yesterday I had my snow shoes put on my 35i, when they pulled off my run flats the tire guys said I likely have a front end allignment issue since for only 5000 miles my front tires are chewed up and "cupping" I havent felt anything that would suggest an allignment prob the only thing I did notice last week was some noise going downhill. The dealer tried to get me to pay for an allignment today...needless to say I am ticked off since I have only driven this car 2000 miles--the dealers wife drove it prior to me buying it with 2700 miles on it. I left the dealer today and made my husband call an argue. I think they are going to take care of the issue (they better) I have to go back tmrw. Has anmyone else had this prob???
Yes I live in Ohio but I do mainly highway driving and there was no sign of an allignment problem because of course I would have taken it in.

My dad was a car salesman years back and told me a story about a dealer's wife who every couple of months picked out a new car, used it for a while and got a new one, etc. When I read your post my first thought was maybe this dealer's wife has habit of running into curbs with the new cars.

But. . . even though it's possible that the problem is alignment issue, if your SA properly described the problem as "cupping", it's more likely that you have a damaged or defective shock absorber (or other suspension part). See the first couple of pics and the description I grabbed off the net. The other two show typical symptoms of a bad alignment.

The last pics are for actual common alignments problems.

Attached Images

Last edited by teagueAMX; 11-25-2009 at 07:42 AM..
Appreciate 0