BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-12-2009, 09:13 PM   #1
ndlesswaltz
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 128i

recommendation on winter tire for 128?

I am thinking using tirerack to get my first winter tire ever.

Since we have no spare tire, I was looking for Run flat winter tire.

Do you have any recommendation?
I've called tire rack and they recommended high end tire, but I guess they have better margin on them.

Please let me know, if you could share your past experience and review on them that will be the best.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2009, 09:27 PM   #2
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Pirelli 240 Sottozero RFT. This is what I ran on my 18"s last year. Although they do make a 17" fitment. Its the best RFT tire ive ever owned...by a wide margin.

Appreciate 0
      09-13-2009, 02:36 AM   #3
supraking
Captain
Rep
Drives: 128i Coupe 6MT

Garage List
2009 128i Coupe  [0.00]
Or you could just get a CAA membership and have them come and tow you if you ever blow out a tire. Let's face it, the chances of blowing out a tire in the winter are probably lower than in summer (right guys?), whereas rim damage or more serious damage to your car is probably more likely (sliding into a median, not seeing a curb, etc.).

In my opinion, I'd look for the best winter tire and not limit yourself to runflats. And make sure you get 17" rims if you're on 18's right now. The Sport Editions from Tire Rack are nice, talk to Gill to see what'll fit!
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2009, 11:58 AM   #4
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by supraking View Post
Or you could just get a CAA membership and have them come and tow you if you ever blow out a tire. Let's face it, the chances of blowing out a tire in the winter are probably lower than in summer (right guys?), whereas rim damage or more serious damage to your car is probably more likely (sliding into a median, not seeing a curb, etc.).

In my opinion, I'd look for the best winter tire and not limit yourself to runflats. And make sure you get 17" rims if you're on 18's right now. The Sport Editions from Tire Rack are nice, talk to Gill to see what'll fit!
The only thing with relying on a CAA membership and towing is that if you have a blow out on a particularly wintery day you could be waiting hours for a truck as they will be towing cars left and right. That might be a consideration. Also I think with the yearly membership you have to get two or more tows a year at least for it to pay for itself. I am considering the option but might wait until I replace my summer RFTs as well.

The other option is to go with non-RFT winter tires and get a puncture repair kit. There is a thread on it at E90post here: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108484. The Conti Repair kit is neat and can be plugged into the cigarette lighter. Here is a flash demo on how it works. Looks simple! http://www.conticomfortkit.co.uk/ As long as it can be operated at very frigid temperatures it looks even easier than swapping out a spare.

So if you don't want to have to get out of your car and have to blow up a punctured tire or wait for a tow I'd go with the RFTs. It's more $$$ if they blow out, they may wear faster and be noisier but some people might feel more secure with them. Personally I will be getting non-RFTs with the kit because I read that the compound Bridgestone uses on their LM series tires does not provide the same level of traction in ice/deep snow that their WS series does.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2009, 12:13 PM   #5
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by supraking View Post

Ive said this many times before but I keep getting ignored. Pirelli rft tech works. I hit several potholes during the winter and no rim/tire damage occured.

And actually I would assume just the opposite. I would say that you are more likely to experience tire failure in the winter for the exact same reasons that you quoted.

Appreciate 0
      09-13-2009, 01:37 PM   #6
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
Ive said this many times before but I keep getting ignored. Pirelli rft tech works. I hit several potholes during the winter and no rim/tire damage occured.
Sorry, don't recall coming across one of your posts on the subject. Are you referring to a specific make of run flat that Pirelli makes as being superior to others? Certainly it is not impervious to hitting nails, glass or anything else of the sort? Do they make a winter RFT that has the same level of traction as a Blizzak or X-Ice Xi2?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2009, 11:22 AM   #7
ndlesswaltz
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 128i

I am looking for the reference number for the discount at tire rack or they negotiate the price with you if you call?

I am between RFT and non RFT, but since I am on highway a lot I don't think it is good idea to take a chance waiting for CAA when it is -30 or -40.

Also I don't mind 16" let me know if 17 or 18 is better than 16 for some reason.

Thank you guys for your thoughts!
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2009, 12:10 PM   #8
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky1 View Post
Sorry, don't recall coming across one of your posts on the subject. Are you referring to a specific make of run flat that Pirelli makes as being superior to others? Certainly it is not impervious to hitting nails, glass or anything else of the sort? Do they make a winter RFT that has the same level of traction as a Blizzak or X-Ice Xi2?
I have not drivien in a car with Blizzacks. I can speak from my own experience with my Pirellis.

I got stuck at a friends house during a winter snow storm last february. I drove my 135i home on unplowed roads just after a .5 meter snowstorm at about 3 am. The whole trip home was about 25 Km and the 135i performed like a champ with DTC engaged. I was being followed by a jeep liberty and I took a highway exit ramp at about 30 Km/h and he tried to take the turn at the same speed and slid off the road (that moment will always stand out in my mind.

I was on 225/40 R18 and 255/35 R18 Pirelli 240 Sottozero winter performance rfts last year. The ride was noticably smoother than on the bridgestones and I can attest to hitting several car shakers of potholes with these tires and they didnt bubble or bend.

Also Pirelli Customer service is fantastic, as they actually enforce their warrenty. I had a defective rft that bubbled in 4 spots less than a week after mounting it. Got rembursed after 3 days and havent had an issue since.

If winter performance isnt your thing Pirelli also makes the 240 SnowSport rft which uses the same tech and tread compunds as my tires, but has a tread that is less sporty, but better in the snow.

and ndless that was exactly my reasoning for going with rfts in the winter.

Appreciate 0
      09-16-2009, 05:19 PM   #9
E93_M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e93 M3

i think i have a few sets of RFT in the warehouse but gotta check size
but duno if you guys will be interested
PM if interested
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2009, 05:55 PM   #10
jkp1187
Unindicted co-conspirator
United_States
Rep
Drives: to work, mostly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
I have not drivien in a car with Blizzacks. I can speak from my own experience with my Pirellis.

I got stuck at a friends house during a winter snow storm last february. I drove my 135i home on unplowed roads just after a .5 meter snowstorm at about 3 am. The whole trip home was about 25 Km and the 135i performed like a champ with DTC engaged. I was being followed by a jeep liberty and I took a highway exit ramp at about 30 Km/h and he tried to take the turn at the same speed and slid off the road (that moment will always stand out in my mind.
Hope everyone was okay. That's why I tell anyone who'll listen that it's safer to have a nimble car that can handle well over a big honkin' SUV. They really aren't that safe, because they don't give you a chance to avoid the accident in the first place.

Quote:
I was on 225/40 R18 and 255/35 R18 Pirelli 240 Sottozero winter performance rfts last year. The ride was noticably smoother than on the bridgestones and I can attest to hitting several car shakers of potholes with these tires and they didnt bubble or bend.

Also Pirelli Customer service is fantastic, as they actually enforce their warrenty. I had a defective rft that bubbled in 4 spots less than a week after mounting it. Got rembursed after 3 days and havent had an issue since.

If winter performance isnt your thing Pirelli also makes the 240 SnowSport rft which uses the same tech and tread compunds as my tires, but has a tread that is less sporty, but better in the snow.

and ndless that was exactly my reasoning for going with rfts in the winter.
I ended up going with Blizzaks LM-25s 215/45-17 non-RFTs installed on their own wheels, just because they were cheaper, had good reviews, and b/c I am still on the fence over whether or not I wanted to keep the RFTs long-term.

I have to admit - I like the idea of RFTs, I just wish there was space for a spare in the back anyway for longer trips. I had a flat tire once while on a weekend trip, ran over a huge hunk of metal. Put the space saver spare on, enjoyed the rest of my weekend, then stopped off for an hour at a Goodyear tire store on Sunday on the way home and had a new tire installed. I understand not that many places carry RFTs, and some may not be able to install them, so they're a mixed blessing if you're away from your home base.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2009, 07:49 PM   #11
shawn13
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G35

I suggest Hankook W409 iPikes on 17s...

#1 rated tire on 1010tires... almost the most reviews and averaged 4.5/5.

Studdable too if youre able to get them north of Muskoka!
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2009, 09:42 PM   #12
E93_M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e93 M3

Hey guys i stil have 20 pieces of 205/50/17 Hancook Ipike in stock going for $155 cash
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2009, 04:16 PM   #13
supraking
Captain
Rep
Drives: 128i Coupe 6MT

Garage List
2009 128i Coupe  [0.00]
CAA doesn't send their own tow truck when you're in remote areas, they contract with local suppliers. If you're an hour out of the city, you won't wait for a CAA guy from the city to come find you.

And let's say you've got your RFT's on, it's Sunday night and snowing and you're out in the farmlands. You blow out a tire and have to find a mechanic to fix you up? Good luck, you're calling CAA or a tow truck one way or another.

Each option has its own advantages and disadvantages. All I'm saying is I'd rather be able to rely on someone to come get me anywhere at any time for any reason, rather than depending on my above-average tires (because I'm sure the Pirelli's are excellent winter tires regardless) to get me to safety. CAA makes sense for more than just a blown out tire, so there are additional benefits that aren't directly related to this discussion (like locking your keys in your trunk ).
Appreciate 0