BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

08-29-2009, 09:27 AM   #1
jeff4598
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C HS, DCT, much Dinan

Dinan Stage 2

Jsut came home with my 2009 e90 with Stage 2 suspension and flash,intake and exhaust(covered in engine mod forum)

Impressions:

My bias is for FEEL rather than ultimate potential so please take comments in that context-I used to drive EDC in sport cause I could'nt tolerate nonlinear feel and initial turn-in body lean despite sacrifice in ultimate handiling that was explained by forum memebers.

Now very happy in EDC "normal" I feel ride is firmer this way than pre-mod sport setting but key is that there is very little body lean and very little dive on braking this way and I get the upside of adjustability in "normal" mode. Some major road imperfections seems to cause bottoming where they would not have before but this is around town only-highway ride is great.

Steering is more direct and "serious" feeling- much firmer steering feel-like triple servotronic sport- slightly heavy on slow 90 dgree turns but appropriate to sports sedan IMO.

Even with sway bar I would like car to be a bit flatter in turns but it is alot better than stock. I wonder re fitting bigger e93 rear sway bar. Any thoghts?

Now good and bad/well great and kinda annoying:

I only did one exit ramp and one curvy road but this car is TRANSFORMED- I loved the increase in FEEL and instead of braking I just stayed on the gas with no sense of any limit-I'd have to drive a 911 back to back to say wich has higher limits but what I know for sure is that the 911 I drove did not FEEL anywhere near this good.

The annoying: my service guy warned me increades camber would make car sensitive to lateral road imperfections and indeed on multi-laned roads where the crowning makes the left lane go downhill to the left and the rt to the rt I have to apply constant preasure the other way to go straight and in center lane of 3 lanes you have to go back and forth if you stray from the absolute highest point-this could be tiresome on long trips(both mentaly and physicaly). I worry re reaction to snow ruts in winter. Does this sound normal to people or copuld I have a problem?

Appreciate 0
      08-29-2009, 09:38 AM   #2
JJM335
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff4598 View Post

The annoying: my service guy warned me increades camber would make car sensitive to lateral road imperfections and indeed on multi-laned roads where the crowning makes the left lane go downhill to the left and the rt to the rt I have to apply constant preasure the other way to go straight and in center lane of 3 lanes you have to go back and forth if you stray from the absolute highest point-this could be tiresome on long trips(both mentaly and physicaly). I worry re reaction to snow ruts in winter. Does this sound normal to people or copuld I have a problem?

This is normal for a car with lots of neg camber up front. The usual description is that a car gets "pointy" the more camber you add. Also, through the adjustment range a car will (generally) move from understeer to neutral to snap oversteer.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2009, 11:26 AM   #3
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:

Not sure if I get this. Stage 2 suspension does not include camber plates. What front camber are you currently running exactly? I have the camber plates and the springs (no bar swap) and I have had no such issues (I'm running -1.95, which is pretty much the maximum you can get with the Dinan setup).
      08-29-2009, 02:53 PM   #4
jeff4598
Captain
Rep

CAMBER

was not given camber #'s it is set to Dinan spec. It may relate to sway bar-it makes steering VERY tight-so much that the lighter effort steering setting is now much harder than the higher effort used to be- and as I said the firm setting feels realy intense like it's hardly power steering at speed.(but not much worse at low speed so parking is ok if you go to the gym)- so maybe enough play is taken out of the system that it doesnt absorb small continuous force to the side. Feeling is that handling is neutal but I think it felt even better with weight of removed components in trunk.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2009, 03:58 PM   #5
datbimmerdoe
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: like I'M BOUT THAT LIFE

Great info! thanks

FOLLOW @datbimmerdoe on INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2009, 06:20 PM   #6
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 Golf R

Quote:

While the increased negative camber almost certainly plays a role, I suspect the real culprit here is the stiffer front sway bar. Your front wheels are now moving less independently, so when one wheel is riding lower than the other, it's likely pulling the higher wheel with it. Based on your change in steering feel, which is definitely due to the new bar, the stiffer bar is clearly having a significant impact on your setup.
      08-29-2009, 06:42 PM   #7
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
was not given camber #'s it is set to Dinan spec. It may relate to sway bar-it makes steering VERY tight-so much that the lighter effort steering setting is now much harder than the higher effort used to be- and as I said the firm setting feels realy intense like it's hardly power steering at speed.(but not much worse at low speed so parking is ok if you go to the gym)- so maybe enough play is taken out of the system that it doesnt absorb small continuous force to the side. Feeling is that handling is neutal but I think it felt even better with weight of removed components in trunk.
I would ask them to provide you with the alignment specs. He is talking about increased camber, but you don't even have camber plates, and the stock camber adjustment range is limited, so that's puzzling. Also, toe settings can be causing some of what you are describing. What is your toe set to?
      08-29-2009, 06:53 PM   #8
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
I would ask them to provide you with the alignment specs. He is talking about increased camber, but you don't even have camber plates, and the stock camber adjustment range is limited, so that's puzzling. Also, toe settings can be causing some of what you are describing. What is your toe set to?
Yep, and I doubt the BMW dealer will pull the alignment pins.
      08-29-2009, 06:59 PM   #9
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
It looks like Dinan's alignment specs do in fact call for non-0 toe settings. Not sure if it's enough to make a big difference though.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5637154
      08-30-2009, 09:46 AM   #10
jeff4598
Captain
Rep

sways

The car feels very stable and neutral to me- I think it's the sway bars- I have gone to the non-sport servtronic setting to reduce steering effort- but let me be clear overall I like it alot-it realy is like another car MUCH sportier feel -sort of like what I imagine a VIPER feels like-stiff, tough but very capable and agile. I am accelerating on curves were I would coast or brake and am very relaxed doing so.

My wife's comment after dinner out trip: "You don't seem like you are working as hard to drive the car." {flash and resultant throttle linearity helps alot here- I feel like a smoother driver} My way of understanding it is that the control is very direct like riding a bicycle- I just think it and the car does it and no further adjustment is needed- perhaps the most remarkable attribute is that it holds a set in a sweeper FOREVER with no little inputs needed- it's just locked in.

If I had to choose 2 mods I think it's the flash and the sway that do the most for me.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2009, 11:11 AM   #11
TOOMANYCARS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Nice, how much was the total? Parts + labor.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2009, 12:18 PM   #12
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLud View Post
It looks like Dinan's alignment specs do in fact call for non-0 toe settings. Not sure if it's enough to make a big difference though.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5637154
Yes, I have 0 toe up front as well. No issues.
      08-30-2009, 01:30 PM   #13
jeff4598
Captain
Rep

total $

For intale,exhaust,flash,springs and sway bar~$6200 I think `$2300 for just suspension work. I'd say the car is 30% better for circa 9% additional cost and considering law of diminishing returns thats outstanding.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2009, 01:21 AM   #14
doba_s
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7 l Cayenne l 997.2RS

isn't e93 sway bars are the same size as Dinan bars ?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2009, 09:32 AM   #15
CSanto
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BSM/SO M3

Awesome! Thanks for the review!
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2009, 11:00 AM   #16
jeff4598
Captain
Rep

Question e93 sway bar

Dinan only makes a FRONT sway bar-my understanding is that the e93 REAR bar is bigger than the one in my e90 and therefore an "upgrade"-I am not expert enough to speculate on its likey effect.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2009, 12:38 PM   #17
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

Quote:
My bias is for FEEL rather than ultimate potential so please take comments in that context-I used to drive EDC in sport cause I could'nt tolerate nonlinear feel and initial turn-in body lean despite sacrifice in ultimate handiling that was explained by forum memebers.

Now very happy in EDC "normal" I feel ride is firmer this way than pre-mod sport setting but key is that there is very little body lean and very little dive on braking this way and I get the upside of adjustability in "normal" mode. Some major road imperfections seems to cause bottoming where they would not have before but this is around town only-highway ride is great.
Excuse my ignorance, I haven't done much research about Dinan offerings. Do you keep your stock (EDC) shocks or do they have a replacement for EDC dampers?

Quote:
Steering is more direct and "serious" feeling- much firmer steering feel-like triple servotronic sport- slightly heavy on slow 90 dgree turns but appropriate to sports sedan IMO.

Even with sway bar I would like car to be a bit flatter in turns but it is alot better than stock. I wonder re fitting bigger e93 rear sway bar. Any thoghts?
So, just the front sways were upgraded, or both?

Quote:
Now good and bad/well great and kinda annoying:

I only did one exit ramp and one curvy road but this car is TRANSFORMED- I loved the increase in FEEL and instead of braking I just stayed on the gas with no sense of any limit-I'd have to drive a 911 back to back to say wich has higher limits but what I know for sure is that the 911 I drove did not FEEL anywhere near this good.
That's saying a lot!

Quote:

Snow ruts in winter? Don't drive the M3 in snow. Get a beater or a 4WD for winter. Seriously.