BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

BPM

08-24-2009, 07:05 AM   #1
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

Reset Brake Warnings?

The warning for brake life remaining is on my I-drive.The brake sensors have never been activated,but I am on my 4th pad change.Is there a way to reset the warning without having to get it reset at the dealer?

Last edited by Gearhead999s; 08-24-2009 at 09:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2009, 08:41 AM   #2
gr8000
Major
Greece
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 - DCT

As far as I am aware this can be done with the Bavarian Technic (BT) OBD reader software. I do not own it thus havent tried myself but reading the manual and their site I am pretty positive you can do it. BT owners will be able to confirm.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2009, 12:50 AM   #3
KrazyM3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW M3

PROCEDURE TO VIEW OR RESET SERVICE ITEMS IN THE INSTRUMENT CLUSTER E90, E91, E92, E60, E61, E63 AND E64 (includes M models)

Turn ignition to Terminal 15. (key on engine off )
Press and hold the Instrument Cluster Set/Reset button for 10 seconds.
The upper display in the Instrument Cluster will be illuminated with a Service Item (example: An oil can is the designation for Oil Service). The lower display in the Instrument Cluster will indicate the remaining time or mileage left for that Service Item (example: 14000). Pressing the button repeatedly will allow the display to scroll through all of the Condition Based Service Items.
Press and hold the Instrument Cluster Set/Reset button again and the lower display screen will indicate "OK" or "DUE".
Pressing the Instrument Cluster Set/Reset button again will allow the "RESET" to appear in the lower window for that service. Releasing and reapplying the button one more time will reset the service displayed in the upper window only. Repeat the procedure for any additional service reset needs.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2009, 08:11 AM   #4
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyM3 View Post
PROCEDURE TO VIEW OR RESET SERVICE ITEMS IN THE INSTRUMENT CLUSTER E90, E91, E92, E60, E61, E63 AND E64 (includes M models)

Turn ignition to Terminal 15. (key on engine off )
Press and hold the Instrument Cluster Set/Reset button for 10 seconds.
The upper display in the Instrument Cluster will be illuminated with a Service Item (example: An oil can is the designation for Oil Service). The lower display in the Instrument Cluster will indicate the remaining time or mileage left for that Service Item (example: 14000). Pressing the button repeatedly will allow the display to scroll through all of the Condition Based Service Items.
Press and hold the Instrument Cluster Set/Reset button again and the lower display screen will indicate "OK" or "DUE".
Pressing the Instrument Cluster Set/Reset button again will allow the "RESET" to appear in the lower window for that service. Releasing and reapplying the button one more time will reset the service displayed in the upper window only. Repeat the procedure for any additional service reset needs.
Thanks I will try that.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2009, 08:38 AM   #5
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep

It worked but with a different technique than described by Krazy M3

My car does have i-Drive so maybe its different.

hold the reset button as described for 10 seconds

use the bc button on the end of the turn signal stack to call up the reset.Hold the button down till it scrolls up the milege on the display screen on the I -Drive and you are done.I did this for both my front & rear pads and it now indicates 18000 for the front & 32000 for the rear.Thanks again!

Last edited by Gearhead999s; 08-28-2009 at 09:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2009, 10:38 AM   #6
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s View Post
It worked but with a different technique than described by Krazy M3
Great info. Hey, could you elaborate on the technique a little please ?

- Hold cluster button for 10 seconds until first service item shows up. Same thing.
- Now, how do you choose front and rear pads? Rapidly click the cluster button to go down the list of CBS options, or use the OBC button at the end of the stalk?
- Once you have the appropriate service, then you press the OBC button at the end of the stalk for 10 seconds until reset, correct?

And where do you put the iDrive before starting this? On the service window, or does it turn on by itself? Thanks man. Sorry for the questions, but it's VERY important to get this right, especially under warranty. Don't want to reset something else by mistake . Take care.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2009, 11:21 AM   #7
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep

[QUOTE=elp_jc;5773465]Great info. Hey, could you elaborate on the technique a little please ?

Quote:
Hold cluster button for 10 seconds until first service item shows up. Same thing.
- Yep same thing

-
Quote:
Now, how do you choose front and rear pads? Rapidly click the cluster button to go down the list of CBS options, or use the OBC button at the end of the stalk?
It only took me to the front pads first which I reset by the BC button on the stalk and then it called up the rear pads.
Quote:
Once you have the appropriate service, then you press the OBC button at the end of the stalk for 10 seconds until reset, correct?
-

You hold it till the clock goes out and you are done.

Quote:
And where do you put the iDrive before starting this? On the service window, or does it turn on by itself? Thanks man. Sorry for the questions, but it's VERY important to get this right, especially under warranty. Don't want to reset something else by mistake . Take care
I dont think that has any bearing on reseting the brake service indicator,but the readout on the I-Drive screen rolled up as the timer reset.
Appreciate 0