BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

EXXEL Distributions

06-02-2009, 10:19 AM   #1
TTBear
Captain
Rep
Drives: '20 Huracán/'19 M2Comp/'23 X4M

How much extra toe after coilover install?

Thanks, everyone.

I had KW V3s installed prior to taking delivery of my M3 (mostly due to the fact that the dealer neglected to order EDC on my car.....)

I love them. Have yet to get on the autocross course (had to take my wife's Z4 M Roadster out this past weekend, because the M3 was stuck up on the lift.... don't ask )

My question is this - I am booked for an alignment on the M3, and I am fairly certain that my dealer will have no clue when I ask them to introduce a little bit of extra toe in, to avoid excess inner tire edge wear.

Does anyone have numbers that I can give them, so I can say "please just set it to..... XXXX"? I'm pretty well sure that they will just say "we can set the suspension to factory specs only..."

I'll be swapping back to the OEM 18s for track purposes.

Thanks so much. You guys haven't let me down yet
      06-03-2009, 01:01 AM   #2
m3larson
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Gran C 1997 M3 Track C

Would like to know also so I am subscribing to this thread.
      06-03-2009, 02:14 PM   #3
IND-Distribution
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: G82 M4 / G87 M2

Allan, are you planning on experimenting with settings several times, or trying just one setting once?

What tire sizes do you think you might run for the track? Will you be running a relatively square setup?

Your ride height will also determine what equipment you need to align the car. E9x M3s that have been lowered past a certain point will no longer have enough rear toe adjustment range to allow for a proper alignment.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2009, 09:37 PM   #4
TTBear
Captain
Rep
Drives: '20 Huracán/'19 M2Comp/'23 X4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilia@IND View Post
Allan, are you planning on experimenting with settings several times, or trying just one setting once?

What tire sizes do you think you might run for the track? Will you be running a relatively square setup?

Your ride height will also determine what equipment you need to align the car. E9x M3s that have been lowered past a certain point will no longer have enough rear toe adjustment range to allow for a proper alignment.
Thanks, Ilia!

To answer your questions:

-I will leave the drop the same - I've dialled in a modest drop only - probably 5/8" at the front, and 3/4" at the rear. I'll only be playing with the rebound and compression settings (if even!). The height is set, and won't change.

-Tire sizes: When I get through the OEM rubber that's on the stock 18s, I am thinking I will go plus one, with 255 front, 275 rear. Considering something along the lines of Nitto NT-01 tires, for autocross, almost exclusively.

Hope this info is sufficient so you can answer my query.

Thanks so much!!!
      06-03-2009, 11:59 PM   #5
rzm3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

The BMW spec sets a range for toe setting. Therefore, if you want more toe in, just ask the tech to set it to the most positive factory rec'd toe angle.

More here: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192175
Appreciate 0