BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-29-2009, 02:06 PM   #1
kb2dhg
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i

Question how dificult is it to figure out how to use this car?

OK, I am still waiting for my 128and while waiting I am brousing the on line owners manule...
I am not too good at these computer based things and am getting a bit worried that this car has way too much computer baised bells and whistles. It seems like an awfull lot to do to check the oil and go through all these menues just to operate this car.
I am getting over welmed and was wondering just how hard it is getting used to using and navagating the controls of this car?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2009, 02:46 PM   #2
vividracing
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, F30 335i, F80 M3

Did you order nav?

Also, how old are you?
This isn't anything negative - but will provide a realistic gauge at how comfortable you are with computer based controls.
PM, Email, or Call Directly for aggressive BMW Member Pricing
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2009, 02:56 PM   #3
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
Unless you have the I-drive, it's only as involving as you want it to be. I don't have the I-drive and for the most part there are only small number of controls I use on a regular basis. Everything else stays in the default mode. Lights, wipers, climate control, setting radio pre-sets and using an i-pod. That's about all I use.
      05-29-2009, 03:05 PM   #4
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Your delivery specialst should spend an hour or so with you going over all the controls. You have the advantage of reading the manual and a lot of posts on this forum before going in.

My last BMW was a 1983 320i - with no computer controls at all, and I didn't find it overwhelming to step into a 135i. I also didn't get a lot of control options, just PDC.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2009, 04:34 PM   #5
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

You might also want to watch the videos on the BMW NA website. Sometimes it's more informative to see how something works instead of reading about it.

I drive a bunch of rental cars and my pet peeve is window controls in the center (PT cruiser, Suzuki XL7). It's one of the first things I need (to get out of the parking lot you have to show your rental agreement to the guard) so when it is hard to locate it is a pain. Most cars these days work similarly. The first time I rented an Avalon it threw me, however. It was a keyless entry and started up when I walked up. But with the motor running, the trunk wouldn't open so I could get my bag in. An then there was the Buick with no key entry to the trunk and no remote (if you hold the door open control long enough inside the car, the trunk opens if I remember right). Nothing like that I've noticed on the BMW. The Avalon had rain sensing wipers which I thought was not as big a deal as I found it to be (they are really nice in inconsistent and light rain).

I only have test drive experience, which I assume you have, but the BMW seemed pretty straight forward. Turn signals being a momentary switch is a little different but the control was in the normal place. Cruise is a little different but all I had to do was push it forward and it was set. My other cars it is a two step, turn it on then set it process. I didn't mess with the radio and I'm sure that will be "fun" the first time but the video suggests it works pretty typically. The key seemed odd to me at first but with 3 test drives I think I can manage that part. I had to get the CA to show me how the gas door worked (I was just curious) but it is programable but you probably won't need to. It should come set so that if the drivers door is unlocked you just tap the door in back and it opens. And there is a holder for the cap when it is off (I think that's cool). Not needing a rag to check oil seems OK - even if it involves using a computer. My son and I had to move the seats down to sit with the top up on the last test drive but we found the control OK (while driving). He found it first, however. I needed the wipers on my second test drive and the CA told me how they work and it is really easy (one button to push to activate).

BMWs seem straight forward, at least relative to some others I've driven. The only other time I've driven one was years ago and a friends used one. With no instruction I did fine (as I normally do with rentals).

Jim
      05-29-2009, 06:06 PM   #6
1013mm
aka 1013MM
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: pokingly flush

Garage List
2009 135i  [8.26]
try driving a benz with prem pack... youll get lost in your own car... all you do with this car is sit, plug in keep step on brake press ignition button and go..
      05-29-2009, 08:48 PM   #7
cagekicker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 crimson red 135i

ha ha i know what you mean. don't let that scare you, you'll get used to it after a couple of days.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2009, 09:48 AM   #8
Excitmnt94
Detailer & Fitness Freak
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 135i ///M Sport Coupe

when you take delivery of the car, be sure to ask questions. if you want to know what something does just ask your CA. they are there for you.

and...if you have issues down the road, just post them up. we will help you out.

Appreciate 0
      05-30-2009, 09:51 AM   #9
kb2dhg
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i

Thanks for all the replys. Yea I am sure I will figure it out BUT it just seems like a lot of distractions at first.
And to the person that asked I am 50 years old BUT not an idiot! I am a Mechanical engineer.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2009, 09:40 PM   #10
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '16 MK7 GTI

My 135i confused me a little bit at first, but after reading the manuals and messing with the settings to make it the way I want (3 blink partial turn signal is something I would hate to live without now!) I can't go back to driving anything else! My 06 Civic Si just sits there collecting dust pretty much....