BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-23-2008, 05:11 AM   #1
cuizhuoyi01
EVO
Rep
Drives:

what is the safest or best way to put a spacer?

what is the best way to do the spacer??

HR spacer + longer wheel lug bolt?

HR spacer + TMS 75mm or 90mm wheel stud + wheel nut?

does tha dry lube stud better than the normal one?

which long wheel stud should be good for our car?

what is hubcentric ring? do i need this to ensure the safety?

I'm a noob about spacer. please give some suggestion. thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2008, 07:43 PM   #2
pkcormier
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

Bolts or studs should provide the same fastening strength. Studs are just more convenient if your change wheels often. It is easier to slide a wheel on the studs than to try and line up the holes and insert the bolt. Just ensure that you have a minimum of 6 complete turns on either the bolt or nut. I don't know about the dry lube stud, I just use the plain jane variety. Get some lock-tight if you go with the studs. Your spacers must be hubcentric. Otherwise you will have some play between the hub and wheel and you will never get it mounted correctly. This will result in vibration since the wheel is not centered. You'll hop down the road. If you are getting spacers from Turner Motorsports they should be hubcentric since they specialize in bmw. Some 5mm spacers do not have enough material (not thick enough) to be hubcentric. I bought 5mm from Vorshlag and got a little vibration. Moved to 10mm Vorshlag and they are perfect.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2008, 10:32 PM   #3
cuizhuoyi01
EVO
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkcormier View Post
Bolts or studs should provide the same fastening strength. Studs are just more convenient if your change wheels often. It is easier to slide a wheel on the studs than to try and line up the holes and insert the bolt. Just ensure that you have a minimum of 6 complete turns on either the bolt or nut. I don't know about the dry lube stud, I just use the plain jane variety. Get some lock-tight if you go with the studs. Your spacers must be hubcentric. Otherwise you will have some play between the hub and wheel and you will never get it mounted correctly. This will result in vibration since the wheel is not centered. You'll hop down the road. If you are getting spacers from Turner Motorsports they should be hubcentric since they specialize in bmw. Some 5mm spacers do not have enough material (not thick enough) to be hubcentric. I bought 5mm from Vorshlag and got a little vibration. Moved to 10mm Vorshlag and they are perfect.
thank you

but for 10mm spacer which long stud should be good? 75mm?90mm??

does hubcentric spacer mean same as hubcentric ring?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2008, 11:09 PM   #4
pkcormier
Private First Class
Rep

Honestly I don't recall what length I used for 10mm. I think 75mm should do the trick but you can always go longer. Nothing wrong with 90mm, you'll just have the stud extending beyond the end of the nut. TMS will be able to tell you. I think it is even on their website. If not, try Vorshlag at http://www.vorshlag.com/ A hubcentric ring is a thin ring of metal that you place around the hub, then mount the wheel over it. Often times a mass producer of wheels will make a wheel with a large hole so it can fit over the hubs of many makes of cars. Then they sell you a "cheap to produce" ring to essentially fill in the gap between the hub and the wheel so that it fits snug around the hub. A hubcentric spacer, on the other hand, has a hub extention (like a lip) already built into the spacer. It is one piece, usually manufactured from billet aluminum. It is recommended, however, that you buy wheels that are made for your BMW and are already hubcentric. Don't rely on hubcentric rings or even a hubcentric spacer to perform well. Just the slightest gap and you'll have vibration. The Breyton's are a perfect fit for a BMW.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2008, 01:35 AM   #5
cuizhuoyi01
EVO
Rep
Drives:

really helpful

thanks mate!
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2008, 09:53 AM   #6
pkcormier
Private First Class
Rep

You're welcome. Pic of Breytons in action. 245's on all four corners with 10mm spacers up front.

http://www.hart-photography.com/phot...ewImage=522335
Appreciate 0