BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-16-2008, 08:27 AM   #1
AlBel1214
Major
Rep
Drives: past 135i, now c6, future M3??

max HP without a tune

Anyone have a guestimate of the MAX HP you could get without a tune like (dinan, jb3, or SSTT)...

Maybe just an exhaust, new intake, downpipes?

Or any other mods that don't involve touching the ECU..
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2008, 08:32 AM   #2
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Intake, intercooler, DPs, catback will likely get you an additional 30hp or so (wild guess). The car would not be optimized though, without a corresponding tune, IMO, even if it were a mild tune.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2008, 08:43 AM   #3
Yearofthe1
An ex-addict :-(
Rep
Drives: VFR1200F

This is actually the exact route I'm going with for my 1er. I want to save any ecu tuning for last, only if I feel I need it after I'm done with everything else will I consider this route. I can't think of too many other ways to boost power than a good set of DP's, less restrictive exhaust, and a better flowing filter. I'm not so sure yet on the cost to power advantage of an intercooler, though. Besides power, I'm looking to lighten things up as well. I'll be throwing on some lighter wheels with PS2's, and if I can take the hit, the BMW performance complete brake kit.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

We search for certainty and call what we find destiny. Everything is possible, yet only one thing happens.
-Michael and Ellen Kaplan
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2008, 08:45 AM   #4
frimmelnojerz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego blue 135i

you might be losing power with that route.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2008, 08:50 AM   #5
Yearofthe1
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frimmelnojerz View Post
you might be losing power with that route.
Huh? :iono:

Care to explain yourself? I'm curious.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

We search for certainty and call what we find destiny. Everything is possible, yet only one thing happens.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2008, 10:12 AM   #6
e90AW335i
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlBel1214 View Post
Anyone have a guestimate of the MAX HP you could get without a tune like (dinan, jb3, or SSTT)...

Maybe just an exhaust, new intake, downpipes?

Or any other mods that don't involve touching the ECU..
What is the point of this? I hope your reasoning is not due to warranty stuff because BMW will void you warranty for DPs, and intake just as quick as they will for a tune.

Also, most tunes out there now are undetectable and provide MUCH better power gains than DPs, intake, and exhaust would get you together.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2008, 10:25 AM   #7
arrutled
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Olsa

I would guess 30-40 extra hp from those mods. zero from intake from what i understand, which is why bmw isnt producing one but hey the sound could be cool! 8-10 hp from a catback, and 20-30 hp from a downpipe. plus you would be perfectly set up for a tune when the warranty runs up if thats your reasoning!

AW 135i w/ blackette, performance short shift kit, BMW alarm, Performance rotors, APEX ARC-8 wheels, Direzza Star Spec 235/275, Dinan stage 3 suspension, M3 wishbones/tension rods/front sway/rear subframe bushings and thats all folks!
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2008, 10:48 AM   #8
sam480
Rep
Drives: slow

IMO the physical mods are not effective without a tuned ECU. The reason being is that the stock ECU keeps the system within the designed parameters.

For example, a larger intercooler is installed, hence cooler and more dense air. The stock ECU sees more air and therefore adjust the F/A ratio,but the restriction in the stock DPs counter the F/A adjustment, therefore forcing the stock ECU to decrease overall performance to maintain certain parameters such as emission, wastegate cycling, and air intake pressure.

A tuned ECU tells the system, "Hey, you have these capabilities, so perform to these higher parameters". And so if your physical mods are of higher capabilities, then the 135i is golden and you have a never ending smile.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2008, 11:02 AM   #9
frimmelnojerz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego blue 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yearofthe1 View Post
Huh? :iono:

Care to explain yourself? I'm curious.
well...its from my limited experience that bolt ons do not benefit without software changes. Everything coming from the factory is designed specifically to work with the software created by the manufacturer. when you start to change hardware such as intakes and and intercoolers you're going to end up changing the parameters of how the car is specifically performing. I know this is true about intakes but to be honest the downpipes/exhaust are most likely going to yield gains because they free up stress on the turbos. but still, nothing is going to be optimal without a tune. If you want to worry about your warranty i suggest buying one thing to remove easily if theres an issue. and that one thing would be a chip. the rest of the bolt ons would be too time consuming to remove compared to a chip.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2008, 11:11 AM   #10
Trapperj
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2C

Buy a tune first IMHO. Many of the other modds are smoke and mirrors without a tune. Some may help a little....some may hurt..Have you ridden or drove a 1 or 3 series with a tune? Find someone to take you for a ride
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2008, 12:03 PM   #11
Yearofthe1
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frimmelnojerz View Post
If you want to worry about your warranty i suggest buying one thing to remove easily if theres an issue. and that one thing would be a chip.
I never said anything about warranty, I just want to see what the car will do first without modding the ecu. If the power just isn't there, then yeah, an ecu tune will be the next step. At least by that point, though, I won't have the mechanical/physical limits imposed by the factory parts. Also, I've always made sure the brakes and suspension are up to the task of handling more power. Those upgrades will always be first on the list when boosting the car's power by any significant amount.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Appreciate 0
      09-16-2008, 02:11 PM   #12
clived
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Evolved 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by tskeen View Post
Buy a tune first IMHO. Many of the other modds are smoke and mirrors without a tune. Some may help a little....some may hurt..Have you ridden or drove a 1 or 3 series with a tune? Find someone to take you for a ride
Surely adding the mods first and then getting the car custom mapped to take maximum advantage of them would be the best way to go?
      09-16-2008, 02:58 PM   #13
holo777
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i Conv

Does the ECU/DME impose torque limits? I seem to rember some talk about the computer cutting back on power if it thinks its making too much. Something like that might seriously limit non tune potential.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2008, 06:42 PM   #14
AlBel1214
Major
Rep
Drives: past 135i, now c6, future M3??

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90AW335i View Post
What is the point of this? I hope your reasoning is not due to warranty stuff because BMW will void you warranty for DPs, and intake just as quick as they will for a tune.

Also, most tunes out there now are undetectable and provide MUCH better power gains than DPs, intake, and exhaust would get you together.
Well the intake can be easily swapped out... and a bmw perf exhaust won't void warrenty...

The DPs are another story but from some of the members on hear with downpipes I havent heard of anyone who took there car in for service that got any problems for having the DPs on (since its just an exhaust mod)...

Once you flash the ECU your done on warrenty... (b.c even if its a pain the downpipes could be removed if they had to be)
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2008, 06:52 PM   #15
Italteen3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i JB

I put the RR DP's in car and the power difference is VERY noticeable. The low-end torque was great!!! I say "was" because I put stock DPs back in for a little while :wink:. I MISS the extra power and sound already, after only a week back to stock.

As to the ECU adapting the A/F ratio with an intake I can't say yes or no to any power gains as I have the stock intake. With the DPs for the first day or two there was minimal gain. Once the car "learned" of it's easier exhaling capabilities it friggin pulled! Must do mod for anyone looking for power IMO. Another thing to mention about the DP's from Riss is that they are a high-quality product.

With all those mods IC, DPs, intake, full exhaust I don't see why 35-40rwhp isn't attainable.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2008, 07:08 PM   #16
e90AW335i
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlBel1214 View Post
Well the intake can be easily swapped out... and a bmw perf exhaust won't void warrenty...

The DPs are another story but from some of the members on hear with downpipes I havent heard of anyone who took there car in for service that got any problems for having the DPs on (since its just an exhaust mod)...

Once you flash the ECU your done on warrenty... (b.c even if its a pain the downpipes could be removed if they had to be)
Who is talking about a flash? I am talking about JB3, something that adds 80rwhp and can be taken out in 45min or less.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2008, 07:41 PM   #17
J-Sud
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Quote:
Who is talking about a flash? I am talking about JB3, something that adds 80rwhp and can be taken out in 45min or less.
i dont think it takes you 45min :wink:

I will hit you up the weekend i come to town to pick up my car
      09-16-2008, 07:58 PM   #18
e90AW335i
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Sud View Post
i dont think it takes you 45min :wink:

I will hit you up the weekend i come to town to pick up my car
You got that right! :biggrin:

You car is already ready?!? Awesome man, lets get a JB3 on there ASAP!
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2008, 08:02 PM   #19
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135I

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Italteen3 View Post
I put the RR DP's in car and the power difference is VERY noticeable. The low-end torque was great!!! I say "was" because I put stock DPs back in for a little while :wink:. I MISS the extra power and sound already, after only a week back to stock.

As to the ECU adapting the A/F ratio with an intake I can't say yes or no to any power gains as I have the stock intake. With the DPs for the first day or two there was minimal gain. Once the car "learned" of it's easier exhaling capabilities it friggin pulled! Must do mod for anyone looking for power IMO. Another thing to mention about the DP's from Riss is that they are a high-quality product.

With all those mods IC, DPs, intake, full exhaust I don't see why 35-40rwhp isn't attainable.
Did you take the DP's off because of the JB3? (too much power currently for our ECU software?).:iono:
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2008, 09:40 PM   #20
Italteen3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i JB

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrean8j View Post
Did you take the DP's off because of the JB3? (too much power currently for our ECU software?).:iono:
I have not purchased/installed a Tune yet. My ECU has not been touched by foreign hardware.:smile: Just comparing my car stock with my car a week and a half ago with DPs in. I'm not sure what I miss more the power or the sound, they were both SEXY!

My reason for taking them off is very silly but I had to for a little while(until spring).
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2008, 10:23 PM   #21
SlapSmak
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yearofthe1 View Post
Besides power, I'm looking to lighten things up as well. I'll be throwing on some lighter wheels with PS2's, and if I can take the hit, the BMW performance complete brake kit.
I will save you some money. Buy a can of gold spraypaint and spray your calipers. you already have the performance calipers minus the BMW Performance decal. Just spend 220$ with Dan for the rotors.
Now with the 1800$ I just saved you, go buy a JB3, an SSTT or other ECU tuning unit and enjoy...
      09-17-2008, 07:40 AM   #22
J-Sud
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Quote:
You got that right! :biggrin:

You car is already ready?!? Awesome man, lets get a JB3 on there ASAP!
its in route awaiting shipping vessel but i hope to pick it up mid to late Oct...hopefully its here by then, but production is complete!

you have an extra JB3 to spare??? :biggrin: