BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-24-2008, 03:50 PM   #1
jefsmsf1
Registered
Rep
Drives:

BMW 1 vs Porsche 993 vs Mustang GT?

Am new here, lack experience with these cars and notice many have lots of auto experience. Looking for a special, fun to drive car for short drives. Does anyone have experience with Porsche 993 and Mustang GT and how they compare to BWM 1 for precise steering feel and flat cornering? I see that one can purchase an excellent condition Porsche 993 for $40,000.00, so this would be similar price fo BWM 1.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2008, 04:17 PM   #2
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

993 > 135i > Mustang for steering feel. Probably about the same for cornering. The Mustang is the crudest of the three, the 135i the most luxurious, and the Porsche the most serious. ; -)
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2008, 04:55 PM   #3
Road Runner
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

^^^

jefsmsf1 Thats probably the most concise and on the money take on it that you'll get.
      07-24-2008, 07:19 PM   #4
six-n-twins
Private
Rep
Drives:

Mustang? One of these things is not like the other....
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2008, 12:11 AM   #5
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

mustang guzzles gas and has less power per weight, but is a classic car that's really nice. however compared to the germans, it's less refined and not as fun. a shelby mustang or gt550 (i think) would be more powerful though, but its still raw brute power, not refined with beautiful handling and feel. i still love mustangs though :-) never driven a porsche but i'd assume it would be superior to the 135, but it depends on if you need a rear seat or any cargo room, and if you don't mind buying used.

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived... Mmhm.

Appreciate 0
      07-25-2008, 09:23 AM   #6
partapgti
Rep
Drives:

you can throw a blower on the mustang for about 3500 and make close to 450hp on stock everything including clutch and trans. but it will still be slow in the corning. also check out the aftermarket parts for a 1. this car will be insane.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2008, 09:28 AM   #7
TazioNYC
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Those cars are so different, IMO, you just have to drive all three and see which one you like best. The Porsche is getting up there on being a 15 year old car, which carries its own set of issues, but a nice example actually has a chance of being at least a stable investment. And it's a totally beautiful iconic car that can still hold its own with today's machinery.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2008, 11:25 AM   #8
IDBMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

The new BMW will have the maintenance included, even the brakes and wipers for 50k miles.

You will have to pay for the Porsche service and it is expensive. Also, consider the used Porsche will most likely cost you some expensive repairs. So the $40K for the used Porsche may sound comparable to the 135i but load your wallet up for the service and repairs on the Porsche.

The Mustang GT like others mentioned is crude and there is no comparison between the 135i and a mustang. If you are a drag racer type the Mustang might fit your needs but if you like driving and taking corners the BMW or Porsche will do you better. IMO I would not even consider the Mustang.
      07-25-2008, 12:31 PM   #9
WhiteOne
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW 135i

The Porsche has the motor at the wrong end.
Everything about it is very expensive.
Yes, I have owned one.

I have never owned a Mustang GT.(or any Ford)

I really enjoy driving a quality performance capable automobile.
I just did ED in my new 135i.
More fun than a barrel of monkeys.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2008, 12:43 PM   #10
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDBMW View Post
You will have to pay for the Porsche service and it is expensive.
+1.

I considered one years ago, and ended up with an E36 M3 instead. The 993 is a smaller car, with great looks, decent performance and a bad interior. :biggrin:

Everything inside looked like crap, but on the other hand felt built to nuclear standards. Buttons were oversized, so you can still press them with racing gloves. Pedals were floor-mounted which meant you had to use your legs as pistons, no delicate ankle rotation here - awful in traffic, great at the track. Doors looked delicate, but closed like a bank vault. Steering feel was ok on the C4 I drove, would probably be lots better on a C2.

The 993 is a much more hardcore car. Exciting? check. Uncompromising? check. Gorgeous? check.

But it's a car for people with money, or those with a car lift in their garage. And best served as a weekend/track car, not daily driver.

The Mustang is actually not a bad driving car. It will need brakes, suspension, wheels/tires to start with, and possibly some engine tuning and a nice exhaust to uncork that superb sound. If I were in my 20's, I would consider one.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2008, 12:50 PM   #11
TazioNYC
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
+1.

I considered one years ago, and ended up with an E36 M3 instead. The 993 is a smaller car, with great looks, decent performance and a bad interior. :biggrin:

Everything inside looked like crap, but on the other hand felt built to nuclear standards. Buttons were oversized, so you can still press them with racing gloves. Pedals were floor-mounted which meant you had to use your legs as pistons, no delicate ankle rotation here - awful in traffic, great at the track. Doors looked delicate, but closed like a bank vault. Steering feel was ok on the C4 I drove, would probably be lots better on a C2.

The 993 is a much more hardcore car. Exciting? check. Uncompromising? check. Gorgeous? check.

But it's a car for people with money, or those with a car lift in their garage. And best served as a weekend/track car, not daily driver.

The Mustang is actually not a bad driving car. It will need brakes, suspension, wheels/tires to start with, and possibly some engine tuning and a nice exhaust to uncork that superb sound. If I were in my 20's, I would consider one.
I don't know if the 993 is as hardcore as you state -- maybe a 3.2 or an SC would be in the category, but the 993 doesn't seem to have that one big $$$ issue that plagues most Porsche models. I don't think it's an unreliable car, but stuff is going to break because it's 10-15 years old. And Porsche parts can be expensive, but are in the same ballpark as BMW. And there are tons of aftermarket options for the 993 and a wonderful Porsche community to be a part of. But it's not a new car, has an unusable back seat, no cargo space, and no warranty.

Oh, and for the record, I think BMW's "free" maintenance plan is BS. If I was planning to keep it for a long time, I would be following the old one, before they went to the free maintenance gimmick.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2008, 09:15 AM   #12
Gray135i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

My friend at work came in with a new Mustang GT less than a month after my 135 came in. Gas mileage is about equal with both of us getting around 22 around town and 30-32 on the highway. Granted he can't quite keep up in a straight line or in the corners. However if you're just wanting performance and bang for the buck, you can buy a GT, supercharge it, tweak the suspension and brakes and you'll outrun the 135 in all performance aspects for less money. That being said, I'd still take the feel of the 135 because I don't want to drive around in something that feels equivalent to a Focus in terms of workmanship and overall feel. Between these two cars it depends mainly on what you want, a nice all around car or something can be fast though you sacrifice features and quality.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2008, 12:14 PM   #13
six-n-twins
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray135i View Post
My friend at work came in with a new Mustang GT less than a month after my 135 came in. Gas mileage is about equal with both of us getting around 22 around town and 30-32 on the highway. Granted he can't quite keep up in a straight line or in the corners. However if you're just wanting performance and bang for the buck, you can buy a GT, supercharge it, tweak the suspension and brakes and you'll outrun the 135 in all performance aspects for less money. That being said, I'd still take the feel of the 135 because I don't want to drive around in something that feels equivalent to a Focus in terms of workmanship and overall feel. Between these two cars it depends mainly on what you want, a nice all around car or something can be fast though you sacrifice features and quality.

I agree, but I'll add one thing; re sale value. Any modded car loses value, beyond the fact that youll never get your money back out of the mods. The car itself becomes less valuable in most cases. In 5 years see how much a modded mustang is worth (Not shelby, saleen, etc) vs a stock 135i. I bet it wont be so close.

Just another thought IMO
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2008, 01:39 PM   #14
Heinzftw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2000 Civic+2008 Accord

With what is being said put it this way. The points we have touched on are:
V8 is raw power with torque that never ends, but a regular Mustang GT just can't compete. If looking into a Mustang please look into Shelby, Rousch, any pretty much anything with more performance than a stock GT.
Porsche's are known for their aggressive handling. The 993 is an amazing ride. With that 3.6L flat-six. It does jaunt you to 60 in 3.9 (if you can shift). I would jump on a Porsche, if I was a mechanic :biggrin:. But, the most ideal car comes with twin turbo's, 300hp, free maintence, new paint, and a warranty!
Fact of the matter is that yes, 135i wins hands down! Sure the run flats on it are the worst tires ever made. But, out of the three companies your comparing who has the best service records? BMW!! I rest my case :headbang:

-█--------█-
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2008, 03:59 PM   #15
3.2 liter weedeater
Rep
Drives:

I thought the OP asked about handling and steering feel??
      07-26-2008, 04:07 PM   #16
ARES45
Major
Rep
Drives:

The run flats aren't that bad and very far from the worst tires ever made, not to mention if you don't like em, roast the shit out of them and get something you like better.

As far as this comparo, I would love to have an older porsche, but I would hate the repair bills. The mustang is a decent car for the money, but it wouldn't be my choice.
      07-26-2008, 07:05 PM   #17
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Modded 06 TL Manual

135i NEW
993 USED
Mustang FORD.

Need I say more
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2008, 10:57 PM   #18
rcracer_tx
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i

No offense, but if you have not owned any sports cars or are not very experienced, you should not get a 993. It can be the most rewarding car to drive, but it is extremely unforgiving due to the rear engine design and lack of electronics to keep you from spinning out. It is one of those cars that will bite you in the ass if you don't respect it and is very difficult to recover if the rear wheels break traction. just my 2 cents.

Come on, a Rustang? I think you might need some if your even considering that against the other two cars. Porsche and BMW are in a completely different league.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2008, 02:54 AM   #19
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Modded 06 TL Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcracer_tx View Post
No offense, but if you have not owned any sports cars or are not very experienced, you should not get a 993. It can be the most rewarding car to drive, but it is extremely unforgiving due to the rear engine design and lack of electronics to keep you from spinning out. It is one of those cars that will bite you in the ass if you don't respect it and is very difficult to recover if the rear wheels break traction. just my 2 cents.

Come on, a Rustang? I think you might need some if your even considering that against the other two cars. Porsche and BMW are in a completely different league.

You are 100% correct^^^
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2008, 07:26 PM   #20
jefsmsf1
Registered
Rep
Drives:

Thanks everyone for the good info. Another thought is that one could purchase a slightly used Cayman S for around $50,000. as an alternative and comparison vehicle to the Series 1.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2008, 11:15 PM   #21
rcracer_tx
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefsmsf1 View Post
Thanks everyone for the good info. Another thought is that one could purchase a slightly used Cayman S for around $50,000. as an alternative and comparison vehicle to the Series 1.
I actually came from a 550 Spyder edition Boxster. It is a very well balanced and fun to drive car, and is incredibly forgiving. If you get one with the Porsche stability management, you would really have to screw up to lose control. It is a great choice if you don't need rear seats, and a large trunk. (however the two trunks add up to a surprising amount of space for a small sports car).
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2008, 06:51 PM   #22
968PORSCHE
968PORSCHE
United_States
Rep
Drives: PORSCHE 968

I wouldn't let the fact that the engine is in the wrong end bother you, but a 993 could be expensive if you don't get a good one. Cayman S is a better choice.

My test drive in a mustang was interesting. On the way home I was trying to verbalize how the Mustang felt. I concluded that if I welded a wheelbarow full of dried cement to the hood of my 968, (a 944 is almost the same car), that would replicate the handling of the Mustang. (To be fair, I did drive the Mach I with the Iron block). I've never come up with a more accurate description than that. Steering feel? forget about it, a Mustang doesn't really have any. They aren't bad cars, they just don't begin to drive as well as anything from Europe.

So if you like the feeling of driving with a load of cement a foot above your hood, then a Mach I mustang is for you. Lesser stangs probably don't feel as bad since the motor is aluminum.
Appreciate 0