BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-18-2008, 08:27 PM   #1
raisemyrent
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire 428i xD GC

Dietrich's eventful upbringing

So Dietrich is now almost 2 months old, and he's run for 2400km (1500mi)... I parked him for 2 weeks to go on Holidays and have been driving him lots since because of work...
He's been growing well and behaving more and more like a grown-up car... he doesn't shift moodily or eat too much gas anymore, and the seats are much more comfortable to sit on (in terms of relative position to instruments).
He is obviously past his break-in period, but I have not yet let him run at full speed because I am waiting on taking him with the vet to get his oil and fluids flushed out.
He still gets excited and moody when other cars give him attitude when we go for rides, but has learned to ignore them. Today, he even ignored a Lexus and an Evo whose owners had watched too much Fast & Furious and were racing each other, and the rest of the world, BUMPER-TO-BUMPER.

However, he got hit by another car's door in a parking lot the 2nd day after I came back to drive him again. It was a small door ding on his side and a couple scratches on his paint that should come off easily. I told him that he would just need to go get a "hair cut"..

But today he got really scared; we were at a red light and this GMC Sonoma came up behind us. Nothing unusual; cars waiting for the light to turn green and not moving. But the Sonoma got eager, and started running and hit Dietrich's rear bumper. It made a huge dent and broke the outer cover on a couple spots. His paint is quite scratched too. Dietrich freaked out and turned off his engine, turned on his hazards, and called the breeder (through his BMW assist). The breeder advised that the police had said they would not show up and required us to go and file a report by ourselves. So I explained to Dietrich that he could ride again, patted him on the dash, and off we went.
Insurance, police reports, and a couple handshakes later I was back riding with Dietrich on the way home... still very nervous.
So I decided to calm us down and we drove to the breeder-recommended vet, which was still open. They told us that they can take care of Dietrich first thing next week, and that he should get some rest this weekend. They promised us a new rear bumper for him, with brand new paint on it. It shouldn't hurt. I only have to bring him in for a day or two also.

So that's his story so far... he regained some of his confidence on the ring road on the way back home to his garage, so told him that this weekend I will give him a wash so that we can see the wound better, and because he has been needing it (rainy season). I know he likes the wash because when we go, he blinks the lights and locks/unlocks the doors randomly.
That and some rest should get him back on track, I think...
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2008, 09:09 PM   #2
esses
No_Country
Rep
Drives: like I stole it.

Bummer about the accident, I would be steamed.

It should take the dealer longer than 2 days to get the paint right, weather.com says you've got rain out there. Count on a week.

Appreciate 0
      07-18-2008, 09:43 PM   #3
lacrosse
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 997 C2

Garage List
2006 Carrera C2  [0.00]
2008 135i  [0.00]
2002 Mercedes ML 320  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
ouch.............sorry bro!

Gone: 2008 135i/2006 330i Arrived: 2006 997/Black/Sand Beige Leather/6MT/Sports Chrono Plus/19" Vorsteiner V-308s/Factory Nav/Sports Steering Wheel/Contrasting Mats/Heated Seats/Bose /V1/iPod adapter/Parrot Bluetooth/50% all around/Black "911" script/"Gundo Hack"/AWE black chrome tips/H&R adjustable front and rear sways/Rennline shift knob
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2008, 09:46 PM   #4
SimonB
135 to 335 M Sport to X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 30d, optioned up!

Sorry to hear about the bad news, but loved the method of delivery, thanks!
      07-19-2008, 01:07 AM   #5
60Driver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisemyrent View Post
I know he likes the wash because when we go, he blinks the lights and locks/unlocks the doors randomly.
Very nice, very funny. Tell Dietrich I'm pulling for him.
      07-19-2008, 01:14 AM   #6
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Most creative post. Are you a parent?
      07-19-2008, 12:17 PM   #7
Citizen Z
Alpine Master
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i AW Sport

*shoots self in the face* I'm going to start a coalition to end the anthropomorphizing of cars. Every time I meet a person who names their car and talks about as though it were a person, I become more an more convinced such behavior is a manifestation of a psychosis of some sort.

Fastness: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252727
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2008, 02:06 PM   #8
dclee1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen Z View Post
*shoots self in the face* I'm going to start a coalition to end the anthropomorphizing of cars. Every time I meet a person who names their car and talks about as though it were a person, I become more an more convinced such behavior is a manifestation of a psychosis of some sort.
Ouch that's a bit harsh. I don't refer to any of my vehicles by any proper name or by pronoun, but I enjoyed the OP's method of storytelling. Besides, he was referring to his car like a pet, not a human.
      07-19-2008, 03:00 PM   #9
Kiety
The ONE
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i Cabriolet

Poor Dietrich, my baby 1 recently got a flat tire, so i can feel ya (at least a little bit), hope it's good as new soon!

Appreciate 0
      07-19-2008, 03:37 PM   #10
Arnie712
Rep
Drives:

Sounds like Dietrich is an outside pet, so we need not speak of housebreaking... (fortunate, since a 3000+ pound pet makes for a considerable inside accident)
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2008, 05:03 PM   #11
raisemyrent
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire 428i xD GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert View Post
Most creative post. Are you a parent?
hehe; no. I am 24 and single. I have a guinea pig (Mocha) and a plant (Elise) though, and an old dog at my parents. Dietrich is my boy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dclee1 View Post
Ouch that's a bit harsh. I don't refer to any of my vehicles by any proper name or by pronoun, but I enjoyed the OP's method of storytelling. Besides, he was referring to his car like a pet, not a human.
precisely. Though I don't like giving dogs or other animals human names, cars are slightly different. I assign my inanimate objects human or animal identities, and though not psychotic, I know what he meant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiety View Post
Poor Dietrich, my baby 1 recently got a flat tire, so i can feel ya (at least a little bit), hope it's good as new soon!
That is unfortunate... luckily their paws are very tough and they can keep running for a bit even if they have a blister...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnie712 View Post
Sounds like Dietrich is an outside pet, so we need not speak of housebreaking... (fortunate, since a 3000+ pound pet makes for a considerable inside accident)
haha! hopefully they won't leave us gifts (oil puddles?), the breeder seemed pretty confident... he sleeps indoors though; Canada is COLD.
Appreciate 0