BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-14-2008, 03:06 AM   #1
Dan203
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Son of a b.......!

So I got another speeding ticket today! That's 2 in 6 weeks!! This one really pisses me off though because I was only speeding for like 3 seconds when he got me. I was making a left out of the driveway of the complex I live in. There was a long line of cars coming up the road in the same direction I wanted to go (none the other direction) but they were far enough back that I knew I could jump out ahead of them by getting on the gas just a little bit. (got up to 37mph in a 25) Unfortunately there just happened to be a cop sitting in a parking lot less then a block from my house. He caught me on radar before I even realized how fast I was going. I hit the break as soon as I saw him, but as soon as I went passed he whipped out behind me and pulled me over.

On top of that... when I was puling over I went into the drive way of a local business on the right, as there is no shoulder to pull onto. Well I cut it a little steep and I clipped the curb with right rear tire. Apparenlty the force, or the angle, was enough to chip my rim! So not only did I get an $85 ticket but I also chipped a $400 rim. Son of a b*tch!!!!

Dan
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2008, 03:19 AM   #2
yourfriend
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E82 128i

if you have the road hazard warranty, you can definitely just go hit a pothole really hard, which will bend your rim, which in turn gets you a free wheel.

otherwise, i'm sorry man, that sucks.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2008, 04:25 AM   #3
raolc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: z4m

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfriend View Post
if you have the road hazard warranty, you can definitely just go hit a pothole really hard, which will bend your rim, which in turn gets you a free wheel.

otherwise, i'm sorry man, that sucks.

haha i think you'll be damaging your suspension long before you manage to bend a wheel

anyways, sorry about your luck
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2008, 04:39 AM   #4
yourfriend
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E82 128i

well that was a suggestion that the lady who handled our finances actually gave me. i laughed, and then we proceeded to buy the coverage.

i guess it worked... damn.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2008, 06:17 AM   #5
IDBMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

I told you last time to get a good Radar Detector. For the price of the ticket you could have bought an average radar detector. We don’t intend to speed but with this car being so smooth you do not always realize you are exceeding the speed limit. The radar detector will just let you know where the radar is so you can do a speed check. It’s been ten years and three fast BMW’s since I had a ticket.

In your case my radar detector would have been going off before I even left the parking lot and I would have known to make sure I was within the speed limit.

If you do get a radar detector you just don’t simply install one and that is it, there is a way to sensibly use them.
      07-14-2008, 06:53 AM   #6
sunking420
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 SGM 135i

Radar detectors are not fool proof. I still wouldn't drive without one. The hog on a Harley that gave me my ticket the last day of April(he's been written up in the local paper for giving out the most tickets in the history of the city)has a great system I've seen him use. Just a couple of days ago, I was going over the same bridge(speed trap) I got the ticket on. I was a few car lengths behind him. He waited for a car to come down in the opposite direction, and as everyone goes a little faster coming down the bridge, he turns the radar detector on at the last second. In my rear view, I saw him take his u-turn before the bridge, flip the lights on, and there's another $88 for the city.....Used to be these guys at least gave you a warning....Not anymore. It's no longer serve and protect......It's now Harass and Extort....We need smaller, less invasive government on all levels................
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2008, 08:21 AM   #7
Spook
Bring Bail Money
Rep
Drives:

It wouldn't be so bad if this was about public safety. It's really about raising revenue.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2008, 09:28 AM   #8
topvega
Kinda sorta banned on N54
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135 SGM JB3

Yeah I am going to have to invest in a good radar detector it seems... I have been pulled over 4 times for speeding since mid May. No tickets but I had 3 PBA/FOP cards taken from me and 1 was from a chief which hurt the most...the problem for me is that in my G35 coupe I usually had to down shift to pass some one at a good clip... well as everyone with a 135 knows the torque is insane and just staying in the current gear you are in and giving the throttle a punch is enough to add 20+ mph to your speed in not much time at all... no down shifting needed and 3 of the 4 times I got pulled over this is what happened...so I have to get a detector before I run out of "juice" cards...

Appreciate 0
      07-14-2008, 09:44 AM   #9
imported_Katera
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunking420 View Post
.....Used to be these guys at least gave you a warning....Not anymore. It's no longer serve and protect......It's now Harass and Extort....

Ok that made me LOL.
-Boston Grey Leather with Black High Gloss Accent
-Moonlit Black Top
-Comfort Access
-Premium P.
-Sport P.
-Premium Stereo
-IPOD/USB
-BMW Performance Pedals
-BMW Windscreen
-Sat Radio

Meet Kat!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2008, 09:46 AM   #10
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

In your case, I don't think radar detector will help you. Most cops they do not always turn on their radar detector. They only turned it on whenever they found their target. You have to slow down or drive smartly (like not to lead).
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2008, 09:54 AM   #11
OrientBlauZHP
1addict regardless
Rep
Drives:

I got a ticket driving through Iowa; I was clocked, by radar, buy a f*cking cop in a heliCOPter!!! WTF!!! After your clocked they radio down to the units sitting on the side of the road....I don't think a radar detector would have helped there. It's BS, don't they have anything better to do then pull people over for speeding?

Sorry for your ticket.....
      07-14-2008, 09:57 AM   #12
imported_Katera
Captain
Rep
Drives:

That's the govt. Spend $500 on gas for a helicopter for a $100 ticket. With all the other crime you think they would have less time on their hands.
-Boston Grey Leather with Black High Gloss Accent
-Moonlit Black Top
-Comfort Access
-Premium P.
-Sport P.
-Premium Stereo
-IPOD/USB
-BMW Performance Pedals
-BMW Windscreen
-Sat Radio

Meet Kat!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2008, 10:15 AM   #13
FD911
Private
Rep
Drives:

Some of you kill me!! Some of us have serverd our community for a long time. When you say we dont server and protect but harass and EXTORT? Yes thats what we have time to do... Extort money from someone.. Its so rampant.. What Ever.. Funny thing is I think you would be the first one to complain if a cop didnt show up in a time frame that YOU needed one.. Yes you can give a warning.. But by what the OP posted I would venture to guess he was pulled over because his action of getting on the gas and going around cars got the officers attention. Also you said you were going 12 over the speed limit for how long? There are reasons areas are 25 mph speed limits.. As the OP said there was alot of cars that he attempted to go around.. Did you see or even try to see if any people walking were in the area? That is usually the reason for that speed limit. Or is it the system setting you up so they can get money? LOL.. Again your actions got you busted not an over zealous extortion minded servant..
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2008, 10:21 AM   #14
OrientBlauZHP
1addict regardless
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katera View Post
That's the govt. Spend $500 on gas for a helicopter for a $100 ticket. With all the other crime you think they would have less time on their hands.
It was crazy, they had people pulled over left and right. I understand that I was doing 80 in a 70 - on an empty highway - but why the chopper? I think that people should be allowed some leniency depending upon the conditions they are driving in and weather or not they are being reckless and endangering other people. I was simply cruising in the right hand lane, not swerving in and out of traffic while doing 10 over.
      07-14-2008, 10:25 AM   #15
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

I not only have a great Radar detector, but also a really awesome traffic lawyer. Having no tickets is worth its weight in gold.

Sorry you got hosed by the men in blue.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2008, 10:27 AM   #16
ARES45
Major
Rep
Drives:

Let me carry my firearm and all I want the police to do is worry about rapists, murderors, etc.

Edit: On a side note, helicopters are expensive to own and operate and imo should not be used for traffic duty.
      07-14-2008, 10:27 AM   #17
ryguy85
1erHammer
Rep
Drives:

These comments kill me every time. Sure getting a ticket is annoying and it happens to alot of people. But theres a time and place on these roads for flexing our muscles and using the potential of our cars a bit more.

Im sure theres cases of merging with traffic or avoiding obstacles where speeding was warrented. But for the most part if your pulled over its either since you were going excessivly over the limit, or you were driving dangerously enough to possibly injure others (even if you werent speeding tooo much or any at all).
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2008, 10:31 AM   #18
OrientBlauZHP
1addict regardless
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FD911 View Post
Some of you kill me!! Some of us have serverd our community for a long time. When you say we dont server and protect but harass and EXTORT? Yes thats what we have time to do... Extort money from someone.. Its so rampant.. What Ever.. Funny thing is I think you would be the first one to complain if a cop didnt show up in a time frame that YOU needed one.. Yes you can give a warning.. But by what the OP posted I would venture to guess he was pulled over because his action of getting on the gas and going around cars got the officers attention. Also you said you were going 12 over the speed limit for how long? There are reasons areas are 25 mph speed limits.. As the OP said there was alot of cars that he attempted to go around.. Did you see or even try to see if any people walking were in the area? That is usually the reason for that speed limit. Or is it the system setting you up so they can get money? LOL.. Again your actions got you busted not an over zealous extortion minded servant..
You can't honestly tell me that there aren't officers who pull people over for monetary reasons - ie speed traps. Where I grew up there were several police officers like this; not all Cops are like this, but they do exist. But I think the situation and how the person is driving should play a larger role in weather or not they get a ticket for speeding. I'm all for giving people a ticket for speeding in a work or school zone; hell I live on a road that people speed through all day and there is a school zone on top of my hill and kids playing at the very top. I've complained to the local police before and nothing has been done - except for the occasional drive by.

But the police are too concerned with setting up speed traps along the main roads to concern themselves with school zones. I know I'm not the only person to have complained to the police about this.
      07-14-2008, 10:35 AM   #19
ARES45
Major
Rep
Drives:

I appologize, I come from a rural area where there was a lot of theft of property happening that the police could not solve. But you bet your ass if you went 63 in a 60 you would get a ticket. Nothing quite like having a police officer who can't figure out who is stealing thousands of your property right you a ticket the next day. I am not asking anyone else to agree, but don't be surprised if that is the mindset that is created by the incompitent police force where I was from.
      07-14-2008, 11:28 AM   #20
FD911
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1thirty5 View Post
You can't honestly tell me that there aren't officers who pull people over for monetary reasons - ie speed traps. Where I grew up there were several police officers like this; not all Cops are like this, but they do exist. But I think the situation and how the person is driving should play a larger role in weather or not they get a ticket for speeding. I'm all for giving people a ticket for speeding in a work or school zone; hell I live on a road that people speed through all day and there is a school zone on top of my hill and kids playing at the very top. I've complained to the local police before and nothing has been done - except for the occasional drive by.

But the police are too concerned with setting up speed traps along the main roads to concern themselves with school zones. I know I'm not the only person to have complained to the police about this.

I would agree that speed traps happen.. However most police departments dont get the funds.. Here the speeding tickects go to the court system to help defer public defender costs and such.. it also goes to the state.. I can say for here we have the same problems but to say the cops are here to Harass and Extort as one poster stated is just off the wall. As far as the speed traps go.. Where should an officer that has been assigned to traffic dutys setup? I would say that they set up where the problems are.. Just because you dont see them at that specific moment does not indicate that they are not working that area. Now let me propose this.. Your wife and child are walking to school in a 25 mph zone.. A guy who is going 12 mph over speed limit and darts around traffic because he seems impatient hits and severely injures your child and kills your spouse. You find out later that this cop let him off just prior to this happening. I wonder who the first one to get an attorney would be.... Now lets say you see a cop sitting on the road and a guy goes by doing 80.. Cop lets him go.. You drive a few miles down the road and see a terrible acident involving that speeding car (just 10mph over the limit).. It has killed a family of three in a van going on vacation. This guy survives.. Later in the news you find out he was running drugs for a local dealer and he was under the influence.. I wonder if you would say something about the cop not pulling the guy over especially if it was your family..

As far as the locals not being able to solve a crime.. While I understand that, the average department has a detective(s) that handle property crimes.. While a patrol officer may take a report it is usually forwared up to the detective and they work the case(s).. Manpower and severity of the case usually determines when its worked...
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2008, 11:41 AM   #21
gio
Captain
Rep
Drives:

You can fix the rim yourself and make it look as good as new. There is a website out there that shows you how to do and tells you were you can order the matching paint and clear coat. I don't have to link on me now unfortunately.
      07-14-2008, 12:05 PM   #22
Dan203
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by FD911 View Post
Obviously you don't know my area, so it's not really possible for you to judge what is/was safe for me to do. There is no school zone on this road, it's not a residential and there are no near by crosswalks. It's a 3 lane road (i.e. one lane each direction with center turn lane) lined mostly with small businesses and a couple of apartment complexes. I only got on the gas for the amount of time it took me to pull out and get going straight. (a few seconds) As soon as I was going straight I looked down at my speed, I realized how fast I was going, and I took my foot off the gas to start to slow down. But the cop was so close that he had me before I even had a chance adjust. That's what pissed me off so bad. I was speeding for all of 3-4 seconds.

The last ticket I got I "deserved"*. I was aware of my speed and I continued to knowingly break the speed limit. However in this case I was popped before I even had a chance to realize how fast I was going. I guess next time I'll just pull out in front of traffic going 10mph like everyone else around here does. I may cause everyone else to have to slam on their breaks to prevent from rear ending me, but at least I wont be speeding. :iono:

Dan

* The speed limits in this town are abnormally low. In So. Cal. where I grew up 25mph was reserved for school zones and residential areas. Here pretty much every road is 25MPH. Even the main highway running through town, which has 2 lanes going in each direction and has dedicated right/left turn lanes is 25mph. This whole town is a giant speed trap.
Appreciate 0