BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-11-2008, 09:05 PM   #1
1ATTIC
Private
Rep
Drives:

Comparison of a 2008 328i with a 128i vert

While my 2005 325 Xi is at the dealer dealing with the infamous BMW trunk odour, aka old crayon smell, I have had a 2008 328i as a service loaner. By the way, this is the second time I've had the 325Xi in, and the second time that all of the trunk linings are being replaced. I understand that the trunk odour issue it's actually quite a pervasive problem with certain models and years, and based on posts on another forum, I believe it's due to degassing from materials used in sound insulation at various locations in the vehicle, so I hope that all that stuff is being pulled out as well. Very, very unpleasant. Hopefully it's fixed this time (otherwise, I will be extremely displeased with BMWs approach to this issue).

Anyway, kudos to my dealer for providing a decent service loaner (the last two times they bused an on-site vehicle rental service that provided real sh_t boxes!

However, since I've now had the 328i for almost two weeks, it gives me a perfect opportunity to comment on the comparisons between the three BMW models that I'm now most familiar with. Firstly, I have to say upfront that the quality of finishing and the driving experience of the 128i vert far exceeds the 2008 328i. The 328i seems to use inferior quality materials in the interior finishing, and just does not feel as elegant. The 328i currently seems to provide more power, but this might be a function of the break-in period. The 328i has over 5000 km, while our 128i is still around 1500 km. I expect the power to increase as the engine is broken in. The 328i also feels realtively large and boxy compared to the 128i.

The extra functionality of the comfort access (not provided in the loaner 328i) is wonderful. I find that I hate having to insert the fob in the dash.

The Boston leather is also much nicer than the leatherette in the 328i.

The dash is the 328i is very uninspiring, and although the 328i is a very smooth and comfortable automobile, it does not stir the soul. I think BMW may have a problem on it's hands when more people start comparing the 3-series with the 1-series. Perhaps the geriatrics will still like the size of the 3.

Now to my 2005 325Xi. While it is nowhere near as much fun to drive as the 128i, and I wish I had a little more power, and perhaps the MT, I wouldn't trade it for the 2008 328i. I still love the classic lines, and just can't get behing Bangles vision for the newer model (especially the oversized ass - the front's OK).

Anyway, those are my impressions.....
Premium Sound
Moonlight Black Soft Top
Steptronic
Park Distance Control
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2008, 09:38 PM   #2
mfratt
Saving up for the 1er...
Rep
Drives:

From my experience, though limited, the interior of the E82 seems to be much more driver centric than the E90, and even (to a slighter degree) than the E46. The E90, to me, is just too boring, uninspiring, bourgeois, flat, plain, etc etc etc. On top of that, the car is pretty darned big compared to an E82 or E46.

I got a change to drive an E90 328xi loaner for a few days as well, and it was just (I'm sorry to say) boring to drive. The steering was overboosted, road feedback was limited, the throttle was mildly responsive at best, and it cornering was mediocre compared to the E46.

The E46 is a solid, all around classic BMW which I think will stand the test of time.

The E82/88, IMO, is one of the better products to come out of BMW in the Bangle era.

Appreciate 0
      07-11-2008, 11:35 PM   #3
1Ronnie
Ronnie
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 Sedona 128i

I've had a leased 323i for 2 years now, always wanted a BMW, so this was my way in, and to be honest, I have loved it. If BMW were more flexible in their releasing options, I would have kept it at least another year. It may not be a real drivers car, but, I always feel like I am getting into a really well built car every time I get in it.

However, when I went to the dealer to talk about my lease, and saw a Sedona Red sitting out front, I immediately knew it was the car for me, it's just got something the E90 doesn't. I saw two on the road today, and both times, I thought ... Wow, that car has some presence, especially for it's size !!

I know lots of people who think I'm crazy buying a baby Bimmer ... but to be honest ... Stuff 'em all !!
      07-12-2008, 10:08 AM   #4
1ATTIC
Private
Rep
Drives:

Baby Bimmer

I would bet that the people calling it a "baby bimmer" don't know cars, and certainly have never driven a 1.
Premium Sound
Moonlight Black Soft Top
Steptronic
Park Distance Control
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2008, 10:41 AM   #5
imported_Katera
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ATTIC View Post
I would bet that the people calling it a "baby bimmer" don't know cars, and certainly have never driven a 1.

Those are usually the last words they say as the "Baby B" leaves them in her dust...:w00t:
-Boston Grey Leather with Black High Gloss Accent
-Moonlit Black Top
-Comfort Access
-Premium P.
-Sport P.
-Premium Stereo
-IPOD/USB
-BMW Performance Pedals
-BMW Windscreen
-Sat Radio

Meet Kat!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2008, 10:49 AM   #6
warmtoes
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: EBII 435i xDrive

I have to agree about the dash. The E92/93 dash seems like it comes from a 1980's Olds because it's so straight across.

The materials look different as well. The E82/88's seem to have a better mix and quality of material and the shapes are more organic.

Even the implementation of the much maligned iDrive is way better in the 1 (although I don't have it). You don't have that big bulging mound that looks like the Sydney Opera House on your dash like in the 3.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2008, 12:50 PM   #7
Jack in Jax
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Pearson 424 Ketch

I definitely agree with 1Addict (and others here) that the E46 seems to represent the BMW marque far better than the E9X. Stung by a bee and swelled all up, says my son. But I think one of the E9X's worst set of lines is up front. If you stand 8' directly in front of a E9X and look out and down, onto the frontal area of the car, there's nothing to see but an immensely wide, swollen hood. No wheels, no wheel wells, not a crease in sight, no sense of proportion or motion. Just one big bulbous mound. It's beyond me how a talented designer could overlook some deep reflection on the appearance of the car from that position...or on staying with those lines, if he did so.

Jack
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2008, 02:34 PM   #8
1ATTIC
Private
Rep
Drives:

Good Analogy

"The E92/93 dash seems like it comes from a 1980's Olds because it's so straight across."

Hey, that's a perfect description......
Premium Sound
Moonlight Black Soft Top
Steptronic
Park Distance Control
Appreciate 0