BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-07-2008, 05:47 PM   #1
TagMan
Car Addict!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Convertible

What's the most significant thing you've learned or gained from this website?

There is so much valuable information that is posted here on this 1addicts website. It's amazing.

I'm certain many of us have really learned and gained some valuable and incredible information about BMW and the 1-Series right here on these forums.

So... what is the most significant or helpful information you have gained/learned from the 1addicts website so far?
(Besides the #442 cupholder... LOL.)
      07-07-2008, 05:54 PM   #2
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

I've found that most BMW forums are made up of mostly former BMW owners, which do get to bickering a lot, even with the common interest. Here, I've found that we're very diverse in our past history (automotive and otherwise), and there's more respect here, and less crap, than any other forum I've been part of.

Another interesting tidbit:

Spammers usually are set to auto create accounts where in the profile, "Drives: Man" is almost always set... many hundreds of cases so far.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 05:57 PM   #3
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

That BMW drivers aren't all snobby, holier-than-thou attitude having, middle aged doctor and lawyer types. In fact, they're (mostly) all nice, supportive, fun-loving, and awesome people! This is my first Bimmer, and I was honestly a little nervous about what other BMW drivers would be like. I'm glad to say everyone here is making the BMW purchasing experience all the more exciting :smile:

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived... Mmhm.

Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 05:58 PM   #4
frimmelnojerz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego blue 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
I've found that most BMW forums are made up of mostly former BMW owners, which do get to bickering a lot, even with the common interest. Here, I've found that we're very diverse in our past history (automotive and otherwise), and there's more respect here, and less crap, than any other forum I've been part of.

Spammers usually are set to auto create accounts where in the profile, "Drives: Man" is almost always set... many hundreds of cases so far.
^^ i agree. there seems to be a good amount of patience in this forum for lack of knowledge but(maybe i'm being negative) once this forum takes off and many people have the opportunity to purchase the car at a much lower price(a year or two down the line) you will notice the quality of conversation take a SEVERE dip. It's sad but true. Another thing is that BMW is such a large company that you can't just generalize and say "they're snobby doctors". Its just not that simple anymore. there are soooo many BMWs on the road and you're bound to get jerkoffs no matter where you go. But the 1 series is...interesting...its an ugly, performance based, relatively small car. It doesn't appeal to your regular BMW audience. Its an entry level car that does non-entry level things. The old e46 M3 was a status car. Very very few people actually drove it because of how it performed. It was revered as a status car. And kinda like how they compare the 1 to other vehicles...theres no REAL rival to the 1 series...just every other car on the road. evo, cayman, g37s,s5...it could be anything but it doesn't fit in a category(yet at least). So for someone looking for a type of vehicle that fits minimalist needs and maximum performance can be very please to find that the 1 does all of these things and more....i dont remember where i was going with this.

I'm still waiting to learn something very profound, however.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 06:01 PM   #5
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Nah - it won't be like the old Contour Enthusiast Group - where as soon as Hertz started selling 4 cyl/auto GE's outta the rental fleet every SVT wannabe crawled outta the woodwork. ; -)
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 06:04 PM   #6
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep

The big learning item for me was the N54 *.pdf file found here: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=901
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 06:07 PM   #7
backtoreality15
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i

Quote:

I was just thinking about this the other day. I've administrated a fairly-large forum in the past and it seems like people here get along well, use common sense and are generally respectful of our online community. Make your guys' job a whole lot easier. :thumbup:

I'll be proud to sport my 1ADDICTS.COM sticker when my car comes in.
      07-07-2008, 06:15 PM   #8
InsaneSkippy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtoreality15 View Post
I was just thinking about this the other day. I've administrated a fairly-large forum in the past and it seems like people here get along well, use common sense and are generally respectful of our online community. Make your guys' job a whole lot easier. :thumbup:
Same here, I've run a ton of forums but none of them have had the community that this site has.

Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 06:33 PM   #9
Dan203
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

The most valuable thing I gained from this site was support and knowledge when I was still waiting for my 135i to come. Now that it's here I spend more time driving it then reading/posting about it, but the stuff I learned and the support I received while I was waiting was invaluable.

Dan
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 06:34 PM   #10
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atr_hugo View Post
The big learning item for me was the N54 *.pdf file found here: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=901
I haven't read that til now. Very interesting and informative. Though I'm sure I could have lived without most of that knowledge, it's always nice to know more about the engine your car has.

Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 06:37 PM   #11
Call
Call
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i, 08 & 07 X5, 05 MCSC

I never expected to learn anything really profound like a cure for cancer; but, what I have learned from 1ADDICTS is the ONE is a very special BMW...so much so that it really can't be compared to any other even if BMWUSA would want you to believe it's the re-incarnation of the 2002tii which it isn't. And I don't even think it's great marketing to compare the two as I would really think most who own the ONE have no idea what the 2002tii was except from what they have read or heard. But that's another storyline.

This website has been a royal delight from most of the others I frequent. Let's just hope it stays that way...great job moderators and good posting fellow 1ADDICTS.

Call
      07-07-2008, 07:09 PM   #12
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 08 CR-V

A lot of good information. Accurate information. Helped me choose my options wisely when I placed my order. And most of all, almost no jerks.
Most people here are having fun learning and sharing a common enjoyment. This is the ONE site I come to if I need good information without much chance of getting flamed for asking a stupid question. The moderators here are good too.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 07:20 PM   #13
Yoot1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Learning about the "clutch delay valve". I couldn't figure out why I was having so much trouble working the clutch and it was really bumming me out.

Not only did this forum point me to the correct problem, but Larry wrote a great DIY CDV removal/replacement post. It completely solved my problem and made me love the car.
      07-07-2008, 07:38 PM   #14
Russo
Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 Dodge Dakota Big Horn

i learned that BMW has a lot more Fanboi's than i thought they had....

other than that, it's a clean forum that i frequent every day...

BLUEFAKES.COM ARE SCAMMERS, LIERS, AND CHEATERS! DO NOT BUY FROM THEM!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 07:49 PM   #15
dbtheo
1addicts CA
Rep
Drives: 2005 330i ZHP cic, 2021 X5 40i

Garage List
Quote:

+ 1

also, I like bmw forums in general, first & foremost because I am an enthusiast. But also because I am able to get lots of info from them, sometimes faster than I can get here at my center. Take for example the post about the new 7 series with pics... no one here had that info besides me, because I was here. Another thing is, there is much to be gained from listening to actual owners, everything from tricks on how to do something, to information that was gained from a different dealership, that maybe we did not know. As a client advisor, ultimately, I am more informed than the average ca, which in the end can only benefit myself & the client.

Dave
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 08:40 PM   #16
lacrosse
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 997 C2

Garage List
2006 Carrera C2  [0.00]
2008 135i  [0.00]
2002 Mercedes ML 320  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
That I am not alone. Thank you all!

Gone: 2008 135i/2006 330i Arrived: 2006 997/Black/Sand Beige Leather/6MT/Sports Chrono Plus/19" Vorsteiner V-308s/Factory Nav/Sports Steering Wheel/Contrasting Mats/Heated Seats/Bose /V1/iPod adapter/Parrot Bluetooth/50% all around/Black "911" script/"Gundo Hack"/AWE black chrome tips/H&R adjustable front and rear sways/Rennline shift knob
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 08:49 PM   #17
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frimmelnojerz View Post
^^ i agree. there seems to be a good amount of patience in this forum for lack of knowledge but(maybe i'm being negative) once this forum takes off and many people have the opportunity to purchase the car at a much lower price(a year or two down the line) you will notice the quality of conversation take a SEVERE dip. It's sad but true. Another thing is that BMW is such a large company that you can't just generalize and say "they're snobby doctors". Its just not that simple anymore. there are soooo many BMWs on the road and you're bound to get jerkoffs no matter where you go. But the 1 series is...interesting...its an ugly, performance based, relatively small car. It doesn't appeal to your regular BMW audience. Its an entry level car that does non-entry level things. The old e46 M3 was a status car. Very very few people actually drove it because of how it performed. It was revered as a status car. And kinda like how they compare the 1 to other vehicles...theres no REAL rival to the 1 series...just every other car on the road. evo, cayman, g37s,s5...it could be anything but it doesn't fit in a category(yet at least). So for someone looking for a type of vehicle that fits minimalist needs and maximum performance can be very please to find that the 1 does all of these things and more....i dont remember where i was going with this.

I'm still waiting to learn something very profound, however.
i didnt mean to generalize quite so much as to say all BMW owners are snobby rich old guys, but most cars carry a stereotype and from my observation i have seen many a white haired middle aged guys in golf shirts driving them around. that said ive also seen rednecks driving them too. i didnt expect everyone here to be snobby but i did expect a bit of arrogance on the forums. ive seen none here (save for on some manual vs step debates), everyones like a family here in a way!

i do expect the sense of family to fade over time as the one becomes more mainstream. right now, everyone here regardless of their preferences - manual vs step, premium pack vs sport, 128 vs 135 - shares a love for this vehicle as evidenced by buying, or even coming just to talk about the car, so early in its life. as people who dont share a love of cars begn buying it "just for the badge" (no doubt people who dont really love this car are put off by its limited availability, almost certain need to order a car not just find it on a lot, the wait time of the order, and the lack of discounts, so they wont buy now, but as the car gets older and more popular those problems will stop) i feel like the common interests of 1addicts will lessen.

Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 08:52 PM   #18
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1speedbike View Post
. . . rich old guys, but most cars carry a stereotype and from my observation i have seen many a white haired middle aged guys in golf shirts driving them around . . .
I'll have you know that I've never been rich in my life. As for the rest of that . . . ; -)
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 09:34 PM   #19
guardianangel3290
Free at last
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2006 Audi S-line Quattro

i now know WAY too much about this car haha
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 09:56 PM   #20
ONE
YearOneOfThe1
Rep
Drives:

I find this site offers great information and has the friendliest forums.

On the down side -

German's engineer and produce fantastic automobiles, however, not very good singers!

L:smile: L – Give It Up David and Get Out Of MY Car! HAHAHA

Delivered: 08 “Year One -11- Of The 1” 08 - Debadged: 08 “Day One -11- Of The 1” 08
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 10:08 PM   #21
ScottyGams
Uber-Lee7 Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

i have learned so much from both here and E90 that I actually now have a JOB at a BMW dealership!
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 10:14 PM   #22
ONE
YearOneOfThe1
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyGams View Post
i have learned so much from both here and E90 that I actually now have a JOB at a BMW dealership!
:w00t: Scott, Sales or Service?

Delivered: 08 “Year One -11- Of The 1” 08 - Debadged: 08 “Day One -11- Of The 1” 08
Appreciate 0