BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-07-2008, 01:18 AM   #1
TazioNYC
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Huge tire blowout -- advice requested

So driving back from the IndyCar race at Watkins Glen, NY and am within sight of the GW Bridge on the palisades parkway in NJ when I hit the biggest pothole I've ever come across and BLAM, on comes the tire pressure light. I managed to get it off at the next exit, which was close, and I took a look, and the tire has separated completely from the rim, 0 air pressure. So, I get towed back to my garage in NYC, which is down the street from the NYC BMW dealer. Now, I have to take it in tomorrow, and I know I'm down at least a run flat tire, if not a wheel. Here's where the advice comes in:

I've been wanting to get (or rather save for) a set of BBG RGR wheels. I've also had my eye on the BMW performance parts wheels. I've also wanted to put 225/40/18 front, 255/35/18 read Bridgestone RE-01R tires on the car. The question is, what should I be looking to do? Tire Rack can get me a set of the bridgestones for $1K when replacing a runflat is $500 or so at the dealer...and did the runflat help or hurt me here? Would it do a better or worse job than a conventional tire at protecting the wheel rim? So should I have qualms about getting a conventional tire?

And, on the wheels, the thought did cross my mind that having a $3500 set of wheels in the tri-state area on low profile tires might not be the best idea, so perhaps i can put the extra $$ elsewhere if I get the performance parts ones from Dan @ United... Or I could get the OEM replacements, be on my way, and pursue upgrades later on down the road.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 01:21 AM   #2
TazioNYC
Lieutenant
Rep

Also, no chance the dealer takes pity on me and helps me out, right?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 03:27 AM   #3
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

Do you need a wheel for sure? Front?
      07-07-2008, 06:24 AM   #4
buckwheat986
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazioNYC View Post
So driving back from the IndyCar race at Watkins Glen, NY and am within sight of the GW Bridge on the palisades parkway in NJ when I hit the biggest pothole I've ever come across and BLAM, on comes the tire pressure light. I managed to get it off at the next exit, which was close, and I took a look, and the tire has separated completely from the rim, 0 air pressure. So, I get towed back to my garage in NYC, which is down the street from the NYC BMW dealer. Now, I have to take it in tomorrow, and I know I'm down at least a run flat tire, if not a wheel. Here's where the advice comes in:

I've been wanting to get (or rather save for) a set of BBG RGR wheels. I've also had my eye on the BMW performance parts wheels. I've also wanted to put 225/40/18 front, 255/35/18 read Bridgestone RE-01R tires on the car. The question is, what should I be looking to do? Tire Rack can get me a set of the bridgestones for $1K when replacing a runflat is $500 or so at the dealer...and did the runflat help or hurt me here? Would it do a better or worse job than a conventional tire at protecting the wheel rim? So should I have qualms about getting a conventional tire?

And, on the wheels, the thought did cross my mind that having a $3500 set of wheels in the tri-state area on low profile tires might not be the best idea, so perhaps i can put the extra $$ elsewhere if I get the performance parts ones from Dan @ United... Or I could get the OEM replacements, be on my way, and pursue upgrades later on down the road.

Thoughts?
For 1K I would try out the tire rack route...i did the same for my first Z4 and it made a big difference in ride and handling...
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 06:25 AM   #5
buckwheat986
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:

the dealer on 57th?

good luck!
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 07:16 AM   #6
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Quote:
I had a blowout leaving your lovely City two weeks ago. Forced an overnight stay with no change of clothes of toiletries... Dealer couldn't get a tire for two days, and when I picked up the car, mounting and balancing, plus the tire came out to $578... Good luck getting taken care of by the dealer...
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 08:09 AM   #7
Call
Call
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i, 08 & 07 X5, 05 MCSC

It's the best time to go for it. Get the new wheels & tires. When one of the new tires has an issue it will be less expensive to repair/replace...this is assuming you have the funds, now.

No real need to take it to the dealer...what are they going to do for you in this situation...nothing...it's not their responsibility.

Now, do make sure you post your tire/wheel purchasing experience along with pictures...we can't get enough of this kind of info.

Go for it!

Call
      07-07-2008, 09:48 AM   #8
bman6074
Major
Rep
Drives: 14 M235i and 07 Lotus Exige S

Mmm i purchased a wheel replacment plan that covers this exact misshapp. It also covers door dings and windshield cracks. Does you dealer offer any kind program. it was only 999.00. but def worth it in NYC one pot hole and it almost pays for itself.
      07-07-2008, 10:01 AM   #9
warmtoes
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: EBII 435i xDrive

Seeing what the roads are like in NYC, Long Island and New Jersey just recently, I wouldn't get anything too expensive as you're almost guaranteed to have another incident. Just my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 07:05 PM   #10
TazioNYC
Lieutenant
Rep

Quick update: took it into BMW of Manhattan, who said that the rim wasn't damaged (whew), BUT that they couldn't mount any tires other than OEM spec. So the choice was either pay $605 for ONE TIRE or find someone else who would mount something else. So I went around the block to the Infiniti service center, and they were more than happy to take me at short notice, keep my car for a day or two while Tire Rack sends them the tires. So I limped it around the block and it's safely in there waiting for my new Bridgestone RE-01Rs, 225/40/28, 255/35/18, and they're on the way thanks to Gill, who was super-helpful on the phone. Jeers to BMW of Manhattan, most of all to the guy who brought the car back around for me to pick up, who zipped it down the ramp and hit a speed bump with the wheel with the flat on it. Thanks a lot, jerkoff.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 07:22 PM   #11
mikeo
Santa Fe Concorso
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M-sport 328i, '13 X1 28i

You did the right thing, Tazio. You know of my problems with aftermarket wheels, so my assessment of the present non-OE wheel situation is "unresolved" for the 135i.
      07-07-2008, 09:33 PM   #12
TazioNYC
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks Mike. Seems like I will have to put wheels on the back burner for a bit -- my Xmas wish is new offsets from BBS. Hopefully there is demand for them, but it seems like BMW might have stuck is with an orphan except for their own wheels.
Appreciate 0