BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-03-2008, 12:11 PM   #1
mistermojorizin
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i

my front bumper got hit by something

so i'm driving on the freeway, minding my own business, when some black object flies up into the air and i hit it with my front bumper. it looked like a hubcap and it either fell off the car in front of me or the car in front of me drove over it and threw it up with its wheels. anyway i couldn't avoid it.

so i park to inspect the damage. the good news is, most of the hit got taken by my front license plate. my license plate is now all dented, i will try to take it off and straighten it out as much as i can. the funny thing is my plate is on with 4 screws so that must have been a strong hit (going like 75mph).

the bad news is there are a couple of scratches on my bumper and i won't know the full extent till i wash my car. also, the tow hook cover is now gone.

so questions:
1) where do i get a new tiag tow hook cover?
2) what should i do with the scratches? my thought is to try and get some touch up paint. where can I get a good price on that? another thought is to have the bumper repainted, but i am aprehensive to do that because i got screwed on my last car's resale because the bumper was repainted.

"KOPEYKA" /// Titanium Silver / Black Leather / Gray Poplar / Sport Package / Premium Package / 6MT / Feb 08 Production
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2008, 12:17 PM   #2
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Be thankful that didn't hit your windshield :eyebulge: and hurt you.
      07-03-2008, 12:28 PM   #3
mistermojorizin
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

it would look weird without a plate b/c i have the frame drilled into the bumper (also illegal). also, seems like running with a plate has its advantages - like protecting the bumper.

you think i should get the bumper repainted? like i said, when you go to sell it everyone checks for things being repainted and assumes the worst.

"KOPEYKA" /// Titanium Silver / Black Leather / Gray Poplar / Sport Package / Premium Package / 6MT / Feb 08 Production
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2008, 01:28 PM   #4
mistermojorizin
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

anyone know:
2) what should i do with the scratches? my thought is to try and get some touch up paint. where can I get a good price on that? another thought is to have the bumper repainted, but i am aprehensive to do that because i got screwed on my last car's resale because the bumper was repainted.

Appreciate 0
      07-03-2008, 01:53 PM   #5
gio
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermojorizin View Post
anyone know:

You can buy touch-up paint from the BMW dealer. Just call up their parts department. It should cost about $30.