BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-30-2008, 11:11 PM   #1
G5Ti
Purveyor of fine roads.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 128i

128 review - 2000 miles later

The 128i @ 2k Miles: An Unnecessarily Long List of Reflections.

I've had the 128i now for 30 days and just over 2000 miles. It's blissful.

I've filled up with gas seven times at an average of $4.19 a gallon (Shell 93, of course). It turns out the mileage calculator BMW provides is pretty decent - it indicates an average of 25.9 mpg over that time whereas actual numbers give me 26 even. Cost per mile to run on premium fuel? That would be 16 and a quarter pennies.

On the highway the other day, I had dropped with traffic to about 60mph in a 65 zone. I wanted to pass one of the slower moving cars ahead of me and I briefly felt disappointed – I knew stomping on the gas in 6th wouldn't give me the monumental push that the 135's torquey motor would provide. Then I downshifted to 4th and I thought, "holy shit: this is one hell of a beautiful transmission." If I had the more powerful vehicle, I'd probably deprive myself of buttery-smooth and insanely fulfilling shifts all the time. Granted, you can downshift in the 135, but if you do, you'll end up at least 150 miles past your intended destination. Fun? Totally. Efficient? Maybe not.

Over the course of my 2k miles, the mileage has improved steadily; on the highway, in particular, it's easy to get over 30mpg. That said, I'm guessing the 135 can provide the same sorts of numbers on long distance trips. BMW seems to have hit a balance with its I6 motor that few modern manufacturers understand: respectable economy with totally wow-worthy performance.

And the sound of that motor? Six cylinders in a row pumping out a symphony of sounds so glorious I find myself finding excuses to drive where I can hear reflections off walls. I've never been much of one to use the radio in a car, and with a motor like this, it's still a rarity for me to let the car queue up the iPod.

But when I get on a longish highway trip, the drone of monotony gets to me and I reach for the power on the standard BMW stereo system. The 128 is the first vehicle I've owned where I can actually hear classical music while driving the car. It's amazing how silent the vehicle is at speed when the windows and sunroof are shut. Schumann, Skryabin, Schoenberg – all crystal clear; and, to be honest, the 6 speakers I can find sound a hell of a lot better than the "upgraded" 10-speaker Monsoon sound system in my last '02 VW.

There are thoughtful touches everywhere. I've used the folding mirrors trick a number of times for tight parking situations; the puddle lights make me feel special every time I approach the car. Adaptive headlights? I don't think I'll ever again be able to drive a vehicle without them.

I'm also glad I opted out of the navigation craze. I enjoy the unobtrusive compass readout in the rear-view mirror. It's perfect for helping me keep my sense of direction, and the 1er is so fun, I don't care if I get a little lost on my way. Every extra mile puts a bigger smile on my face.

The interior is stunning. The combo of red leather, gray poplar, the standard aluminum accents and the black soft-touch plastics is glorious. The eye never fails to be entertained with motion and art. The sport seats have single-handedly removed back pain from life, and I often find myself sitting in them for a couple extra minutes before going in to work or the grocery. If I could, I'd buy a pair to put in my office.

Washing the car is never a chore. I decided to indulge a bit and picked up a variety of products from BMW, Griot's, Zymöl and P21. The car has such unique lines to trace; I love the subtle bulge on the sides between the character line and the side skirts. The way the trunk resolves is beautiful, and the various shapes and contours of the car never disappoint. I love the chunky yet diminutive appearance - the proportions are all just right.

I figured that Columbus, OH, would be home to a number of 1ers, and I know for a fact the two local dealerships have been selling plenty. That said, I've still only seen one customer car on the road (I saw one of the demo cars while it was out on a test drive). As a result, I get a ridiculous number of comments and looks. Folks seem to go out of their way to sneak a peak and let me know their opinions. So far, no one has had anything negative to say. I have to admit, I didn't really think an Alpine White 128 would attract all that much attention, but it seems that folks know this is something a little different - a shape that seems familiar, but unique enough to warrant interest.

In my GTi, first gear was a utility gear - its sole purpose was to get you through to a point where second gear was useful. At that point, the torque of the 1.8T motor would kick in and you were sure to have plenty of fun. Using the same technique in the 128i results in incredibly lackluster acceleration. Why? Because apparently BMW builds a superior car. First gear is both fun and useful. The car doesn't feel like it's going to fall apart if you hold it to 5k - instead, it rewards you with incredibly satisfying forward motion. Shift well, and the car continues to delight - it's so easy to drive this car competently, and it responds so well when you do. Quick shifts are no problem despite the longish shifter travel. Everything just falls into place, the motor roars, and you're off ahead of anything else around you. Whether 128 or 135, you have to watch what you're doing, because it's all to easy to be on the wrong side of the law.

In my purchasing days, the final debate came down to three vehicles: the Honda Fit (throw passion to the wind and go for pure function), the VW R32 and the 1 (still had yet to decide between 128 and 135). The R32 was a fantastic vehicle, but to me it seemed flawed on two major points (my previous VW experiences notwithstanding): the DSG transmission, which robbed the 6 of its gusto, and the track-hard suspension. The R32 drove well, but it felt like a front-engined car that had been designed as a FWD car; the AWD helped to even it out, but it still felt a little unbalanced. Moreso, the ride always reminded you that this vehicle used a performance-tuned suspension. Remember the story of the princess and the pea? That's the R32 – you can feel every minute pebble on the road.

With the 1, I was thoroughly impressed - when pushed, the 1 acted like a train on rails. When cruising, it could almost pass for a luxury vehicle known for soft, pillowy rides. The ability to play Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde is a plus in my world, because I appreciate a little comfort now and again; but I need the car to respond when it's time for fun.

If I were the type who lived within 20 miles of the track or had a schedule that allowed me to participate in all the local auto-crosses, I probably would've sprung for the 135 - the N54 seems to deliver the sort of performance that would make shredding through a set of tires enjoyable enough that my bank account would forgive its ever-decreasing balance. In the end, I'm still completely content with the 128 – it's easily the best car I've ever owned.

Feel free to share your thoughts and opinions; new owners and soon-to-be owners, please feel free to ask questions - I'm always happy to give my thoughts. And of course, I hope all of your experiences with your 1s are as euphoric as mine.
      06-30-2008, 11:25 PM   #2
Artmasterx
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Garage List
2006 Volvo V70R  [10.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
I'm glad to hear your really enjoying it, despite making the wait even harder...

Although the 135 would have been great, I decided on the 128 for similar reasons:
1. It has plenty of usable power for everyday use and the occasional spirited drive
2. You can feel like you are driving it harder than the 135, and still be less illegal than in a 135.
3. It will primarily be my wife's everyday car (i know what you're thinking... but she deserves it for putting me through grad school and being awesome). You can be sure I will steal it fairly often though.

Hopefully the next 2.5 months will go by fast...

Did you spring for a break-in oil change on your car?

FORMERLY: 128i coupe
Alpine White | Sports Package | Black Leather
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 11:39 PM   #3
Arnie712
Rep
Drives:

Nice review -- thanks. I'm waiting for my 2009 135i coupe and my unabashed opinion is the 1 series coupes embody everything BMW has learned in 50+ years of car design and manufacturing. There is no better combination of enjoyable attributes in a compact, well-built 4-passenger vehicle.
It performs like a super car yet you can live with it day-to-day. And the cost is around 10K$ more than a nice Honda or Toyota.
A bargain!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 11:51 PM   #4
mikeo
Santa Fe Concorso
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M-sport 328i, '13 X1 28i

Nicely written review and I still say if I didn't live at 7000ft. I'd would have gone for the 128i.
      07-01-2008, 04:52 AM   #5
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
You've pointed out a lot of the reasons that the 1 is superior to many of the talked about alternatives. It can mix it up with anyone or it can serenely carry you home. The best of both worlds.
      07-02-2008, 07:32 PM   #6
G5Ti
Purveyor of fine roads.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artmasterx View Post
I thought about it, and then 1200 miles came and went like nothing. :-) I'm still considering a sub-3k change just for my own sanity, but the Mini in the household has been going according to its service indicators and nothing is at all amiss. It runs like a champ at 15k.

I look at this way: if BMW is recommending a service schedule that causes its vehicles to fail out of warranty, it will be hit with a massive class-action lawsuit costing millions upon millions of dollars. The US is litigation-happy and the Internet allows for consumers to join en masse in their troubles and tribulations. I seriously doubt following the indicated service schedule will cause problems, but for my sanity, $75 is probably worth it.
      07-03-2008, 12:34 AM   #7
1Ronnie
Ronnie
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 Sedona 128i

Thanks, it's always nice to hear from a happy 128 dirver, so much talk about the 135. I can't wait for mine to make it's way across the Atlantic and the Canadian Prairies, but I'm sure I'll enjoy it as much as you.
      07-03-2008, 02:05 PM   #8
axoid
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '09 128i

Nice write up. I'm planning on a 128 next year, but with all of the focus on the 135 it keeps slipping into my head to buy that instead. But I keep reminding myself that I don't need aouther go-fast car when I already have one that will top a 135.

Hearing things like this from 128 owers helps to remind me that the '28 is the right choice for me.

Bill [92 Camaro RS (Autocross ESP / Trackrat) | 09 BMW 128i Sport Package]
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2008, 02:28 PM   #9
plosta
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

From another 128 coupe owner I can relate to all that was said. I test drove both the 128 and 135. The 135 was too much like the 333hp M3 I had. A ticket waiting to happen. I recently took my 128 on some NC back roads and it will go as fast as one wants to and handle the curves just fine.
      07-03-2008, 02:56 PM   #10
spudw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i

Not to suggest the 135i is an out-and-out, over-the-top road rocket, but the 128i really seems to provide a satisfying compact BMW experience without what for most would be excess performance potential.

I'd love to have a 135i just to have it, and to use the potential on the rare occasions that I break away from my mundane daily driving routine. But the reality is that the 128i is a very satisfying sports coupe in its own right and provides everything most of us would want from a daily driver.

Nicely written review, G5Ti. Hope I can continue to live vicariously through your musings until I get my own 1er...
      07-03-2008, 03:26 PM   #11
Litflynt912
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 228i GC Alpine

You hit the nail on the head!
Your review although biased, was to the point of why BMW built both the 128 and 135...
I had the same decision to make...do I go for a car that has a engine that is well known in a car almost 600lbs lighter than a sedan or get the twin turbos and continuously worry about that.
I can almost relate to every point you made about the feel, the ride and quality of the 128i.
I was one of the first on the road in AZ to pick up a 128 and I must say, people do go out of their way to admire and sneak peeks at the car.
Not why I bought it but it keeps me humble and reminds me why BMW is BMW.
By your review you opted for the manual and I couldn't decide between the two...obviously by taking the step I lost my acceleration but I can attest the 128i is the best car I have ever owned(This is car 20 in the last 6 years)

I am also geting an oil change here shortly, just passed 1200 miles yesterday, have had my AW since April 30th.

I am glad the 128's are starting to get some love...otherwise we would have had to make this the 135addicts forum:drinking: J/k
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2008, 08:12 PM   #12
F0Bman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Nice write up man. I totally agree.
2002 Corolla CE Daily Driver

www.TheTunerSource.com
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2008, 09:35 PM   #13
Steve135i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

What a great review, wow. You could write for car magazines. I am very happy you are satisfied so much. Makes it much harder to wait to get one of these fun machines.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2008, 12:31 AM   #14
europlane
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

TODAY.
Finally today (Sunday) I fly to Munich. I'll pick my 128 up at the Welt on Tuesday and I'll drive it on the Alps and Northern Italy.

Thanks for your 128 review. I hope I'll like it as much as you.

Appreciate 0
      07-10-2008, 03:22 PM   #15
Brandon26pdx
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

So the stock/non upgraded audio system is pretty good then? (I hadn't planned on spending any extra money on audio related biz except for the I-pod hookup)
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2008, 03:50 PM   #16
imported_Katera
Captain
Rep
Drives:

I think the 128 is a phenomenal car. As a 135i owner I can really see the benefit of the 128i. I love my 135i and would not trade her for anything, but the simple fact is that I am illegal 90% of the time behind the wheel. The smoothness + power just simply makes it so easy to drive fast it's unreal. The simple fact is I don't need the power of the 135i. I just want it. The 128i is more then enough for daily driving.
-Boston Grey Leather with Black High Gloss Accent
-Moonlit Black Top
-Comfort Access
-Premium P.
-Sport P.
-Premium Stereo
-IPOD/USB
-BMW Performance Pedals
-BMW Windscreen
-Sat Radio

Meet Kat!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2008, 03:50 PM   #17
lib
Major
Rep
Drives: <This space for rent>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon26pdx View Post
So the stock/non upgraded audio system is pretty good then? (I hadn't planned on spending any extra money on audio related biz except for the I-pod hookup)
It's fine for most people.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2008, 04:13 PM   #18
G5Ti
Purveyor of fine roads.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lib View Post
It's fine for most people.
I think that unless you're a true audiophile who absolutely loves listening to music in your vehicle, the stock stereo is fantastic and you could spend your money better elsewhere.

The truth is, if you're connecting an iPod to your BMW and you've never messed with the import settings in iTunes, you absolutely do NOT need the premium HiFi. If you understand codecs and bitrates and the like, then you're probably the type who will appreciate the premium goods.
      07-11-2008, 04:38 PM   #19
EspressoBoy
1addict, and proud
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 08

Keep writing. You know your car well.

I have decided that there is no wrong choice for the 1. NONE!
Every1 is different. The only wrong choice is for yourself. I am glad you got what you wanted. Careful thought does help a lot in choosing! Take your time. Pro's Cons. Try be4 U buy!

I don't regret not getting Steptronic, active steering, metalic paint, as they are in the 5% for me...even 135 vs 128 is well maybe not in my 5%, but it's the drive...

I absolutely love the drive. Before I had 4 cylinder 7 year old Corolla, and it was great between a-n-b, but I missed the drive. NOW, iDrive!

For me, it is that good.!!! I have my share of critics though, some nonBMW ppl tell me it was a huge mistake. Mainly because of hear say, and old stories of BMW. Even if these "issues" were true, the DRIVE is amazing!

Take a car for a drive for yourself. If a test drive doesn't cut it, try renting 1. Remember ppl in USA, you get 10-30% cheaper than we do (Canadians). If I lived in USA, I just might be temped to own 2 BMW's. Hmmm a 10+ old for winters?

EspressoBoy

Note:
95% is the drive
5% is everything else
that's me!
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2008, 11:30 PM   #20
The Chad
Private
Rep
Drives: Honda S2000

Interestingly enough, I was in Columbus last week and saw 2 down in the Arena district, and neither of them were AW.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2008, 02:02 AM   #21
Qube
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E39 540 :: 09 STi

Awesome writeup! A pleasure to read... funny thing, I was thinking about same things as I passed 2500kms today on the 128 vert.

A little on Artmasterx's post...

1. It does, but even with AC off, it just doesn't pull very hard in 2nd or 3rd.
2. Yes, yes you can... you get to enjoy the sound of the motor and exhaust (golf tee mod !!) much longer. The 135 'legal play' time is much, MUCH less.
3. She has the 135 I'm starting to wonder to myself why I didn't spring for the 135 vert with CA at $99cdn a month difference... but $99 buys two tanks of gas I guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artmasterx View Post
I'm glad to hear your really enjoying it, despite making the wait even harder...

Although the 135 would have been great, I decided on the 128 for similar reasons:
1. It has plenty of usable power for everyday use and the occasional spirited drive
2. You can feel like you are driving it harder than the 135, and still be less illegal than in a 135.
3. It will primarily be my wife's everyday car (i know what you're thinking... but she deserves it for putting me through grad school and being awesome). You can be sure I will steal it fairly often though.

Hopefully the next 2.5 months will go by fast...